News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed about Geary. He's served his purpose as a circuit breaker between the Riewoldt captaincy and future skippers. Tough uncompromising but a very blunt instrument. Our captain should be more of a Roo type, with guys like Gears as his sergeants. We don't really have a Roo type, but someone smart, skilled and someone who isn't mates with everyone. Right now the closest we have is Hannebury. He'll do.

Mate I'm.no fan of Gearys playing ability, but I can't fathom this sort of view.

The guy is as tough as they come as well as heart and soul.

As for Roo...

If he was so perfect, why did he depart and leave such a void of leadership?

When the boots where being stuck into THE North coach , did anyone here from Bomber , Waite or Petrie / however has anyone heard from Riewoldt or Montagna about Richardson.

Seem's to me the Nth coach handled the retiring players a bit better and sometimes those feelings can still be held at the club through friendships.

Anyway it should have no effect on how badly our team is playing , it should only effect how many knifes are being driven into the back of the coach when the team doesn't perform.
Do Petrie or Waite appear have multiple weekly radio segments and appear on the Fox shows weekly?

Thats the big difference there.

The problem with Roo was that he was just such a big character that it probably stunted the growth of fellow leaders. He needed a Lenny with this young group. Of which Joey isn’t.

Don’t forget in pre season 08/09 the feedback Roo and Bj got was that they needed to accept others in the group for what they are and not that they are not them.

In 2010 the bubble came about and all the issues coupled with the GF losses probably created an enhanced Roo in terms of standards. He took on the Greek tragedy that personifies STKFC in my opinion.
Mate I'm.no fan of Gearys playing ability, but I can't fathom this sort of view.

The guy is as tough as they come as well as heart and soul.

As for Roo...

If he was so perfect, why did he depart and leave such a void of leadership?

Best line from The Front Bar with Harves...

They ask him if he still harbours an ambition to coach.
Harves answers, he’s been an assistant coach for 10 years now, just biding his time till the right position comes along.

Sam...”So, North, Saints, Carlton or the Bombers....which club do you want to be sacked from in two years time?”

Last edited:
Ran into our mate Eric Bana in Positano yesterday. Walked into a sunglasses store and he was in there trying on glasses. I said “hey mate” he said “hi“ probably hoping I didn’t recognise him. I then quietly said “those saints of ours are killing me” he replied “oh mate, don’t get me started!” And his wife laughed. My wife then said “out of all the people he finds to talk footy with!” His family laughed and we said goodbye and safe travels.

Was a good encounter and a reminder how football connects us all.

Go Saints

Ran into our mate Eric Bana in Positano yesterday. Walked into a sunglasses store and he was in there trying on glasses. I said “hey mate” he said “hi“ probably hoping I didn’t recognise him. I then quietly said “those saints of ours are killing me” he replied “oh mate, don’t get me started!” And his wife laughed. My wife then said “out of all the people he finds to talk footy with!” His family laughed and we said goodbye and safe travels.

Was a good encounter and a reminder how football connects us all.

Go Saints

Tim Watson is on his way there now too. You can talk footy all week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billings on SEN Breakfast

Dunstan on KB and Doc

I reckon Dunstan is one of the best interviewees at the club. Actually answers honestly which is refreshing.

Robbo: Despite conspiracy theories, St Kilda coach Alan Richardson needs to win to save his job
While there are some who believe under-fire St Kilda mentor Alan Richardson is on borrowed time, the reality is he is coaching for his future against Richmond in Maddie’s Match, Mark Robinson writes.
Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
an hour ago
Close

FOXSPORTS2:14
Reiwoldt talks Maddie's Match
AFL: Former Saints star Nick Riewoldt talks about the iconic fixture between the Tigers and Saints, renamed 'Maddies Mat...

