News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

With world at his feet, Nova’s boy puts his pedigree to work
Nova Peris with her son Jack, a prospective AFL player and sprinter who has been included in the Flying Boomerangs squad. Picture: Aaron Francis Nova Peris with her son Jack, a prospective AFL player and sprinter who has been included in the Flying Boomerangs squad. Picture: Aaron Francis
  • COURTNEY WALSH
    SPORTS REPORTER
    e904d74fee03e75c67f498b00079dcec
  • 12:00AM JULY 13, 2019
  • NO COMMENTS
Jack Peris, an aspiring athlete and footballer who is the son of two Australian Olympians, is well versed in juggling his dreams and is at the wonderful age where the world awaits him.
But where it ultimately takes him is something Peris is still deciding, with good reason given his youth but more so because of his abundant talent in many disciplines.
The 15-year-old is already a four-time national athletics champion blessed with the speed of his mum Nova Peris and late father Daniel Batman. But there is far more to “Jacky Boy” than his sprint.
READ NEXT
A cousin and friend of Geelong’s emerging star Brandan Parfitt, Peris is also a member of St Kilda’s football academy and has spent the past week travelling Victoria with the Flying Boomerangs, a squad of 25 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders drawn from around Australia.
As his mother said, it is possible that over the next couple of years, her boy could represent Australia in the under-20 World Athletics Championships, with a spot in the 4x400m relay a legitimate goal, be drafted by an AFL club and begin a university degree.
“Obviously myself and his late father, we are both Olympians. For Jack, it is not even an impossible dream, nor an improbable one,” she told The Weekend Australian.
“He knows the road. He knows what to do to go down that road and to be committed, which is a beautiful thing. At some stage, he is going to have to make that decision.
“And his second cousin is Brandan Parfitt. The pair used to play backyard footy when growing up in Darwin (and) Jack is now watching Brandon playing in the midfield alongside bloody (Patrick) Dangerfield and carving it up getting 26, 27 disposals. Footy is a realistic dream for him.”
Expectations can prove a burden and Nova Peris is mindful of what her son is going through.
She noted that, aged nine, she featured on the front page of The Northern Territory News with a caption saying she could be the woman to win gold for Australia when Melbourne was considering a bid for the 1988 Olympics.
But she said her son had proven himself capable of coping with all manner of challenges.
Early in his life, Peris has dealt with the tragic loss of his father in a car accident.
He has been inspired by an Olympic gold medal-winning mother who entered the national political sphere and also lived, at different stages, in Darwin, Canberra, Broome and Melbourne, where he initially boarded and is now a day student.
His parents are clear role models, with Peris regularly revisiting their deeds via YouTube, while his stepfather Scott Appleton has also had a significant influence on the youngster’s emergence as a potential AFL draftee.
So, too, his boyhood mate and cousin Parfitt, the recently retired Hawks hero Cyril Rioli and, at St Kilda, footballer Ben Long and former champ Nick dal Santo, who provided support as he recovered from a severe hamstring injury suffered last December.
His life is particularly busy but given his love of all aspects, even his schooling at Melbourne Grammar, Peris would not have it any other way.
And he has placed a clear emphasis on his education, mindful it might well prove his most important skill in the long term.
“It is hard to manage both things but I do well at school. My No 1 thing is my education,” he said. “Education is extremely important and I have to keep up on that. It is important to have a plan A and plan B and plan C.”
He hopes one day to become a marine biologist and follow in the footsteps of family members working out “on country” in the Kimberleys and Arnhem Land.
“I am actually so fortunate in the way he is so committed to his education and he gets fantastic grades,” Nova Peris said.
“I have never been on his back to do his homework. It is a testament to his dedication. The emphasis on his education is important.”
As an intelligent student learning more about his indigenous heritage every day — he is growing into a proud Gidja, Yawura and Muran man — Peris is determined to represent his people and his nation.
The past few weeks, where he has spent time with boys aged between 14 and 16 in the Boomerangs squad but also his mother out on country, have been particularly special.
A visit to the Grampians for a cultural visit, some charity work with the Salvation Army and a couple of matches against a World Team comprising the best emerging multicultural footballers has made for a brilliant week.
“It is awesome because, obviously, it is really good to surround myself with the Aboriginal boys and be able to represent my culture and my family as well,” he said.
“On a personal level, it is very important to me to represent a national team. There are a lot of cultural aspects from it and I am learning more about it every day.”
The week before Peris, who is the NAIDOC Sportsperson of the Year, had been back in Arnhem Land with his mother.
The area is of particular importance given his ancestry but also because it is a region where he feels a close connection with his father, who died in a car crash in Marrakai, near Darwin, in 2012.
“We, as Aboriginals, are quite spiritual and we believe in reincarnation,” Nova Peris said.
“Jack and I were back in Arnhem Land last week and every time we go out on country and see an eagle, he often thinks that it is his father.
“Both kids have a shrine to him at home and there is a lot of memorabilia at home. Daniel’s presence is very much still there.”
Peris is still in the midst of his boyhood and the past few weeks have proven particularly enjoyable. But he is mature enough to know that at some stage, perhaps within 18 months, he will need to choose a sport.
“I’ve always wanted to compete for Australia. That would be pretty amazing. But I think the AFL has a more secure pathway financially than athletics and I am leaning more towards that at the moment.
“It is quite a lot of pressure at my age. It all comes down to my development over the next couple of years and how I go at the sports.
“I definitely love athletics. It is one of my main passions. But in footy, you have all of your teammates.”
His mother, who claimed a gold medal for Australia in hockey at the 1996 Olympics before making a successful switch to athletics, holds out hope he might yet be able to do both.
“I think he will go down the AFL path. He could play until he was 24 or 25 and then make a success out of athletics, which I did. It is not an unrealistic goal.”
COURTNEY WALSH

