News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish someone from those days comes out and details everything that was wrong with Watters. Everyone seems to skirt around it, Roo hardly mentioned it in his book, even just now on sen, Dal said he remembers things differently without going into specifics. But then he dangled the carrot that he woke up to numerous messages from ex teammates angry at the podcast.

Maybe there are some privacy issues at hand, but don't you think its important that the full facts comes out? There are still negative perceptions about us and how we handled his firing, i just wish we stood up for ourselves and put everything out publicly once and for all.

they may not want a warts and all discussion about an era when the management of the club was extremely poor. people would then associated what happened then with now.

so whilst they may get mud to stick on watters, he might be able to throw it back just as good.

they may not want a warts and all discussion about an era when the management of the club was extremely poor. people would then associated what happened then with now.

so whilst they may get mud to stick on watters, he might be able to throw it back just as good.
As bad as Watters was Netters was just as bad for our club if not worse

True but its easy to attack an organisation when you dont intend to return the industry. Any personal criticism of Watters in the media whether true or otherwise could become litigious and wouldnt the vultures love that. I gather thats why people like Dal Santo havent responded?

Yeah I get that, but by staying quiet(relatively) it gives the impression that there's a lot of truth to what he said. I guess my frustration is from hearing little tidbits from everyone while Watters gives his full story. If its the truth and there are witnesses surely we wouldn't be scared of litigation? Just come out with it once and for all and put this crap to bed forever.

True, but i feel that the rusted down supporter already knows we were a basket case back then. Would be a big win if could show publicly that firing Watters(and why) was actually one of the smartest things we've done.

Yeah I get that, but by staying quiet(relatively) it gives the impression that there's a lot of truth to what he said. I guess my frustration is from hearing little tidbits from everyone while Watters gives his full story. If its the truth and there are witnesses surely we wouldn't be scared of litigation? Just come out with it once and for all and put this crap to bed forever.

True, but i feel that the rusted down supporter already knows we were a basket case back then. Would be a big win if could show publicly that firing Watters(and why) was actually one of the smartest things we've done.

they may not be worried about the rusted on types. they always stick fat. its the media and impartial supporters that would get ya. basically public perception.

Haven't listened to the podcast and started seriously supporting after the SW era; but so what if we went all in on a flag in '09 / '10 and came up a tiny bit short even if we knew the wheels would fall off with no premiership cup.

Take Shiel - we're in the unfortunate position of having virtually nothing to 'sell' to RFAs / Free Agents or those wanting out from their club. It's currently a bottom 6 list; and no history of flags to lend credibility to our plan - contrast with say, Clarko - I am sure if he said to Titch / O'Meara 'I plan to win another flag in five years and here's the broad strokes of how I will do it with you on board' then he'd have a ton of credibility.

Making Godfather offers doesn't seem to have worked out either. We need some kind of track record and then it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

they may not be worried about the rusted on types. they always stick fat. its the media and impartial supporters that would get ya. basically public perception.

But this is my point. I missed the whole Watters era because I was living overseas. All I saw was the headlines about how we'd f'ed another coach. When i tuned into the internet radio i heard dermie go all out nuclear on our club. And I didn't hear much rebuttal either which made me think worse about the club.

It's only in the last 3 or so years when I got on here that I read some of the stuff that went on. I just accepted it at the time as another situation our club had f'ed up. I guarentee you there are some who still think that, especially those who aren't so digital tech savvy.

Anyway like i said, we've got a long history of ******* things up. Would be nice if it firing Watters was demonstrably clear to be one we got absolutely right.

Last edited:
The fact that he was dead against giving Kosi a farewell game with Blake and Milne against a Freo side resting 20 of their best 22, only to then name him as sub and give him one quarter shows the utter disrespect he had for club champions and the power trip he was on. A nasty little cancer of the St Kilda Football Club.

Nicky Dal nicely potted him with that last line:

“The former midfielder said he would’ve had a “different conversation” about his future if Watters wasn’t at the club, adding he probably wouldn’t have left the Saints if Ross Lyon was still coach.”
That's correct. Dal was the only one who left due to the coach.