MORE IN SPORT

Late Mail: Storm lose star, Knights gain Klem

Angry Aussie leaves trail of racquet destruction

similars

Conspiracies abound about St Kilda and Alan Richardson.
Mainly that Richardson is gone as coach — regardless of what plays out in the next eight weeks — and that Brad Scott will replace him.
It is a cosy scenario, knowing that Saints football boss Simon Lethlean and Scott are great mates and old Ammos boys.
3bb42eb5e147d1d659a55951c3a031ba
Is St Kilda coach Alan Richardson on borrowed time? Picture: AAP
It extends further than that. Graeme “Gubby” Allan, the maestro veteran at the Saints, is also an old Ammos boy.
And James Gallagher, the list manager, is an old Ammos boy and great mates with Lethlean. Talk about the Ammos crew.
But there are conspiracies and there are facts.
The fact is Richardson is coaching for his future.
If his team defeats Richmond tomorrow at Marvel Stadium, it could be the best coaching performance of the year.
That’s because what he has had to deal with this week goes above and beyond his job description.
His players were effectively informed by Lethlean’s radio interview last Sunday that he might not be coaching next year.
That has to have a negative impact on individual players and the entire playing group.
Why Lethlean chose to go public last Sunday on 3AW would enthuse the conspirators.
While openness and honesty are always welcomed in football, it hardly helped Richardson.
Was it a political play by Lethlean or a naive one?
For Richo’s sake, let’s hope it was naivety.
213f96002e22db7018cc2927db7db105
Richardson and Lethlean discuss tactics during a clash with Hawthorn last year. Picture: Michael Klein
Lethlean’s comments came two days after Wayne Carey wrote that Richardson was a contender for Coach of the Year and a day after Brisbane shamed the Saints with a nine-goal third term.
“Alan is our coach and if we keep improving, Alan will remain our coach,’’ Lethlean said.
If they don’t? Well, he didn’t have to answer that one.
“Wins and losses are what everyone is judged on in the end,’’ Lethlean continued.
“The scrutiny is fair enough and our response is what dictates where the scrutiny goes.’’
You could not have imagined Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh turning up the heat in the same way on Nathan Buckley during the delicate 2017 season.
Or Chris Grant undermining Luke Beveridge when asked about the Dogs’ dip in form since the 2016 premiership.
Richardson already had headaches after the loss to the Lions, without Lethlean adding more.
Rodney Eade said he believed Richardson’s papers were stamped.
David King said he would be staggered if Scott wasn’t coaching St Kilda next year.
Terry Wallace spoke of the potential breakdown of trust and creeping doubts for the players.
When that happened, he said, the coach was dead in the water.
Grant Thomas simply demanded the Saints spend $2 million on a new coach.
The general consensus was that Lethlean’s comments were foreboding.
When he should have circled the wagons around Richardson and the club, he instead went General Custer and opened up Richardson to a media massacre.
It is not something you would expect from your loyal right-hand man.
This has been the backdrop to St Kilda’s preparations for tomorrow’s clash with Richmond.
Now Richardson has to get his players up for a game of football. And not just any game.
This is Maddie’s Match — a fundraiser in honour of Nick Riewoldt’s sister.
This is St Kilda’s biggest match of the year. It’s one for the soul as well as four points.
Richardson, like all coaches, uses imagery and messages to set the tone. This week’s message has to be about response.
He may reference Maddie, or indeed, he may not have to because the players are fully aware of the fight Maddie endured. The key word there is “fight”.
Against the Lions, the players raised the white flag. They absolutely can’t do the same tomorrow.
MORE RICHO:
The eight words which could condemn Richo
‘Embarrassed’: Richo takes ownership of loss
The magic number that could save Richo
Robbo: Will injury issues help Richo’s cause?
They need to fight for themselves, each other, the coach, the club and the fans.
They’ve made a pretty good fist of fighting this year, so the exercise in front of them should not be too daunting.
Curiously, it’s the external observers who have rated Richardson’s coaching performance this year highly, certainly more so than internally.
The art of coaching has so many levels. There’s coaching a young, maturing team; there’s coaching a bottom team; there’s improving a mid-table team; there’s coaching a contender; coaching a premier; and, there’s a coaching a repeat premier.
Then there’s Richardson’s situation.
He’s coached an injury-ravaged team and they have still won six games.
People will argue two of them came against Gold Coast by one and four points, one against Hawthorn by five points and they beat Carlton by only 13 points.
Still, they are wins and as Lethlean noted: “Wins and losses are what everyone is judged on in the end.’’
b9c3be574ce59f9fe9e995f51570a4de
Alan Richardson speaks with St Kilda consultant Graeme ‘Gubby’ Allan. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
This week has arguably been Richardson’s toughest.
He’s had to review a poor loss and then reinvigorate players who just might be looking at him differently. What level is that in the art of coaching?
If they win tomorrow, it should be worth 10 times the pats on the back, considering the backdrop.
The same has to be said of Essendon coach John Worsfold.
The win on Thursday night, against the odds, was by far the best performance by Essendon this season.
Still, it’s going to be difficult for the Saints.
They have brought in Nick Coffield, Ben Paton and Ben Long, and nine of the team — Coffield, Paton, Long, Nick Hind, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Hunter Clark, Josh Battle and Rowan Marshall — have played fewer than 25 games.
Being competitive for four quarters will be a pass mark.
As for Richardson, his career is on a knife’s edge.
The Saints also play North Melbourne (Hobart), Geelong (GMHBA), Western Bulldogs (Marvel), Melbourne (Marvel), Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), Fremantle (Marvel), Carlton (MCG) and Sydney (SCG) coming home.
If the coach can find another five wins, that gives him 11 for the season and that would be quite remarkable.
Whether that satisfies the Ammos old boys remains to be seen.
28cfb7fe4a2d3970d676fb7d7964d45d

