News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stunt guy lol , id say anyone who could ride a scooter would do
Definitely a stunt guy.

And a very average one at that 😉

Excellent? The sponsorship achievement is excellent, the announcement was ok, the promotional video was... well, it was desperately poor. Even worse than the G-train membership video and that was bad.
The Saints have traditionally struggled to attract big sponsors, and this Roo/Deliveroo deal makes me think we need to take a whole new approach to things.

I therefore propose that over the next few years we look to draft kids such as:
  • Qantas Smith
  • Barry Michael Walker (aka Beamer)
  • Aldi Dipetta
👍🏻

Excellent? The sponsorship achievement is excellent, the announcement was ok, the promotional video was... well, it was desperately poor. Even worse than the G-train membership video and that was bad.

It was a video.

I guess we have different standards.

It ticks all the boxes for me.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

I thought the G-Train membership video was good. It was fun to see the big guy involved again, just a shame he went missing through the year.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
well, my troll posts got removed, but I honestly feel like the club could easily throw it open to the public/some film schools to pitch better ideas, which they'd do for free. And coming from a media/filmmaking background, there is so much more that they could be doing, and very very easily at that. Forget how average the ad is, they could easily chuck a lapel mic on say one of the old stalwarts at moorabin and follow him around with a camera talking about some of the memories/what he does day to day, would make a great 5-10 minute doco that could be shot and edited in a couple of days by one person. Or say, you could follow around someone more comfortable in the media such as nathan brown and have him talk about the extras he does after training and why he does them, along with just little things. It's a mini doc goldmine that would generate actual memberships due to the public becoming more involved and invested in the club

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Complaining about a sponsorship video :tearsofjoy:
it's more than that george, that's like saying we were complaining about richo because he used the word 'pleasing'. It's because he used the word pleasing after a s**t game and 6 years at the helm with no real progress. The club's media department is a joke, literally one half competent media person working part time on 20k a year would bring about massive gains to the club in regards to content and supporter involvement/emotional investment

it's more than that george, that's like saying we were complaining about richo because he used the word 'pleasing'. It's because he used the word pleasing after a s**t game and 6 years at the helm with no real progress. The club's media department is a joke, literally one half competent media person working part time on 20k a year would bring about massive gains to the club in regards to content and supporter involvement/emotional investment

Just amazes me how people will find a negative in literally every single thing the club does. It was a sponsorship announcement. What more do people want? It was a light hearted video and was a bit of a laugh. We should be celebrating the fact we signed a major brand like Deliveroo and Riewoldt is back helping the club, not worrying about a minute long video announcing such. I mean really...

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just amazes me how people will find a negative in literally every single thing the club does. It was a sponsorship announcement. What more do people want? It was a light hearted video and was a bit of a laugh. We should be celebrating the fact we signed a major brand like Deliveroo and Riewoldt is back helping the club, not worrying about a minute long video announcing such. I mean really...
well I don't think austin was "worrying about a minute long video", he was just offering a counterpoint to everyone heaping praise on it. I for one agree that it was pretty cringeworthy. Not everyone's gonna see things the way people want them to, but by VDS going the man with his tried and true "do you want the club to offer an apology" vibe it's actually counterproductive to a legitimate conversation about our media department, which some of us think has been underperforming for a while.

I think Molton Gang bangs is right and if its true he has a back ground in films-media i think he has every right to have his say without some having a crack at him , The video was very much amateur hour at best and yes it was meant to be a bit of fun but surely they could have made it half believable

Last edited:
well I don't think austin was "worrying about a minute long video", he was just offering a counterpoint to everyone heaping praise on it. I for one agree that it was pretty cringeworthy. Not everyone's gonna see things the way people want them to, but by VDS going the man with his tried and true "do you want the club to offer an apology" vibe it's actually counterproductive to a legitimate conversation about our media department, which some of us think has been underperforming for a while.
Fair point. You are right re playing the man.

I can't agree that we've been dropping the ball in the media department. We can only do so much during the season given how busy it is and how tough it is to try and get coaches and players to give up their time for the supporters. Clair's podcast with Lethers is a great way the club has let the supporters in, and that's been weekly all year. Gears' podcast with JB and Newnes is also a bit of fun and gives us an idea of the players outside the club.

I don't know what else we can do to improve it. Linton St doco was some of the best media work the club has ever done and that was with the group we have employed there now.

They and we dont George , just because a few of us thought it was average , we are allowed to have an opinion

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fair point. You are right re playing the man.

I can't agree that we've been dropping the ball in the media department. We can only do so much during the season given how busy it is and how tough it is to try and get coaches and players to give up their time for the supporters. Clair's podcast with Lethers is a great way the club has let the supporters in, and that's been weekly all year. Gears' podcast with JB and Newnes is also a bit of fun and gives us an idea of the players outside the club.

I don't know what else we can do to improve it. Linton St doco was some of the best media work the club has ever done and that was with the group we have employed there now.
yeah I must say I think the podcasts are great, and also I conveniently forgot about the linton st series when forming my current opinion on the media department, they do do some great stuff.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
What happened to the dude spruking big news but her cant say what it is?

I bet some waited up all night for him to return ;)
Any one who says they have new's and don't mention what it is just wants attention.
Anyway we might have a few more rumours this week with the Dogs and Bombers knocked out of finals.

Any one who says they have new's and don't mention what it is just wants attention.
Anyway we might have a few more rumours this week with the Dogs and Bombers knocked out of finals.

Yep i dont see the need to spruke off and then say you cant tell, tell us after it happens or not at all.

I thought the G-Train membership video was good. It was fun to see the big guy involved again, just a shame he went missing through the year.

So did I jwikked……..it was extremely corny but I thought very very funny.

From a marketing perspective...

We are bombarded with slick productions and testing has shown that "goofy" is more believable these days.

I strongly doubt the club took a shortcut, and most likely did it for a reason.

People are tired of slick corporate marketing, as comes across as spin to a cynical audience.

It was a lighthearted bit of fun with Roo and, let’s not forget, announcement of a major sponsor signing together with champ of the club jumping back on board.

I was in advertising ( art director) in my previous (pre-Australia) life and seriously, and really they weren’t going out to make a Cannes award winning ad/video.
It was fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back