The rest the club knew about. Goddard mcevoy etc. Were all club list decisions not coaching ones.

Something went down between Dal and Watters though. Not sure what.

The interviewing skills of Ralph and McFarlane are awful. The concept of the Sacked series is good and it is still well worth a listen but in comparison to someone like Whateley, they are just so unprofessional. The role of the interviewer is absolutely not to jump in on the sentiment coming from the interviewee. If you listen to Whateley interview someone, he will ask questions, ask follow up questions and challenge answers. McFarlane literally whistles at Watters answer in sympathetic shock as if he is his mate sitting at a bar listening to a sob story. He then continues to add in irrelevant and random digs at St Kilda, to which even Watters himself replied that he wasn’t there to hang s**t on St Kilda.

Last edited:
Good clubs don't have those cultural issues, how many Collingwood players have drunk drove, placed bets on games and had positive drugs tests.......... 2 incidents that we had, were absolutely blown out of proportion by the same grubs that run these podcasts.

culture - the easily unsubstantiated way to bash a club or a group of people.
its funny how these HS grubs in 4 podcasts have done 2 StKilda coaches.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that he was dead against giving Kosi a farewell game with Blake and Milne against a Freo side resting 20 of their best 22, only to then name him as sub and give him one quarter shows the utter disrespect he had for club champions and the power trip he was on. A nasty little cancer of the St Kilda Football Club.
yeah f that guy

(the dwarf that is)

Hey Saints fans,

Just had a listen to the Watters podcast and got to say I find he comes across as arrogant and not at all likeable. I know a podcast is hardly a good way to judge someone's character but listening to that I can definitely see why so many were rumoured to dislike him.

Anyways listening to him go on about the "bad culture" at St Kilda but not really expand on why I thought I'd share a conversation I overheard between a former Saints player and Eagles supporter at one of our training sessions. (I'm not the type of person to talk to footballers but I just happened to be near this bloke who obviously had no such qualms.)

This player spent time at St Kilda under Watters so here is a brief summary on what was essentially said (not verbatim) if you're interested:

- Didn't rate Watters and that Simpson was a far, far superior coach
- A lot of unstableness with the clubs admin and hierarchy-had a negative effect on the environment and affected the players. Wasn't a particularly happy place to be at the time.
(Nothing groundbreaking there, but the next stuff is interesting)
- Cliques within the playing group. Basically the core players from the RL era were their own group and then there was everyone else.
- Felt the leadership from Roo was lacking in certain aspects*

*Ill elaborate a bit here. He said how great a leader Hurn was because of how every Eagle player on the list felt valued, included and invested in (no matter their ability). Apparently at St Kilda the "fringe players" were largely ignored and this created a fractured playing group. Wasn't happy with how he and others were treated by the senior players.

Please don't think I've posted this to gloat about how great the Eagles are and how poor the Saints were at that time - I just wanted to give a reason on why Scott Watters may have thought St Kilda had a poor culture.

FWIW I definitely believe Dal Santo that there is a lot more to it than what Watters said. Without knowing all the details my guess would be that part of Watters undoing was trying to address these cliques at the club but got it very wrong in doing so- not helped by coming across as an arrogant ****.

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense because it doesn't include this big group of players who just missed the age cutoff:

Acres, Austin, Billings, Lonie, Marsh, Marshall, McCartin, McKenzie, Parker, Steele, Wilkie

At least 8 of those in our best 22, add them to the list and it would be looking much more imposing.

It also ran with that “the saints are targeting finals next year” bit based off, what I can only assume, Lethers saying he’d expect all clubs to be targeting finals when asked.

Add on the pure opinion nature of these rankings and it’s just a space filler.

Hey Saints fans,

Just had a listen to the Watters podcast and got to say I find he comes across as arrogant and not at all likeable. I know a podcast is hardly a good way to judge someone's character but listening to that I can definitely see why so many were rumoured to dislike him.