Robbo: Despite conspiracy theories, St Kilda coach Alan Richardson needs to win to save his job
While there are some who believe under-fire St Kilda mentor Alan Richardson is on borrowed time, the reality is he is coaching for his future against Richmond in Maddie’s Match, Mark Robinson writes.
Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
an hour ago
Close

FOXSPORTS2:14
Reiwoldt talks Maddie's Match
AFL: Former Saints star Nick Riewoldt talks about the iconic fixture between the Tigers and Saints, renamed 'Maddies Mat...

MORE IN SPORT

Late Mail: Storm lose star, Knights gain Klem

Angry Aussie leaves trail of racquet destruction

similars

Conspiracies abound about St Kilda and Alan Richardson.
Mainly that Richardson is gone as coach — regardless of what plays out in the next eight weeks — and that Brad Scott will replace him.
It is a cosy scenario, knowing that Saints football boss Simon Lethlean and Scott are great mates and old Ammos boys.
3bb42eb5e147d1d659a55951c3a031ba
Is St Kilda coach Alan Richardson on borrowed time? Picture: AAP
It extends further than that. Graeme “Gubby” Allan, the maestro veteran at the Saints, is also an old Ammos boy.
And James Gallagher, the list manager, is an old Ammos boy and great mates with Lethlean. Talk about the Ammos crew.
But there are conspiracies and there are facts.
The fact is Richardson is coaching for his future.
If his team defeats Richmond tomorrow at Marvel Stadium, it could be the best coaching performance of the year.
That’s because what he has had to deal with this week goes above and beyond his job description.
His players were effectively informed by Lethlean’s radio interview last Sunday that he might not be coaching next year.
That has to have a negative impact on individual players and the entire playing group.
Why Lethlean chose to go public last Sunday on 3AW would enthuse the conspirators.
While openness and honesty are always welcomed in football, it hardly helped Richardson.
Was it a political play by Lethlean or a naive one?
For Richo’s sake, let’s hope it was naivety.
213f96002e22db7018cc2927db7db105
Richardson and Lethlean discuss tactics during a clash with Hawthorn last year. Picture: Michael Klein
Lethlean’s comments came two days after Wayne Carey wrote that Richardson was a contender for Coach of the Year and a day after Brisbane shamed the Saints with a nine-goal third term.
“Alan is our coach and if we keep improving, Alan will remain our coach,’’ Lethlean said.
If they don’t? Well, he didn’t have to answer that one.
“Wins and losses are what everyone is judged on in the end,’’ Lethlean continued.
“The scrutiny is fair enough and our response is what dictates where the scrutiny goes.’’
You could not have imagined Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh turning up the heat in the same way on Nathan Buckley during the delicate 2017 season.
Or Chris Grant undermining Luke Beveridge when asked about the Dogs’ dip in form since the 2016 premiership.
Richardson already had headaches after the loss to the Lions, without Lethlean adding more.
Rodney Eade said he believed Richardson’s papers were stamped.
David King said he would be staggered if Scott wasn’t coaching St Kilda next year.
Terry Wallace spoke of the potential breakdown of trust and creeping doubts for the players.
When that happened, he said, the coach was dead in the water.
Grant Thomas simply demanded the Saints spend $2 million on a new coach.
The general consensus was that Lethlean’s comments were foreboding.
When he should have circled the wagons around Richardson and the club, he instead went General Custer and opened up Richardson to a media massacre.
It is not something you would expect from your loyal right-hand man.
This has been the backdrop to St Kilda’s preparations for tomorrow’s clash with Richmond.
Now Richardson has to get his players up for a game of football. And not just any game.
This is Maddie’s Match — a fundraiser in honour of Nick Riewoldt’s sister.
This is St Kilda’s biggest match of the year. It’s one for the soul as well as four points.
Richardson, like all coaches, uses imagery and messages to set the tone. This week’s message has to be about response.
He may reference Maddie, or indeed, he may not have to because the players are fully aware of the fight Maddie endured. The key word there is “fight”.
Against the Lions, the players raised the white flag. They absolutely can’t do the same tomorrow.
MORE RICHO:
The eight words which could condemn Richo
‘Embarrassed’: Richo takes ownership of loss
The magic number that could save Richo
Robbo: Will injury issues help Richo’s cause?
They need to fight for themselves, each other, the coach, the club and the fans.
They’ve made a pretty good fist of fighting this year, so the exercise in front of them should not be too daunting.
Curiously, it’s the external observers who have rated Richardson’s coaching performance this year highly, certainly more so than internally.
The art of coaching has so many levels. There’s coaching a young, maturing team; there’s coaching a bottom team; there’s improving a mid-table team; there’s coaching a contender; coaching a premier; and, there’s a coaching a repeat premier.
Then there’s Richardson’s situation.
He’s coached an injury-ravaged team and they have still won six games.
People will argue two of them came against Gold Coast by one and four points, one against Hawthorn by five points and they beat Carlton by only 13 points.
Still, they are wins and as Lethlean noted: “Wins and losses are what everyone is judged on in the end.’’
b9c3be574ce59f9fe9e995f51570a4de
Alan Richardson speaks with St Kilda consultant Graeme ‘Gubby’ Allan. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
This week has arguably been Richardson’s toughest.
He’s had to review a poor loss and then reinvigorate players who just might be looking at him differently. What level is that in the art of coaching?
If they win tomorrow, it should be worth 10 times the pats on the back, considering the backdrop.
The same has to be said of Essendon coach John Worsfold.
The win on Thursday night, against the odds, was by far the best performance by Essendon this season.
Still, it’s going to be difficult for the Saints.
They have brought in Nick Coffield, Ben Paton and Ben Long, and nine of the team — Coffield, Paton, Long, Nick Hind, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Hunter Clark, Josh Battle and Rowan Marshall — have played fewer than 25 games.
Being competitive for four quarters will be a pass mark.
As for Richardson, his career is on a knife’s edge.
The Saints also play North Melbourne (Hobart), Geelong (GMHBA), Western Bulldogs (Marvel), Melbourne (Marvel), Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), Fremantle (Marvel), Carlton (MCG) and Sydney (SCG) coming home.
If the coach can find another five wins, that gives him 11 for the season and that would be quite remarkable.
Whether that satisfies the Ammos old boys remains to be seen.
28cfb7fe4a2d3970d676fb7d7964d45d
That sad ape Robbo trying to imply that Lethal Leth and Gubby are amateurs and his old buddy Richo is actually a damn good coach.