SPORTS REPORTER

Nova Peris with her son Jack, a prospective AFL player and sprinter who has been included in the Flying Boomerangs squad. Picture: Aaron Francis Nova Peris with her son Jack, a prospective AFL player and sprinter who has been included in the Flying Boomerangs squad. Picture: Aaron Francis
Jack Peris, an aspiring athlete and footballer who is the son of two Australian Olympians, is well versed in juggling his dreams and is at the wonderful age where the world awaits him.
But where it ultimately takes him is something Peris is still deciding, with good reason given his youth but more so because of his abundant talent in many disciplines.
The 15-year-old is already a four-time national athletics champion blessed with the speed of his mum Nova Peris and late father Daniel Batman. But there is far more to “Jacky Boy” than his sprint.
READ NEXT
A cousin and friend of Geelong’s emerging star Brandan Parfitt, Peris is also a member of St Kilda’s football academy and has spent the past week travelling Victoria with the Flying Boomerangs, a squad of 25 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders drawn from around Australia.
As his mother said, it is possible that over the next couple of years, her boy could represent Australia in the under-20 World Athletics Championships, with a spot in the 4x400m relay a legitimate goal, be drafted by an AFL club and begin a university degree.
“Obviously myself and his late father, we are both Olympians. For Jack, it is not even an impossible dream, nor an improbable one,” she told The Weekend Australian.
“He knows the road. He knows what to do to go down that road and to be committed, which is a beautiful thing. At some stage, he is going to have to make that decision.
“And his second cousin is Brandan Parfitt. The pair used to play backyard footy when growing up in Darwin (and) Jack is now watching Brandon playing in the midfield alongside bloody (Patrick) Dangerfield and carving it up getting 26, 27 disposals. Footy is a realistic dream for him.”
Expectations can prove a burden and Nova Peris is mindful of what her son is going through.
She noted that, aged nine, she featured on the front page of The Northern Territory News with a caption saying she could be the woman to win gold for Australia when Melbourne was considering a bid for the 1988 Olympics.
But she said her son had proven himself capable of coping with all manner of challenges.
Early in his life, Peris has dealt with the tragic loss of his father in a car accident.
He has been inspired by an Olympic gold medal-winning mother who entered the national political sphere and also lived, at different stages, in Darwin, Canberra, Broome and Melbourne, where he initially boarded and is now a day student.
His parents are clear role models, with Peris regularly revisiting their deeds via YouTube, while his stepfather Scott Appleton has also had a significant influence on the youngster’s emergence as a potential AFL draftee.
So, too, his boyhood mate and cousin Parfitt, the recently retired Hawks hero Cyril Rioli and, at St Kilda, footballer Ben Long and former champ Nick dal Santo, who provided support as he recovered from a severe hamstring injury suffered last December.
His life is particularly busy but given his love of all aspects, even his schooling at Melbourne Grammar, Peris would not have it any other way.
And he has placed a clear emphasis on his education, mindful it might well prove his most important skill in the long term.
“It is hard to manage both things but I do well at school. My No 1 thing is my education,” he said. “Education is extremely important and I have to keep up on that. It is important to have a plan A and plan B and plan C.”
He hopes one day to become a marine biologist and follow in the footsteps of family members working out “on country” in the Kimberleys and Arnhem Land.
“I am actually so fortunate in the way he is so committed to his education and he gets fantastic grades,” Nova Peris said.
“I have never been on his back to do his homework. It is a testament to his dedication. The emphasis on his education is important.”
As an intelligent student learning more about his indigenous heritage every day — he is growing into a proud Gidja, Yawura and Muran man — Peris is determined to represent his people and his nation.
The past few weeks, where he has spent time with boys aged between 14 and 16 in the Boomerangs squad but also his mother out on country, have been particularly special.
A visit to the Grampians for a cultural visit, some charity work with the Salvation Army and a couple of matches against a World Team comprising the best emerging multicultural footballers has made for a brilliant week.
“It is awesome because, obviously, it is really good to surround myself with the Aboriginal boys and be able to represent my culture and my family as well,” he said.
“On a personal level, it is very important to me to represent a national team. There are a lot of cultural aspects from it and I am learning more about it every day.”
The week before Peris, who is the NAIDOC Sportsperson of the Year, had been back in Arnhem Land with his mother.
The area is of particular importance given his ancestry but also because it is a region where he feels a close connection with his father, who died in a car crash in Marrakai, near Darwin, in 2012.
“We, as Aboriginals, are quite spiritual and we believe in reincarnation,” Nova Peris said.
“Jack and I were back in Arnhem Land last week and every time we go out on country and see an eagle, he often thinks that it is his father.
“Both kids have a shrine to him at home and there is a lot of memorabilia at home. Daniel’s presence is very much still there.”
Peris is still in the midst of his boyhood and the past few weeks have proven particularly enjoyable. But he is mature enough to know that at some stage, perhaps within 18 months, he will need to choose a sport.
“I’ve always wanted to compete for Australia. That would be pretty amazing. But I think the AFL has a more secure pathway financially than athletics and I am leaning more towards that at the moment.
“It is quite a lot of pressure at my age. It all comes down to my development over the next couple of years and how I go at the sports.
“I definitely love athletics. It is one of my main passions. But in footy, you have all of your teammates.”
His mother, who claimed a gold medal for Australia in hockey at the 1996 Olympics before making a successful switch to athletics, holds out hope he might yet be able to do both.
“I think he will go down the AFL path. He could play until he was 24 or 25 and then make a success out of athletics, which I did. It is not an unrealistic goal.”
COURTNEY WALSH

