Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
REPORTS: Luke Dunstan faces clouded future
Dunstan has enjoyed a purple patch of form but remains in contract limbo.

Ben Cotton

EDITOR
May 31, 2019 - 3:44 pm

https://reddit.com/submit?url=https...le=REPORTS: Luke Dunstan faces clouded future
https://www.zerohanger.com/luke-dunstan-facing-clouded-future-30186/#

GettyImages-960037438-696x459.jpg

St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan remains unsigned for next season despite enjoying arguably the best form of his career.

The Herald Sun is reporting that his purple patch could attract the interest of rival clubs, with Hawthorn and Carlton cashed up and looking to bolster their midfields.

Dunstan has racked up 15 AFL Coaches’ Association votes, the most of any Saint, averaging 14 contested possessions and eight clearances a game over that span.

The South Australian was dropped to the VFL early in the season and it was looking like he might have to pursue senior opportunities elsewhere.

But this resurgence of form amongst St Kilda’s improvement could have the club striving to extend the hard nut’s contract.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
REPORTS: Luke Dunstan faces clouded future
Dunstan has enjoyed a purple patch of form but remains in contract limbo.

Ben Cotton

EDITOR
May 31, 2019 - 3:44 pm

https://reddit.com/submit?url=https...le=REPORTS: Luke Dunstan faces clouded future
https://www.zerohanger.com/luke-dunstan-facing-clouded-future-30186/#

GettyImages-960037438-696x459.jpg

St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan remains unsigned for next season despite enjoying arguably the best form of his career.

The Herald Sun is reporting that his purple patch could attract the interest of rival clubs, with Hawthorn and Carlton cashed up and looking to bolster their midfields.

Dunstan has racked up 15 AFL Coaches’ Association votes, the most of any Saint, averaging 14 contested possessions and eight clearances a game over that span.

The South Australian was dropped to the VFL early in the season and it was looking like he might have to pursue senior opportunities elsewhere.

But this resurgence of form amongst St Kilda’s improvement could have the club striving to extend the hard nut’s contract.

round 1 -18 touches
round 2 - 16
round 3 - 20
round 8 - 36
round 9 - 30
round 10 - 20

as you can see his first 3 games where not to good - his next 3 have been good , but at this stage he has to keep playing the way is now
Luke is a good player but he needs to be consistent.

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really good 10 minute interview with Jono Marsh on Fox's 'On the Mark'. I think you need Kayo to watch it.

Goes really in depth to his time at Collingwood and his mental struggles. Barely touch on the Saints to be honest.

Rather emotional interview actually. Really opens up.

Ah see it's been mentioned on the previous page with a link as well.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...LUu8aLgXH-emCiMMxB3hT876XNL7-6dmGGvWeSRrZUE3I

RUNNING BOUNCES
Connor McKenna and Seb Ross (23)
While one name under this category comes as no surprise, many footy fans would be shocked to see Seb Ross here.
We don’t often associate long, raking runs down the wing with contested beast Ross, but the Saints midfielder is leading this category with running defender Connor McKenna.

I'm not sure Seb has ever been a "contested beast", if they mean outside runner that should get running bounces they might have a point.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...LUu8aLgXH-emCiMMxB3hT876XNL7-6dmGGvWeSRrZUE3I

RUNNING BOUNCES
Connor McKenna and Seb Ross (23)
While one name under this category comes as no surprise, many footy fans would be shocked to see Seb Ross here.
We don’t often associate long, raking runs down the wing with contested beast Ross, but the Saints midfielder is leading this category with running defender Connor McKenna.

I'm not sure Seb has ever been a "contested beast", if they mean outside runner that should get running bounces they might have a point.
Interestingly he hasn't had a running bounce in the past 3 weeks while in the other 8 games he had at least one per game.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

Think he's earned it. I was hard on him last year, but this year his leadership on field was definitely there.

Looking through that article, I'll put my membership card in the microwave if the Saints won't renew Carlisles contract because he didn't reach the threshold needed to automatically renew it. After last year, he has earned at least an extra year.

Personally, I'd be giving him a new 4 year contract with more money attached.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Think he's earned it. I was hard on him last year, but this year his leadership on field was definitely there.

Looking through that article, I'll put my membership card in the microwave if the Saints won't renew Carlisles contract because he didn't reach the threshold needed to automatically renew it. After last year, he has earned at least an extra year.