Tell you what Robbo, why don't you insist Richo coach your beloved Bombers for the next 6 years. We'll even throw in Danny Sexton. For nothing.

Bevo was all locked in to be our director of coaching......a couple of months later the dogs offered him the job of head coach....the rest is history.

Can't say I'd object to him being our next coach.

Added great polish to a young list that was basically ready to go.

Bevo was all locked in to be our director of coaching......a couple of months later the dogs offered him the job of head coach....the rest is history.

What do people think of his style of footy?

I think he came to us from Hawthorn.

A Ratten or Bevo as coach would be great.

Anyone but Scott.

Actually well written and complimentary article by Malthouse in the HS. I can't link but if someone can it's worth a read

Mick Malthouse questions why St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is under pressure after injury-riddled campaign
St Kilda is in freefall and Alan Richardson is about to lose his job, if you listen to the critics. But that view represents ‘a failure of basic math’ according to coaching legend Mick Malthouse.
Mick Malthouse, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
June 29, 2019 5:30pm
Close

FOXSPORTS1:49
Is it D-Day for Worsfold?
AFL: AFL 360 talk about the future of Essendon coach John Worsfold.

MORE IN SPORT

‘I winged it’: How Blicavs inspired turnaround

What Simpson told North Melbourne

similars

Own up if you had St Kilda in your top eight at the start of the season.
If you did, on what basis did you tip the Saints to make the finals after finishing 16th last season with four-and-a-half wins?