Anyways listening to him go on about the "bad culture" at St Kilda but not really expand on why I thought I'd share a conversation I overheard between a former Saints player and Eagles supporter at one of our training sessions. (I'm not the type of person to talk to footballers but I just happened to be near this bloke who obviously had no such qualms.)

This player spent time at St Kilda under Watters so here is a brief summary on what was essentially said (not verbatim) if you're interested:

- Didn't rate Watters and that Simpson was a far, far superior coach
- A lot of unstableness with the clubs admin and hierarchy-had a negative effect on the environment and affected the players. Wasn't a particularly happy place to be at the time.
(Nothing groundbreaking there, but the next stuff is interesting)
- Cliques within the playing group. Basically the core players from the RL era were their own group and then there was everyone else.
- Felt the leadership from Roo was lacking in certain aspects*

*Ill elaborate a bit here. He said how great a leader Hurn was because of how every Eagle player on the list felt valued, included and invested in (no matter their ability). Apparently at St Kilda the "fringe players" were largely ignored and this created a fractured playing group. Wasn't happy with how he and others were treated by the senior players.

Please don't think I've posted this to gloat about how great the Eagles are and how poor the Saints were at that time - I just wanted to give a reason on why Scott Watters may have thought St Kilda had a poor culture.

FWIW I definitely believe Dal Santo that there is a lot more to it than what Watters said. Without knowing all the details my guess would be that part of Watters undoing was trying to address these cliques at the club but got it very wrong in doing so- not helped by coming across as an arrogant ****.
Good insight and it was a RTB trait to have an us and them type culture within the playing group and with the outside.

The club admin at the time was shocking as well.

Hurn and WCE better? Results GF's and flags would bear that out.

From what we see nowdays the admin is much better, and our playing group very close and seems pretty happy.

And what you heard is a reason we want Ratten and not Lyon back at our club.

Yeah I get that, but by staying quiet(relatively) it gives the impression that there's a lot of truth to what he said. I guess my frustration is from hearing little tidbits from everyone while Watters gives his full story. If its the truth and there are witnesses surely we wouldn't be scared of litigation?

Truth isn’t a defence to libel - if we come out and say things that hurt Watters’ future job prospects then we’d be exposing ourselves to a world of hurt. Not to mention the AFL heavily frowns upon clubs ending up in court.

Great to see Dal respond to Watters' podcast.

Nice to have two sides to a story.

Just read that.

“I didn’t see this poor culture. I wasn’t part of a poor culture when Scott got there in 2012 off the back of Ross Lyon.”

I mean, he would say that, wouldn’t he? He was responsible for creating it. I don’t know who’s right but I don’t think those quotes from Dal mean anything at all.

That's correct. Dal was the only one who left due to the coach.

The rest the club knew about. Goddard mcevoy etc. Were all club list decisions not coaching ones.

Something went down between Dal and Watters though. Not sure what.
Watters told some of the senior players a few home truths about their performances etc and some didn't like it- especially those with big egos.

Watters told some of the senior players a few home truths about their performances etc and some didn't like it- especially those with big egos.
Well the club told Watters some home truth about his performance and has never been in the AFL since.

Just read that.

I mean, he would say that, wouldn’t he? He was responsible for creating it. I don’t know who’s right but I don’t think those quotes from Dal mean anything at all.
Possibly. I'd back the guy who played over 200 games for us before I'd back the power tripping head coach sacked after only two seasons, though. There's a reason Scott never found another coaching gig at AFL level.

Just read that.

Yeh he wouldn't of seen the problem being one of the big dogs in the bubble, but it still doesn't take away the fact Watters was an absolute *******. I loved it on the podcast 'oh i dont want this to sound like a bashing st.kilda podcast' * off campaigner, thats exactly what you want it to sound like.

Truth isn’t a defence to libel - if we come out and say things that hurt Watters’ future job prospects then we’d be exposing ourselves to a world of hurt. Not to mention the AFL heavily frowns upon clubs ending up in court.
Firstly libel doesn’t exist in Australia anymore it falls under defamation and Truth is absolutely defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back