SPORTS REPORTER
This was not the Courtney Walsh I had pictured in my head..

READ NEXT
COURTNEY WALSH

SPORTS REPORTER

Dunno if he’s much of a footballer but he sounds like a cracking kid.

Didn't he also offer someone s job without letting the club know?
And went on radio saying everything was fine on the day he got sacked?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Watters walked Ashley Prescott through the club, introducing him to staff as a new assistant (despite being told that all footy department appointments had to be approved by Pelchen).

Then went on SEN while the board quickly convened to bone him.

Watters walked Ashley Prescott through the club, introducing him to staff as a new assistant (despite being told that all footy department appointments had to be approved by Pelchen).

Then went on SEN while the board quickly convened to bone him.
Sounds like classic St Kilda management procedures..the left and right hands never quite aware of each other.

Two page spread on it today. Decent read. I know it’s from Grants perspective but damn we could use someone who sticks up for the club now like he says he did to Demetriou

GT was a one man band, doing everything.
That's not the way to do it in the modern world.
If fact we probably should have kept him as the head of footy, and got Ross in as the Coach. Could have left Ross free for coaching while Thommo looked after the people and the club. Not sure the ego's would have got on well though.

Anyone catch Chips interview on sen an hr ago? Geez, he doesnt sound too flash. I sure hope he's been looking after himself post-footy. Have a listen..

Last edited:
Anyone catch Chips interview on sen an hr ago? Geez, he doesnt sound too flash. I sure hope he's looking after himself post-footy. Have a listen..

Doesn’t sound good at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone catch Chips interview on sen an hr ago? Geez, he doesnt sound too flash. I sure hope he's looking after himself post-footy. Have a listen..

Seriously doesn’t sound great.
Sick, half asleep or had a few too many...
Hope he’s ok.

Anyone catch Chips interview on sen an hr ago? Geez, he doesnt sound too flash. I sure hope he's been looking after himself post-footy. Have a listen..

Thought he sounded about the same as usual tbh. There’s a reason they didn’t get him to do too many interviews when he was playing.

Bloody hell the Nicky Winmar news really makes sense now that I think of it. Nicky was at Platform 28 after our win against Essendon in Round 2 (same night that this happened). He was enjoying himself lets just put it that way. Hope nothing serious comes from it.

Doesn't sound that bad to me. He's a bit distracted and maybe a bit tipsy. I saw him recently and chatted to him, he seemed to be a in a pretty good place and was going to be playing some local footy. Looked very fit and healthy and still dressed like a peacock.

Yeah Chips always sounds a bit lackadaisical

Yeah, he's got a bit of a slow country drawl and SA twang. Sounds like he's stoned all the time.

Bloody hell the Nicky Winmar news really makes sense now that I think of it. Nicky was at Platform 28 after our win against Essendon in Round 2 (same night that this happened). He was enjoying himself lets just put it that way. Hope nothing serious comes from it.

It doesn't make it right, but there might have been a bit of "don't you realise who I am" going on. Being indigenous people ask you to pay up front and tell you there are no rentals available and stuff. Nicky has been acknowledged by the footy world for his contributions a lot lately and the feeling that after all he's done the taxi driver still treats him like he's an untrustworthy piece s**t would be riling. Add a bit of booze and it's a bad recipe.

Anyway, if I was his lawyer...I think that's the defence I'd be running.

It doesn't make it right, but there might have been a bit of "don't you realise who I am" going on. Being indigenous people ask you to pay up front and tell you there are no rentals available and stuff. Nicky has been acknowledged by the footy world for his contributions a lot lately and the feeling that after all he's done the taxi driver still treats him like he's an untrustworthy piece s**t would be riling. Add a bit of booze and it's a bad recipe.

Anyway, if I was his lawyer...I think that's the defence I'd be running.
I think it's more to do with the drivers preference. I've had cabbies ask me to pay upfront before. If the fare is over what I payed I pay the extra if it's under they give me change. Maybe the driver has been burnt too many times from idiots doing runners. Who knows really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back