Prediction 2019 Starting 22

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Quoting one word of a sentence doesn't really paint the full picture mate. If you were to ask Fagan, Noble etc if they see McStay as best 22 they would laugh and say of course.

Does he have areas to improve? Yes, like practically in our best 22.

As you mentioned, his kicking and impacting contests were not up to standard for a part. He was dropped, trained with a kicking coach and returned a much better overall prospect. All of his stats improved. His defensive work was much better. His constested marking improved. He averaged 1.5 goals a game which was a scratch under Hipwood which for a second forward you'd certainly take.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you'll find the club rates Dan highly and will be pushing to re-sign him ASAP because we see him as a best 22 KPF for years to come.
Good to hear that Fages and Nobes consult you on team selections!

This is my take... McStay was best 22 last year but the club are getting pissed off with him so are looking at options.
Adams was brought in to compete with Walker and McStay.
Cam Rayner just does not have the tank for midfield but is an excellent burst player and a good mark.
He is also in line for McStay's spot, leaving an extra spot for one of our new mids to play a HF mid role (or maybe free up one of our current mids for that instead).
Over the preseason these issues will be sorted out. By our last final preseason game we will have a pretty good idea who will be first 22 at round 1. At this stage my thinking is there is no best 22 until the coaches can have a look at everyone.
I actually reckon Cam Rayner is best option here and my prediction is McStay will not play round 1.
But no, I do not have a batphone to Fagnob so cannot say if they would laugh at my suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom14

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good to hear that Fages and Nobes consult you on team selections!

This is my take... McStay was best 22 last year but the club are getting pissed off with him so are looking at options.
Adams was brought in to compete with Walker and McStay.
Cam Rayner just does not have the tank for midfield but is an excellent burst player and a good mark.
He is also in line for McStay's spot, leaving an extra spot for one of our new mids to play a HF mid role (or maybe free up one of our current mids for that instead).
Over the preseason these issues will be sorted out. By our last final preseason game we will have a pretty good idea who will be first 22 at round 1. At this stage my thinking is there is no best 22 until the coaches can have a look at everyone.
I actually reckon Cam Rayner is best option here and my prediction is McStay will not play round 1.
But no, I do not have a batphone to Fagnob so cannot say if they would laugh at my suggestion.
Cam is 7cm shorter than McStay and the club very clearly sees him as a midfielder long term so suggesting he’s the reason McStay will play round 1 is interesting. Adams takes walkers spot down back for me so he’s not competition.

It was pretty clear at the end of the year that McStay was preferred to Walker up forward and it took harris’ injury for walker to have a good run down back and win another contract.

Honestly I think some people are (understandably) frustrated with McStay’s goal kicking issues and overreact to it as a result. I agree he needs to improve there - I just think he should be able to tidy that up. He hasn’t had a consistent run at a single position and has had a few interrupted pre-seasons so I’m bullish he can really emerge.

Dodongo

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dodongo has said this 100 times already and Dodongo will say it again

McStay will go close to winning a Coleman at some stage, if not winning it. He will top our goal kicking a few years.

It takes years for key forwards to come on. He has been played out of position and is developing quickly. Dodongo points out that he is presenting himself and getting a lot of shots at goal already. Accuracy will come.

Dodongo remembers Geelong not giving up on Hawkins when he was inaccurate and took a while to come on and any other team in the past with inaccurate forwards. Why should we give up on McStay? Dodongo thinks the people giving up on him and saying he should be traded etc are too impatient and expect players to be guns quickly when in fact it doesn't happen like that for every single player in the competiton, let alone McStay.

Dodongo thinks what McStay showed this year was massive improvement. The fact he had a lot of shots on goal is a good thing. Now be patient and wait for the accuracy to come, which it will. Dodongo can see him doubling up next year on the amount of goals he kicked this year.

McStay is a lock for best 22.

LongLion

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

McStay will go close to winning a Coleman at some stage, if not winning it. He will top our goal kicking a few years.

It takes years for key forwards to come on. He has been played out of position and is developing quickly. Dodongo points out that he is presenting himself and getting a lot of shots at goal already. Accuracy will come.

Dodongo remembers Geelong not giving up on Hawkins when he was inaccurate and took a while to come on and any other team in the past with inaccurate forwards. Why should we give up on McStay? Dodongo thinks the people giving up on him and saying he should be traded etc are too impatient and expect players to be guns quickly when in fact it doesn't happen like that for every single player in the competiton, let alone McStay.

Dodongo thinks what McStay showed this year was massive improvement. The fact he had a lot of shots on goal is a good thing. Now be patient and wait for the accuracy to come, which it will. Dodongo can see him doubling up next year on the amount of goals he kicked this year.

I'm with you on McStay as well Dodongo

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Im sick of the way you sit on the fence. You should be bolder with your predictions!

Top Bottom