I don’t think the question is whether they renew him, but whether it’s under that contract or whether the dollars are renegotiated. Presumably better for him if under the existing contract, better for the club if they can renegotiate.

We showed the faith after the ****storm when he arrived, he's since repaid, both parties should be able to come to terms. The renegotiation may in fact suit him as he can get what he deserves rather than being bound to the initial contract

I replied to this tweet with "Contact below the knees, free kick Sydney" because I couldn't remember the name of the Sydney guy that Roo lands on in the end. Two minutes later it was liked by Jared Crouch. I got the feeling he'd been waiting 15 years for that comment.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Me after saints lose 5/6 and get flogged in china: Kinda looking forward to the bye, so I could have a weekend off feeling miserably depressed.

AFL.com: Did you know 100 years ago saints lost by a record margin and no team has ever conceded more goals in a quarter?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Carlisles contract will be signed at end of season.

St Kilda will be needing to see how he has recovered from his back injury before signing him again.
Hopefully he comes back bigger than ever and gets a good contract - we need him too , however a back injury could actually end your career so let's just see what happens at the end of the year.

I regard Carlisle as one of the most dangerous tall players in the AFL , he can play back or forward and with a fit Carlisle in our team could easily lead us to finals this year.

Getting Carlisle back into the team would give us a quality tall in our forward line either Carlisle or Battle moving forward.

With Hannebery and Steven coming back into the side would give us 3 ball winners that we don't really have at the moment.

I can only hope all 3 comeback in and regain fitness and form and get us the wins we need to play finals.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Me after saints lose 5/6 and get flogged in china: Kinda looking forward to the bye, so I could have a weekend off feeling miserably depressed.

AFL.com: Did you know 100 years ago saints lost by a record margin and no team has ever conceded more goals in a quarter?
It’s interesting to note we had several players basically walk off in disgust and only had 14 fit men.

So the Shitney Colas (I can call them that here right? Let’s find out...) actually scored their 17.4 against 14 fit players AND some may not have even been on the ground at the time. Makes that record a bit of an asterisk if you ask me.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
It’s interesting to note we had several players basically walk off in disgust and only had 14 fit men.

So the Shitney Colas (I can call them that here right? Let’s find out...) actually scored their 17.4 against 14 fit players AND some may not have even been on the ground at the time. Makes that record a bit of an asterisk if you ask me.
I think the whole competition prior to the 90s should have and asterisk on it, but that doesn't stop the old boys from rubbing it in. Geelong want there 1800s vfa flags put on the record now, FMD

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The media always look at St Kilda in the negative
Why can't they look at the team and realize when we get 3 elite players back we will be more than a force.

Every game from here on will be like a final , our next against the Suns will be the next tough task and hopefully we can get through that game with a win and the following week go in against the Lions with Hannebery and Steven back into the 22 this will give us a massive lift and push our teams confidence up before taking on the Tigers and hopefully by round 16 against the Roo's we get Carlisle back to add more strength to our 22.

After the shocking showing in China we need to regroup and look forward and show everyone we have the squad to take the next step.

We now have a extemely young squad and if we can add a couple good players in the off season which I sure we will , it will encourage Ratten to stay and will be a clear indication we are on the right track.

Love or hate Leathean he has added some method to our club , with just the added personnel with Ratten , Lade , Slatter , Allan , Brereton , Gallager, Chancellor and looking back at the these additions who did they replace , I can't really think of one.
These guys are adding valued experience to our club and are only adding a base for St Kilda to get stronger.

We have found some real gems this year in Marshall , Battle , Wilkie , Paton and with the maturing Billings , Gresham , McKenzie and the potential of Max King , Bytel , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Clavarino we will be a force.

There is no reason we couldn't be a force next year with growth with in the team as well as some additions , I don't want to dream about getting Coniglio or a Whitfield but if we secure a couple more talented mids and having a fit squad as in having Carlisle , Hannebery , Steven in the team firing we will be a top 4 side.
( we will be getting a couple players who it will be is any ones guess but Allan has the contacts and will deliver the goods)

The mention of Goldy from North (will cost us nothing trade wise) joining the team would be a welcomed addition , just to support Marshall who I feel is becoming a top line ruckman as well as we know we will be getting Biggie next year you know you would be getting a top line mentor for these young guys allowing us to de-list Pierce and Longer.

Getting back to the media , just watch these worms jump on our band wagon once it gets rolling.

