Memberships 2019 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY 42,910)

They've got a D-Mac badge lumped in with all those other discount badges, that's gotta burn.

I just noticed that too austinnn….

Gee...there's some blasts from the past with those badges........As you said...poor old D-mac would feel deflated if he saw that webpage.

Wonder how big the bargain bin is at the RSEA shop.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I just noticed that too austinnn….

Gee...there's some blasts from the past with those badges........As you said...poor old D-mac would feel deflated if he saw that webpage.

Wonder how big the bargain bin is at the RSEA shop.

Plenty of of stuff that no one will ever want there. Add it to the mountains of crap produced every second that nobody needs or wants but somehow finds its way to shops and market stalls and ends up inside the stomachs of turtles and whales. God that's depressing.

Current Membership Tally (07/05/2019):

This Time Last Year (08/05/2018):

Difference:

All-Time Tally;
1. 46,998 (2018)
2. 42,094 (2017)
3. 41,217 (2019)
4. 39,276 (2011)
5. 39,021 (2010)

Projected Final Total:

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have a suggestion for the membership department. Set up a way for people to purchase memberships for disadvantaged, disabled, elderly fans who would otherwise be unable to afford it. Pretty sure the club already has a database of such people.
Even a 3 game membership would be massive.

There are a lot of supporters out there who want to help the club, but they'll want to see their money being put to good use. It wont cost much for those willing to donate, the club benefits and fans benefit.

Add an extra link in the membership page where folks if they wanted, could help. Won't take long or cost anything.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
I have a suggestion for the membership department. Set up a way for people to purchase memberships for disadvantaged, disabled, elderly fans who would otherwise be unable to afford it. Pretty sure the club already has a database of such people.

There are a lot of supporters out there who want to help the club, but they'll want to see their money being put to good use. It wont cost much for those willing to donate, the club benefits and fans benefit.

Add an extra link in the membership page where folks if they wanted, could help. Won't take long or cost anything.

That's a great idea. I'm involved with an amateur footy club that has an expensive grand final lunch each year, and the past players are asked to buy a seat at the lunch for the young players who are still students. Plenty put their hands in their pockets.

I suggested they get into the different communities and offer a row of seats a few years ago. Find a Sudanese community one week and give a club guide to explain it etc. Make some new fans before they decide. They might not go to games but they tell their kids we're Saints fans and you bank them down the track. Go to schools and do the same, old peoples homes, homeless shelters anything. Would get some extra fans and look like good guys. At the moment the hands are empty, might as well sell some chips and make us look like we have friends.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's a great idea. I'm involved with an amateur footy club that has an expensive grand final lunch each year, and the past players are asked to buy a seat at the lunch for the young players who are still students. Plenty put their hands in their pockets.

Yeah been thinking about this a bit since i moved back to Oz last year. Many years ago, my cousin had an elderly neighbour a few doors down who i always noticed would take her dog for a stroll wearing her hand knitted saints scarf. For years we would just exchange pleasantries, never anything more than a casual 'hi, nice day today, etc'. I never mentioned i was a fellow saints fan.

Then one day she saw me with my saints gear after a match. The spark in her eye was instantaneous. We got to talking, i found out she was spinster, with no living relatives. Her fiance had died in the war and she never married. He was a massive saints man and i guess supporting the club closely after his death was her way of keeping his memory alive. She told me she hadn't been to a game since Trevor Barker retired. Being older and on a pension + living in Clayton south, made it impossible for her.

Anyway, i offered to take her to docklands to watch us play. That was the North match in 03 when GTrain kicked the winner with secs left. There weren't many there that day but gosh it was loud at the end. I still remember the look of pure joy on her face. In the months that followed, I'd offer to bring her to another game, wanted to buy her a membership, but everytime, she would politely decline. For awhile i thought it was her pride, but she told my cousin that that game was as good a last game as any to attend.

After I moved overseas, whenever i spoke with my cousin he would tell me the St Kilda granny sends her regards. She passed away in 08, quite awhile now, but ill never forget that afternoon. Harvs running through the middle, kicking long to Fraser Gehrig!! The joy on her face..

Anyway, it was just a small gesture but for her it obviously meant a great deal. Im sure we could do similar things for other less fortunate fans out there.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I suggested they get into the different communities and offer a row of seats a few years ago. Find a Sudanese community one week and give a club guide to explain it etc. Make some new fans before they decide. They might not go to games but they tell their kids we're Saints fans and you bank them down the track. Go to schools and do the same, old peoples homes, homeless shelters anything. Would get some extra fans and look like good guys. At the moment the hands are empty, might as well sell some chips and make us look like we have friends.

Yup, you're right. Our club especially needs to look at expanding our base. Cant just sit around and hope for old members to resign. The city's changed, demographics have changed, hopefully our club is being proactive.

