News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How good was footy back then? That 03-6 era was by far my most enjoyable time. I even preferred it to the GF years under RTB. Damn we played an attractive brand of footy & the players we had were so likeable. G-Train has to be one of my all time favourite players. What a stud.

How good was footy back then? That 03-6 era was by far my most enjoyable time. I even preferred it to the GF years under RTB. Damn we played an attractive brand of footy & the players we had were so likeable. G-Train has to be one of my all time favourite players. What a stud.
20 goals was expected from us under GT. I loved the heavy metal style we played back then. I liked RL too but probably because we were winning. It was very dull to the outsider I imagine.

20 goals was expected from us under GT. I loved the heavy metal style we played back then. I liked RL too but probably because we were winning. It was very dull to the outsider I imagine.

And Lenny streaming through the guts.
We tend to forget how good a kick he was, he kicked bullets.

The momentum was like a train too, you could feel the force awakening. The GT years were awesome. We had players you just loved watching too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy was meant to be played the way Saints played under GT.

The momentum was like a train too, you could feel the force awakening. The GT years were awesome. We had players you just loved watching too.
Damn that's a good vid! Just had a quick look at that 04 team.

Baker, Hudgeton, S.Fisher
Goddard, Penny, Jones
Black, Lenny, Dal
Joey, Roo, Hamill
Milne, Gherig, Clarke
Knobel, Harvey, Ball
Blake, Voss, Powell, Thompson

Seriously: Kozy, Swartze, Peckett, Guerra, Maguire, L.Fisher & Gram are just depth!

Damn that 04 group was talented. Maybe even more so than our 09/10 team.
Sadly, how many players from our current team would even get a run in that group? Marshall, Steven & Gresh would be walk up starts. Maybe Billings or Membery depending on preferences. Carlisle at a real stretch.

So that is 3 players good enough, probably 5 or 6 tops. Our current team is just extremely meh in comparison to 04. Sadly we have a long long way to go to get back to that level …

Footy was meant to be played the way Saints played under GT.
You know what I love about that team? Only about 4 or 5 players interested in defence, tackling or negating their opponent. We just backed ourselves and blew teams away on ability. Miss having that identity!

Last edited:

George.....great great clip...thx for posting.....was at that game.....loved it.....as said above....what an era.......we pretty well expected to win every week.

Those were the days !!!!!!

Damn that's a good vid! Just had a quick look at that 04 team.

Baker, Hudgeton, S.Fisher
Goddard, Penny, Jones
Black, Lenny, Dal
Joey, Roo, Hamill
Milne, Gherig, Clarke
Knobel, Harvey, Ball
Blake, Voss, Powell, Thompson

Seriously: Kozy, Swartze, Peckett, Guerra, Maguire, L.Fisher & Gram are just depth!

Damn that 04 group was talented. Maybe even more so than our 09/10 team.
Sadly, how many players from our current team would even get a run in that group? Marshall, Steven & Gresh would be walk up starts. Maybe Billings or Membery depending on preferences. Carlisle at a real stretch.

So that is 3 players good enough, probably 5 or 6 tops. Our current team is just extremely meh in comparison to 04. Sadly we have a long long way to go to get back to that level …

You know what I love about that team? Only about 4 or 5 players interested in defence, tackling or negating their opponent. We just backed ourselves and blew teams away on ability. Miss having that identity!
Pity we didn't have a real coach like Lyon at the time.

Probably would have walked away with 3 flags...

Pity we didn't have a real coach like Lyon at the time.

Probably would have walked away with 3 flags...
so unfair that Ross got all those premierships and GT didn't

I used to think the early 90s and when plugger was firing were my most enjoyable days. But those early mid 00s were just as awesome. To this day ive never seen anyone use their body as recklessly as Hamill. Was truly a sight to behold. And G-train, what a cult hero we had. Ahh those were the days, when we were a destination club.

When i was asked to suggest a name for my sister's first baby I immediately thought Max, after my favourite player. Never told my sister he was a footballer. She'd never have gone for it if she knew.

Max is 5 now. We all live in different houses on the site of the old Waverly Park. Everytime we see the hawks train i tell him those are the Saints and he has to support the Saints. Lol. This deception will not continue for much longer, so im brainwashing him as much as i can, while I can. Poor kid. Anyway he's my daily reminder of the good old days.

It's funny, I was just thinking about the 2004/05 era yesterday and then discussion comes up.

In particular, I was thinking about a game I was at in 04 when we annihilated the Eagles by over 100 points. They were no mugs obviously and won it all about 15 months later. That game was when we were at our peak I reckon, it was amazing stuff to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back