Go Saints

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its because its the default narative for St Kilda. The club thats no good.
They said that about Hawthorn when they where about to fold or merge with the Demons - we can turn this club around and having the youngest averaged team playing this year still being in a position to make the 8 is a great start.

I remember a couple years ago when everyone was raving about the King brothers and dreaming about getting them , well we somehow got Max King and this kid could easily be our next superstar and with a group of talented young kids the future is looking great.

Marshall is developing to be a star and with Gresham , Billings , Battle you couldn't be any happier and don't write off Hunter Clark , Coffield , Bytel and Clavarino because they will all be be players.

Love or hate Leathean he has added some method to our club , with just the added personnel with Ratten , Lade , Slatter , Allan , Brereton , Gallager, Chancellor and looking back at the these additions who did they replace , I can't really think of one.These guys are adding valued experience to our club and are only adding a base for St Kilda to get stronger.

We have found some real gems this year in Marshall , Battle , Wilkie , Paton and with the maturing Billings , Gresham , McKenzie and the potential of Max King , Bytel , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Clavarino we will be a force.

There is no reason we couldn't be a force next year with growth with in the team as well as some additions , I don't want to dream about getting Coniglio or a Whitfield but if we secure a couple more talented mids and having a fit squad as in having Carlisle , Hannebery , Steven in the team firing we will be a top 4 side.
( we will be getting a couple players who it will be is any ones guess but Allan has the contacts and will deliver the goods)

The mention of Goldy from North (will cost us nothing trade wise) joining the team would be a welcomed addition , just to support Marshall who I feel is becoming a top line ruckman as well as we know we will be getting Biggie next year you know you would be getting a top line mentor for these young guys allowing us to de-list Pierce and Longer.
Getting back to the media , just watch these worms jump on our band wagon once it gets rolling.

Go Saints

Don’t forget Dixon! :oops:

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The media always look at St Kilda in the negative
Why can't they look at the team and realize when we get 3 elite players back we will be more than a force.

Go Saints

I love your positive posting here, but I think you are in dream land and are over rating the list massively here.

I'm either a pessimist or a realist, but what you are describing above is IF every single thing we need to go right, goes right then we could go top 4 - based on the last few years, not many things have gone right (number one draft pick looks like never playing again, heart troubles and mental health issues for our best players etc..).

I think our current list is more likely to languish in the bottom 6 than be pushing for top 4.

RE the gems:
- Marshall has played 10 games in the ruck and looks good but we need him to develop and become a lot more rounded to compete with Gawn and Grundy and be considered A Grade. He is ahead of expectations but is not an A Grader.
- Battle and Wilkie have had a good year so far and look like solid B Grade player potential but again haven't played many games
- Paton has been okay, on track to be C grade + IMO.
- I wouldn't call any of these players gems yet, they are playing way above what we expected (which I think is making us over rate them) but if you compare them to other players in the comp they wouldn't be guaranteed walk up starters in teams nearer the top of the ladder

- Billings has been a bit better but still don't think we see the best of him until we have a much better midfield group getting him the ball.
- Gresham has been brilliant at times and quiet at times but our best chance of an elite player.
- McKenzie? He is fit and hard at it but don't see him being anything other than an honest hard working, C Grade defender.

- Parker, Kent can be solid B Graders at best but it's too early to tell properly. Bruce looks close to his ceiling as does Membrey and Ross.
- Jack Steele was one we all expected to come on this year but he hasn't, he looks great tagging Cripps and can find the ball when tagging the opposition's best player but when given freedom in the midfield he isn't nearly as impactful and can't find it as much.

- Bytel, Clark, Coffield, King, Claravino, who knows? We can't hang our hat on these players as we haven't seen enough of them yet aside from Clark, just need to hope. The chances of them all becoming A grade players is extremely slim.

- Hannebery, there is no evidence that he gets back to his best
- Carlisle, will improve the team no doubt assuming that he can get back to his best footy (I believe he will).
- Steven, who knows, doubt he impacts this year if he comes back, has he even been training on his time off? How does an explosive player like that come back after the majority of a year off who will be 30 years old by the time next year starts?

- Whitfield / Coniglio, we have been unable to attract one single elite player to our club with one of the highest amounts of spare salary cap space in the competition. Those trends suggest we aren't getting anyone so would be a massive outside chance for this to happen.
- Goldy from North, just don't see how it happens, would be a dumb for North to let him go and I can't see how we are going to be competitive in the next 3 years.
- On that though, we have no ruck depth, if Marshall goes down injured then we are screwed as Longer and Pierce are no good in the modern game. I don't see Goldstein coming to us as a back up ruckman and the coin he would want I don't see us paying for a back up ruck.

