News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
apologies if this game has been discussed lately. i mustve missed it.

Anyway, i was having a sook on twitter about how the umps cost us momentum in the eagles game. And also sooking about noise of affirmation when we play there.

Few mins later i get a msg from a eagles supporter. "Oi mate, we still owe you for 98", together with a link to the highlights. I cannot believe i forgot this game. Lol. He's right, spider non goal, mitchell dodgy late free......if you have time pls watch the full 10 mins which inc news, interviews and highlights. this really was a classic with so many subplots.

apologies if this game has been discussed lately. i mustve missed it.

Anyway, i was having a sook on twitter about how the umps cost us momentum in the eagles game. And also sooking about noise of affirmation when we play there.

Few mins later i get a msg from a eagles supporter. "Oi mate, we still owe you for 98", together with a link to the highlights. I cannot believe i forgot this game. Lol. He's right, spider non goal, mitchell dodgy late free......if you have time pls watch the full 10 mins which inc news, interviews and highlights. this really was a classic with so many subplots.

I've harped on about this on this forum before but Round 6, 1998 against the Eagles is arguably the most memorable Saints game I've ever watched.

We were down by something like 28 points with 8 minutes left and piled on goal after goal to win it at the death. Daniel Healy kicked 6 on his 24th birthday (in what would end up being the best game of his career) and Spida Everitt also celebrated his 24th birthday on the same day.

And not to mention that we were severely undermanned with Loewe, Hall, Thompson and Burke all out.

What made it that much better for me personally was everything surrounding that game. We had just come back after the '97 GF loss and many thought we couldn't go again but we started the '98 season in great form, sitting 4-1 heading into that game. I still remember thinking to myself before the game that if the boys were serious about this season, and if we were to stamp our credentials as still one of the teams to beat, then we needed to win this despite the stars we had out.

In an interview years later, Stan Alves said it was the greatest win he was ever apart of as a coach or player.

I have the full game on my PC. Brings back a lot of great memories!

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I've harped on about this on this forum before but Round 6, 1998 against the Eagles is arguably the most memorable Saints game I've ever watched.

We were down by something like 28 points with 8 minutes left and piled on goal after goal to win it at the death. Daniel Healy kicked 6 on his 24th birthday (in what would end up being the best game of his career) and Spida Everitt also celebrated his 24th birthday on the same day.

And not to mention that we were severely undermanned with Loewe, Hall, Thompson and Burke all out.

What made it that much better for me personally was everything surrounding that game. We had just come back after the '97 GF loss and many thought we couldn't go again but we started the '98 season in great form, sitting 4-1 heading into that game. I still remember thinking to myself before the game that if the boys were serious about this season, and if we were to stamp our credentials as still one of the teams to beat, then we needed to win this despite the stars we had out.

In an interview years later, Stan Alves said it was the greatest win he was ever apart of as a coach or player.

I have the full game on my PC. Brings back a lot of great memories!
The match holds a special place in my own journey as a Saints fan. I was 13 at the time and having grown up in the desert I'd started going for West Coast (partly to appease my Saints and Essendon supporting parents). We were moving back to Melbourne that year and driving out in the middle of nowhere listening to the game on the radio. St Kilda came from nowhere to win the match and following the siren there was a deafening silence on the air... at the time, they didn't play the opposing teams song in Perth when they won!

For some reason this just did it for me. I decided to switch to the Saints, purchased a Saints scarf when we got to the big smoke and donated all my Eagles gear to a supporter at school. The next year we were back in Melbourne and I was at Colonial Stadium every week to suffer through about 4 years of pain in order to earn my keep.

And yes, people still give me s**t for switching teams :)

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great memories george. You must've been 10 or younger at that time too. i reckon i wiped 97-98 from my memory banks outta ptsd. So glad to be reminded of it now. Wakelin twins playing together, gavin mitchell, crippa, lol gtrain kicking 4 for WC.
That emotion from Stan, have to say thats why i loved him the most outta all our coaches.

and that post match talk and hype. It really was huge at the time. I wonder if anyone here was at the airport to welcome them home. Hahaha thats insane for a round 6 game. Great times.