Getting closer...

Current Membership Tally (13/05/2019):

This Time Last Year (14/05/2018):

Difference:

All-Time Tally;
1. 45,678 (2018)
2. 42,094 (2017)
3. 41,504 (2019)
4. 39,276 (2011)
5. 39,021 (2010)

Projected Final Total:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Getting closer...

Difference:

All-Time Tally;
1. 45,678 (2018)
2. 42,094 (2017)
3. 41,504 (2019)
4. 39,276 (2011)
5. 39,021 (2010)

Projected Final Total:
That's just so good mate.

All the hard work going in to memberships. Great result considering all the doom predictions of numbers dropping because of the coaching.

I can see why you get frustrated at the negativity.

Lots of good people working their **** off behind the scenes.

Getting closer...

Difference:

All-Time Tally;
1. 45,678 (2018)
2. 42,094 (2017)
3. 41,504 (2019)
4. 39,276 (2011)
5. 39,021 (2010)

Projected Final Total:

Considering last year’s debacle and the season we have had injury-wise that’s nothing short of brilliant, George.
Well done!

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
And perhaps some closure on the great “Just how big is the Saints support base?” debate:

In 2018, St Kilda had a support base of 294,000 supporters and boasts 1 in 5 supporters in the Bayside region.

The numbers quoted are the Club’s.
(Ref: p9 of the Reconciliation Action Plan).

This is exactly the number quoted in the Roy Morgan research published in 2017:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

We are a small club, any thought of reaching Richmond style membership numbers is total pipe dream stuff.

We are as big, or small, as Port Adelaide, North, Bulldogs and Melbourne.

(I was working separately on this issue, as plugger66 will attest. Pointless me continuing that work now. We have the answer).

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Yeah been thinking about this a bit since i moved back to Oz last year. Many years ago, my cousin had an elderly neighbour a few doors down who i always noticed would take her dog for a stroll wearing her hand knitted saints scarf. For years we would just exchange pleasantries, never anything more than a casual 'hi, nice day today, etc'. I never mentioned i was a fellow saints fan.

Then one day she saw me with my saints gear after a match. The spark in her eye was instantaneous. We got to talking, i found out she was spinster, with no living relatives. Her fiance had died in the war and she never married. He was a massive saints man and i guess supporting the club closely after his death was her way of keeping his memory alive. She told me she hadn't been to a game since Trevor Barker retired. Being older and on a pension + living in Clayton south, made it impossible for her.

Anyway, i offered to take her to docklands to watch us play. That was the North match in 03 when GTrain kicked the winner with secs left. There weren't many there that day but gosh it was loud at the end. I still remember the look of pure joy on her face. In the months that followed, I'd offer to bring her to another game, wanted to buy her a membership, but everytime, she would politely decline. For awhile i thought it was her pride, but she told my cousin that that game was as good a last game as any to attend.

After I moved overseas, whenever i spoke with my cousin he would tell me the St Kilda granny sends her regards. She passed away in 08, quite awhile now, but ill never forget that afternoon. Harvs running through the middle, kicking long to Fraser Gehrig!! The joy on her face..

Anyway, it was just a small gesture but for her it obviously meant a great deal. Im sure we could do similar things for other less fortunate fans out there.
That is s beautiful story mate. I hope someone like you is around should I ever end up alone like that poor old lady. Goodness for its own reward is such a powerful action.

Great initiative by the way!

And perhaps some closure on the great “Just how big is the Saints support base?” debate:

In 2018, St Kilda had a support base of 294,000 supporters and boasts 1 in 5 supporters in the Bayside region.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7345-roy-morgan-afl-supporter-ladder-2017-201709210118

We are a small club, any thought of reaching Richmond style membership numbers is total pipe dream stuff.

(I was working separately on this issue, as plugger66 will attest. Pointless me continuing that work now. We have the answer).
So roughly 14 percent of our supporters are members.

wow, so plugger was right!!! i have to apologise to him! sorry mate!

so where did Finnis get his "we are as big as richmond" thing from? i assume an outdated inaccurate poll?

EDIT: found it the poll is based off of 14,544 participants then expanded from there. so no wonder we see such large discrepancies, which pretty much makes the poll completely useless.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
wow, so plugger was right!!! i have to apologise to him! sorry mate!

so where did Finnis get his "we are as big as richmond" thing from? i assume an outdated inaccurate poll?

EDIT: found it the poll is based off of 14,544 participants then expanded from there. so no wonder we see such large discrepancies, which pretty much makes the poll completely useless.
Well I’m pretty sure they get elections right off much smaller figures. That is a big figure to poll. Not sure there is any other way to do it.

Back