I hope I am wrong with the above by the way and probably playing devils advocate a bit. I just don't see our current list being anywhere near a top 4 team any time soon regardless of who is coaching.

If anything, it's a credit to the coaches who have over achieved this year with a below average list (still believe a change there is required too by the way).

We have the 2nd easiest draw of all teams for the last half of the year, done ladder predictors, even optimistic tipping I have us out of the 8 on %. With a normal / balanced view we miss by 12 points and finish around 11th or 12th.

Happy Saturday night :D.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love your positive posting here, but I think you are in dream land and are over rating the list massively here.

I'm either a pessimist or a realist, but what you are describing above is IF every single thing we need to go right, goes right then we could go top 4 - based on the last few years, not many things have gone right (number one draft pick looks like never playing again, heart troubles and mental health issues for our best players etc..).

I think our current list is more likely to languish in the bottom 6 than be pushing for top 4.

RE the gems:
- Marshall has played 10 games in the ruck and looks good but we need him to develop and become a lot more rounded to compete with Gawn and Grundy and be considered A Grade. He is ahead of expectations but is not an A Grader.
- Battle and Wilkie have had a good year so far and look like solid B Grade player potential but again haven't played many games
- Paton has been okay, on track to be C grade + IMO.
- I wouldn't call any of these players gems yet, they are playing way above what we expected (which I think is making us over rate them) but if you compare them to other players in the comp they wouldn't be guaranteed walk up starters in teams nearer the top of the ladder

- Billings has been a bit better but still don't think we see the best of him until we have a much better midfield group getting him the ball.
- Gresham has been brilliant at times and quiet at times but our best chance of an elite player.
- McKenzie? He is fit and hard at it but don't see him being anything other than an honest hard working, C Grade defender.

- Parker, Kent can be solid B Graders at best but it's too early to tell properly. Bruce looks close to his ceiling as does Membrey and Ross.
- Jack Steele was one we all expected to come on this year but he hasn't, he looks great tagging Cripps and can find the ball when tagging the opposition's best player but when given freedom in the midfield he isn't nearly as impactful and can't find it as much.

- Bytel, Clark, Coffield, King, Claravino, who knows? We can't hang our hat on these players as we haven't seen enough of them yet aside from Clark, just need to hope. The chances of them all becoming A grade players is extremely slim.

- Hannebery, there is no evidence that he gets back to his best
- Carlisle, will improve the team no doubt assuming that he can get back to his best footy (I believe he will).
- Steven, who knows, doubt he impacts this year if he comes back, has he even been training on his time off? How does an explosive player like that come back after the majority of a year off who will be 30 years old by the time next year starts?

- Whitfield / Coniglio, we have been unable to attract one single elite player to our club with one of the highest amounts of spare salary cap space in the competition. Those trends suggest we aren't getting anyone so would be a massive outside chance for this to happen.
- Goldy from North, just don't see how it happens, would be a dumb for North to let him go and I can't see how we are going to be competitive in the next 3 years.
- On that though, we have no ruck depth, if Marshall goes down injured then we are screwed as Longer and Pierce are no good in the modern game. I don't see Goldstein coming to us as a back up ruckman and the coin he would want I don't see us paying for a back up ruck.

I hope I am wrong with the above by the way and probably playing devils advocate a bit. I just don't see our current list being anywhere near a top 4 team any time soon regardless of who is coaching.

If anything, it's a credit to the coaches who have over achieved this year with a below average list (still believe a change there is required too by the way).

We have the 2nd easiest draw of all teams for the last half of the year, done ladder predictors, even optimistic tipping I have us out of the 8 on %. With a normal / balanced view we miss by 12 points and finish around 11th or 12th.

Happy Saturday night :D.
i think your grading system is a little off if you think battle and wilkie have B grade potential... paton on track to be c+ grade... you're a whole grade out

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think your grading system is a little off if you think battle and wilkie have B grade potential... paton on track to be c+ grade... you're a whole grade out

I think the grading system is completely subjective - so in all likelihood my gradings are a little off in the opinions of others.

The only attempt I have seen at an actual grading system was a presentation by Chris Pelchen I had the misfortune to attend a few years ago.

That worked out well.

Battle has played 18 games, 11 as a defender. Wilkie has played 11 games. Anything could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back