Also that riewoldt12 guy posts some great stuff of ours on youtube but seems to have stopped. Hope he's still around.

The match holds a special place in my own journey as a Saints fan. I was 13 at the time and having grown up in the desert I'd started going for West Coast (partly to appease my Saints and Essendon supporting parents). We were moving back to Melbourne that year and driving out in the middle of nowhere listening to the game on the radio. St Kilda came from nowhere to win the match and following the siren there was a deafening silence on the air... at the time, they didn't play the opposing teams song in Perth when they won!

For some reason this just did it for me. I decided to switch to the Saints, purchased a Saints scarf when we got to the big smoke and donated all my Eagles gear to a supporter at school. The next year we were back in Melbourne and I was at Colonial Stadium every week to suffer through about 4 years of pain in order to earn my keep.

And yes, people still give me **** for switching teams :)
Great memories mate. It was one of the great moments in the clubs history I think.

Great memories george. You must've been 10 or younger at that time too. i reckon i wiped 97-98 from my memory banks outta ptsd. So glad to be reminded of it now. Wakelin twins playing together, gavin mitchell, crippa, lol gtrain kicking 4 for WC.
That emotion from Stan, have to say thats why i loved him the most outta all our coaches.

and that post match talk and hype. It really was huge at the time. I wonder if anyone here was at the airport to welcome them home. Hahaha thats insane for a round 6 game. Great times.

Also that riewoldt12 guy posts some great stuff of ours on youtube but seems to have stopped. Hope he's still around.
Yes mate I was two weeks from my 8th birthday. The '96 Ansett Cup was my first real memory of a great Saints win but this game still stands out to me over 20 years later.

Gavin Mitchell was one of my all-time favourite Saints. Had a bit of mad dog about him, loved the way he went about it and his celebration after that goal was great to watch back again.

Those wins with our backs against the wall are the ones I love the most. This game and the '05 Qualifying Final against the Crows would have to be my two all-time favourites. Great memories.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Listening to a bit of Geary on that podcast, sounds like he is a good chance to play next week. Which would be huge for us.
We have missed Gears for sure.
Him in DMac out.

Found this report about the Saints final game at Moorabbin . Terrible reporting but great footage of the fans . The reporter claims that VFL park holds 90,000 people . Looking at the records the biggest crowd they had was just over 92000 but according to the capacity for the ground its 80000 so i wonder what the correct figure actually was . I remember being there for 60000 and i wondered where they could have fit another 20000 in that day . I think at the time the vfl were trying to scare the MCG into giving them a better deal by making it seem that they might not need the MCG anymore , but it didnt work lol.

Don’t Panic !!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jake loves his twitter
61300365_2226910564088677_3545643034974617600_n.jpg

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Nice interview with Rowan Marshall.
Marshall’s incredible journey to the big stage
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/07e28ed113c5d2a4f4c10fde6b5172e1

No mention of him playing rugby as a kid. Maybe they should have interviewed Drake Huggins instead.
You must have a rich, full and fascinating life, hanging on for weeks on end to have a go at someone on a footy forum. You must be a fascinating person to know. I was WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. There, I admit it. You're right. I'm so ******* sorry for my transgressions. I hope you can find it in your enormous heart to forgive me.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
You must have a rich, full and fascinating life, hanging on for weeks on end to have a go at someone on a footy forum. You must be a fascinating person to know. I was WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. There, I admit it. You're right. I'm so ******* sorry for my transgressions. I hope you can find it in your enormous heart to forgive me.
You would make No Fonzie my friend!
But rest easy sir, you are forgiven Drakey! ;)

After the torrent of abuse last time this came up, this is almost like a love letter. May you continue on your journey of personal growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back