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST
Most football fans left St Kilda out of their September calculations, so why then are the Saints being so harshly judged and condemned at the halfway point of the season when they are only a game outside the eight?
It’s mystifying.
a90a9293c6cff2985d382f347ec806f7
Mick Malthouse is ‘mystified’ that Alan Richardson is under pressure. Picture: AAP Image/David Crosling.
Let’s look at the facts.
In Round 1, St Kilda beat Gold Coast by a point, in a “should-win” game.
Round 2 it had a commendable win against a club expected to make the eight, Essendon.
Round 3 it lost to this season’s big improver Fremantle, by less than a goal in an away game. Round 4 it knocked over Alastair Clarkson’s Hawks, a club expected to make big inroads this year.
And in Round 5 it thumped last season’s preliminary finalist, Melbourne, a team then considered a chance to go at least one better this year.
f7d15ceed745255bcea605522d5c1a31
Mick Malthouse says St Kilda’s win over Hawthorn was evidence it is on the right path.
From Rounds 6-10 it was defeated by league leaders Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney, West Coast and Collingwood, before beating Carlton, losing to Port Adelaide in China with half the team fighting a stomach bug, beating Gold Coast again, and losing to current sixth-placed Brisbane Lions.
In other words, the Saints’ losses have all been inflicted by teams currently in the top eight.
After Round 14 they have already surpassed last season’s win-loss record, which is improvement in itself, and in my book a solid case to say they are competitive.
In the middle of a rebuilding phase, this is a reasonable position for St Kilda to be in.
ROBBO: ARE RICHO’S PAPERS STAMPED?
GAWN: MY FAVOURITE UNIQUE FOOTBALLERS
KENNETT: HAWKS SUFFERING IN SILENCE

Let’s look even closer.
Hawthorn finished fourth in the 2018 home-and-away season. Melbourne was fifth and Sydney sixth. These three clubs now sit a game or more below St Kilda on the ladder.
The Saints take on Richmond tomorrow. The Tigers finished top of the ladder last year before finals. They are now ninth, just a game ahead of the Saints.
So why is it that from this pack of clubs, the Saints, and coach Alan Richardson, are under the heaviest scrutiny? They are the improvers.
Let’s delve deeper again.
632db48d05ffafc51d48dd65a6383354
Recruit Dean Kent celebrates a goal during St Kilda’s win over Gold Coast.
Clubs on the edge of breaking into the top eight need a full contingent of key personnel to have the best chance of making it.
High-profile clubs with great depth can cover injuries. When you’re a battler, injuries to key players are catastrophic.
St Kilda has had the fewest number of soft tissue injuries in the competition this year and the club should be commended for this.
But what the Saints have had is bad luck, losing important players to contact injuries, concussion and mental health issues.
Has Alan Richardson been judged harshly?

Results
Has Alan Richardson been judged harshly?

Yes
87%

No
13%
72 Voters
Key forward Paddy McCartin; key backs Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle; key mid and inspirational leader Jack Steven; and captain Jarryn Geary have all had long stints on the sidelines. Big-name recruit Dan Hannebery played just his first game for the club last week after arriving with soft-tissue problems.
I’d defy anyone to suggest you can compete at your best without those names, especially when you lack the depth to efficiently cover them.
Contact is part of the game, and while you’d love not to have them, sometimes the injury gods smile on you, and other times they don’t. St Kilda hasn’t used its long list of injuries as an excuse for any loss, but it must be highly frustrating and certainly debilitating.
We also need to look at the draw.
The Saints travelled to Shanghai for their clash with Port Adelaide, where a virus felled half the team and the staff. Yes, they then had the bye. But their next game was in Townsville of all places. More travelling.
4527248de4c0f4550240755558edb07b
Sans fans had to wait until Round 14 to see marquee recruit Dan Hannebery in action.
Port Adelaide also played away in this round and lost. Surely the AFL needs to put more thought into this scenario.
Now, let’s look at the positives for St Kilda.
Jack Billings has emerged as an AFL A-grader. Jade Gresham has exploded into the top echelon of small forwards. In ruckman Billy Longer’s absence, Rowan Marshall has been a revelation and reminds me of a more athletic Shane Mumford — a brutal goal-kicker who could have a massive impact on the competition.
Jack Steele has given them a handy midfield, tag, and ball-getting option (although he too is now sidelined with a knee injury.) Seb Ross still serves the Saints well. Dean Kent has been a wonderful pick up from Melbourne and will only get better.
And if Josh Bruce can improve his workload and consistency, together with Tim Membrey and Max King they have the potential to worry any opposing backline.
917e5507dfb35633eb1c8bd77bcf26c0
Jack Billings’ emergence as an A-Grader has been a huge positive from St Kilda’s year.
The Saints rely heavily on a handful of top-line players, so when they lose one or two of them it loads up the remaining quality players who become easy targets for a hard tag.
But they have been outstanding in some contests. When St Kilda moves the ball quickly and directly, it is capable of beating anyone. When movement is slow and overuse seeps into the Saints’ game, they become vulnerable to being easily scored against.
St Kilda isn’t out of the woods yet. It needs to recruit well in the next couple of seasons and should fight hard for a big-name free agent.
But to suggest the Saints are failing and deserve unrelenting scrutiny is to fail at basic math. Add in the key components of past seasons, injuries, the draw and compare with other teams around them on the ladder, and the sum will equate to a different answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back