News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if mccartin cant get up after that 'knock' to the head surely this is the end. I'd really love him to come good, but players take knocks like that almost every couple of games. Normally they just get up and play on, but obviously paddy's noggin is a bit tender. He'll be missing ten games a year from concussion at that rate.

He's a smart guy with a great character, there's so much more to life than getting knocked out every second week.

I know it might sound like I'm going early, but if he asked me I'd say why risk it, you've been dealt a sh*t hand, don't go all in

I know Paddy's value has significantly reduced since he was drafted, but objectively, if our 22 year old number 1 draft pick is forced to retire as a result of repeated concussions, that should surely be grounds for a priority pick. It's a massive, massive blow.

8 concussions in 40 games. Almost a 1 in 4 chance of a concussion, it’s far too high.

Can anyone honesty say they think he can play another 100 games without getting a headknock?
Impossible to predict, but you would be crazy to bet against it. I think he should give it up so his next 60 years aren’t full of misery and health issues.

I know Paddy's value has significantly reduced since he was drafted, but objectively, if our 22 year old number 1 draft pick is forced to retire as a result of repeated concussions, that should surely be grounds for a priority pick. It's a massive, massive blow.
I don't know where I stand on PPs, but if injury is a qualifying factor then surely concussion should top that list. It would help to create an environment that encourages players and clubs to think of the long term damage from further knocks

8 concussions in 40 games. Almost a 1 in 4 chance of a concussion, it’s far too high.

Can anyone honesty say they think he can play another 100 games without getting a headknock?
Impossible to predict, but you would be crazy to bet against it. I think he should give it up so his next 60 years aren’t full of misery and health issues.
Ive watch the replay of it 20 times he hardly gets touched

I have thought for ages he would struggle to get through this year , feel sorry for him but its not worth killing yourself for , its a bloody game of football , I dont know who is being pig headed , him or the club but its time to stop before its too late

if mccartin cant get up after that 'knock' to the head surely this is the end. I'd really love him to come good, but players take knocks like that almost every couple of games. Normally they just get up and play on, but obviously paddy's noggin is a bit tender. He'll be missing ten games a year from concussion at that rate.
Doctors have now said his helmet wasn't padded enough for his softish noggin.

All good though; they found Narkle's old lid during the most recent demolition work.

Hey, ho, let's go

2vx51j4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doctors have now said his helmet wasn't padded enough for his softish noggin.

All good though; they found Narkle's old lid during the most recent demolition work.

Hey, ho, let's go

2vx51j4.jpg
Not sure any helmet will help him

Not necessarily. We took our chance at the draft, just like everyone else. If it were another club I'd feel for them, but I wouldn't want to hand them a second top 10 pick.

The only reason we should get a priority pick is because we're s**t.

TBH I hope Paddy and Robbo make the best choices available to them. My worries as a supporter pale in comparison to the ones they must hold.

I don't know where I stand on PPs, but if injury is a qualifying factor then surely concussion should top that list. It would help to create an environment that encourages players and clubs to think of the long term damage from further knocks

I doubt they would give a priority pick for that. They are rarely given these days, especially for injury.

I doubt they would give a priority pick for that. They are rarely given these days, especially for injury.

I think the AFL would likely jump on it for the publicity boost, before even considering their thoughts for the welfare of players. By offering priority picks in exchange for losing players to a history of concussions, they're signalling that they don't want any pressure to be put on the players, by the clubs, to risk their long-term health.

For example, a club may be inclined to keep trying with a young player who was a top pick, on the grounds of not wanting to 'lose their investment'; even if it means pulling the pin after 10 concussions instead of 9, that 'just one more' is still risking the health of the player without being obvious.

By offering a way to recoup some of what was lost, then it helps every party involved:
The club isn't disadvantaged as much as they could have been
There is less pressure on the player to play, either from the club or themselves (i.e not wanting to let their teammates down)
The AFL gets to look good, and point to this proactive decision in the event of any potential future lawsuits from retired players

I think it's inevitable that such compensation will be introduced; knowing our luck through history, it'll be brought in the year after Paddy retires (if he does) due to his concussions.

I think the AFL would likely jump on it for the publicity boost, before even considering their thoughts for the welfare of players. By offering priority picks in exchange for losing players to a history of concussions, they're signalling that they don't want any pressure to be put on the players, by the clubs, to risk their long-term health.

For example, a club may be inclined to keep trying with a young player who was a top pick, on the grounds of not wanting to 'lose their investment'; even if it means pulling the pin after 10 concussions instead of 9, that 'just one more' is still risking the health of the player without being obvious.

By offering a way to recoup some of what was lost, then it helps every party involved:
The club isn't disadvantaged as much as they could have been
There is less pressure on the player to play, either from the club or themselves (i.e not wanting to let their teammates down)
The AFL gets to look good, and point to this proactive decision in the event of any potential future lawsuits from retired players

I think it's inevitable that such compensation will be introduced; knowing our luck through history, it'll be brought in the year after Paddy retires (if he does) due to his concussions.
IMO the AFL would rather dish out a PP than see a player with a bad history of concussions keep adding to the carnage and negative publicity.
Would have to rate serious consideration from the Death Star

You're forgetting the Saints clause in all afl discretionary rulings.

If the AFL gave us a pp for Paddy, then they'd have to give one to every club that loses a player due to a career ending injury.

Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.
I think acquired brain injuries would be viewed as a special case, particularly given the publicly around it. Something will happen eventually so we may as well be the first to ask.

I think acquired brain injuries would be viewed as a special case, particularly given the publicly around it. Something will happen eventually so we may as well be the first to ask.
Groundbreaking Saints again eh.
AFL... No chance Saints as no ruling on it.

Nekminit
AFL creates new concussion retirement PP rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back