Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
It seems like none of you slackers has started a new media thread, so here goes. And why not start by potting the media? I'm not usually one to think that the Fourth Estate has it in for us, but it's hard to think otherwise when you read this story about the 25 moments that mattered in 2018.

For those who can't access it, here's the relevant bits...

15. TRADE FRENZY
Beams wasn’t the only one who switched clubs during what turned out to a bumper trade period. Lachie Neale, Chad Wingard, Ryan Burton, Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij, Jack Hombsch and Sam Mayes all found new clubs in a series of interconnected deals, as Hawthorn, Melbourne, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Brisbane, GWS and Port Adelaide had to work to find the right outcomes. And in separate deals Tom Scully found himself at Hawthorn, while Dylan Shiel chose Essendon above Carlton and St Kilda.

Um, I feel like they've missed an All Australian premiership player who moved clubs?

16. THE LATE GOALS
It seems fitting that in a year that ended with a stunning late goal from Dom Sheed, we’ve had some classic last-minute and after-the-siren goals that turned the fortunes of matches. There was Jeremy McGovern’s matchwinner against Port Adelaide in Round 21; Steven Motlop’s miracle Showdown goal with 21 seconds left in Round 8; and Zach Tuohy’s cool goal after the buzzer that beat the Demons in Round 18. Then, there were the misses. Max Gawn’s shot in Round 1, Harry Taylor in Round 15 and Cam Rayner in Round 5.

Ah, I dunno. I feel like there was one other last-minute snap from the boundary to win a game, but maybe I'm imagining things?

Aug 9, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
Also, none of our mature agers are among the Hun's six to watch in 2019...

https://outline.com/7CF6Lt

SIX TO WATCH IN 2019

SAM COLLINS (Gold Coast)

A pre-draft selection by the Suns who shone for Werribee in the VFL last year. The 24-year-old key defender played 14 games over two seasons at Fremantle before being delisted at the end of 2017.

SUPERCOACH: $188,900 (DEF)

BEN CAVARRA (Western Bulldogs)

A Morrish Medal winner in the TAC Cup as a midfielder in his under-18 year who has gone on to morph into the best small forward in the VFL with Williamstown over the past two seasons. Stands just 172cm tall but kicked 66.51 across 2017-18 and was a strong pressure player.

SUPERCOACH: $117,300 (FWD)

LUKE FOLEY (West Coast)

A 19-year-old midfielder who stands 189cm and has strong endurance. Foley is a fine kick and won a Colts premiership with Subiaco in the WAFL last year. Played for Western Australia in the National Under-18 Championship and averaged 17.3 disposals, 7.7 tackles and 4.7 clearances per game.

SUPERCOACH: $117,300 (MID)

CHRIS BURGESS (Gold Coast)

A 22-year-old schoolteacher who was picked up by the Suns as a pre-draft selection from West Adelaide. A late bloomer who did not nominate for the draft when he was younger, the 194cm tall developed into a gun swingman in the SANFL who can play at either end of the ground.

SUPERCOACH: $123,900 (DEF/FWD)

MARTY HORE (Melbourne)

A 22-year-old defender who graduated from the Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup program in 2015 and developed his game with Collingwood’s VFL side. Stands 189cm tall and played 33 VFL games over the past two years in which he led Collingwood in disposals, marks, contested marks and rebound 50s. Also a two-time back pocket in the VFL’s Team of the Year.

SUPERCOACH: $117,300 (DEF)

BRETT BEWLEY (Fremantle)

Midfielder who is an endurance beast, has a mature body and a booming and accurate left-foot kick. The 23-year-old spent the past five seasons with Williamstown in the VFL, where he was named in the league’s Team of the Year in each of the past two seasons.

SUPERCOACH: $117,300 (MID)

To be fair... its just pathetic lazy biased journalism.

To be fair... we are a pretty irrelevant club based on last year’s performance. Here’s hoping that changes this season.

While I agree that the media rating us should be based on the evidence available to them, rating our recruits should be based on the same principles that they used to rate the other clubs' recruits, and they seem to have overlooked a few players based on the excellent opening posts highlighting that. It doesn't concern me except for it's role in the membership race, the media's opinion of us seems to always be a year or two out of date. Maybe flying under the radar is our thing.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't care what the media and so called experts think or say.

Up to us let out footy do the talking.

How about we lose the victim mentality?
i dunno is it victim mentality to want a little shred of research in a story ?
i dont think the story is specifically leaving St Kilda out as an agenda but it does smack of lazy reporting ... in this era where we have 2 reporters for every AFL player to keep the content rolling and justify jobs stories are now just short attention grabs for clicks so its all about constant churn of content without any real fact checking or deeper analysis ... its not "poor old St Kilda" but more "do your job better Journo"

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
As much as Mowman will hate it I agree completely with his post.
You get the respect you deserve.
We had respect from 2008 to 2011 in football terms. We have deserved little since.

As for missing Hannebery out, well we were accused of being incompetent and desperate in recruiting him in the first place, while the Hawks were 'bold' in recruiting Scully.

Who has won 4 flags since 2008 compared to what we have done.
VDS is correct, let the footy do the talking.
We move upwards, we get more respect and get noticed.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
It seems Billings and Dal Santo also think he wasn't being used in the best position last season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01...billings-being-utilised-properly-at-st-kilda/
If he'd kicked straight in the first half of the season I don't think we'd be having the discussion.

He kicked 6.12 in the first 11 games of the season and before he was dropped he had the worst case of the yips we've seen for ages. Certainly played higher after he came back and got 25+ possessions in 5 of those games, but more importantly kicked a lot straighter (8.7)

That's the Billings we want to see - getting a lot of the ball and using it well and then also being a forward threat.

I hope we might see quite a few more players getting more midfield/wing minutes this year because we desperately need the likes of Gresh, Billings and Acres to step up and prove they can be AFL standard mids.

I'm hoping Longy might be the big surprise packet this year and even Paton, Parker and Lonie should get a look in.

Aug 9, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
If he'd kicked straight in the first half of the season I don't think we'd be having the discussion.

He kicked 6.12 in the first 11 games of the season and before he was dropped he had the worst case of the yips we've seen for ages. Certainly played higher after he came back and got 25+ possessions in 5 of those games, but more importantly kicked a lot straighter (8.7)

That's the Billings we want to see - getting a lot of the ball and using it well and then also being a forward threat.

I hope we might see quite a few more players getting more midfield/wing minutes this year because we desperately need the likes of Gresh, Billings and Acres to step up and prove they can be AFL standard mids.

I'm hoping Longy might be the big surprise packet this year and even Paton, Parker and Lonie should get a look in.
One thing about those 25 plus games at the end of last season - even in those games he was mostly a link in a chain. He wasn't backing himself, getting loose, having a bounce. So I think that even the back half of his year wasn't as impressive as the stats suggest for a guy of his talent.

We need to see him start using his creativity again, which requires a) us to be a better side and b) JB to have the confidence to back himself. I didn't see that confidence even when he was getting more of it.

I am hoping that Hanneberry in particular can help with b) by bringing him out of himself.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back