Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed Jason. I'd like to see someone with a little pace in there, whoever that may be.

Has there been any update on that Irish fella we were trying to recruit? Apparently there were were a few teams after him, but we were the front runners? His test times in the 20m sprint and agility tests broke the combine records from memory.
James Madden, he was offered a contract with us around a month ago, haven't heard anything since and you were right re the sprint and agility tests.

I'll go over and ask lions insider on the appropriate thread if there are any updates on this.

FB: Witherden Andrews Robertson
HB: Rich Gardiner Cox
C: Taylor Berry McCluggage
HF: Beams Hipwood Christensen
FF: Cameron McStay Rayner
Foll: Martin Zorko Robinson
Bench: Cutler, Bailey, McInerney/Skinner, Hodge/Mayes

Updated
FB: Gardiner Andrews Robertson
HB: Rich Walker/Eagles/Payne/Frost/McStay Cox/Allison
C: Cutler Berry Witherden
HF: Christensen Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron McStay Zorko
Foll: Martin McCluggage Beams
Bench: Hodge, McInerney, Wallis/Robinson, Bailey

Last edited:
James Madden, he was offered a contract with us around a month ago, haven't heard anything since and you were right re the sprint and agility tests.

I'll go over and ask lions insider on the appropriate thread if there are any updates on this.

Yes he signed with us, details of the announcement are posted on the Lions website

FB: Gardiner Andrews Robertson
HB:Christensen Walker Hodge
C: Rich Wallis Witherden
HF: Zorko Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron McStay Beams
Foll: Martin McCluggage Berry
Bench: Starcevic, McInerney, Robinson, Rankine
Emerg: Taylor, Bailey, Eagles, Lyons, Madden/Cox .. speed.
Only added Wallis and Rankine.. hope we get someone good in trade or draft.

Play Zorko, Beams, Rayner and Cameron in the forward line and all four run through the midfield.
If we can get the ball out of the mid then with Hippy and McStay there be a lot to watch

Gardiner. Andrews. Hodge
Witho Eagles. Bundy

Martin Berry Rayner
Hugh, Zorko, cutler

Bailey. Cameron hippy
Mcstay Taylor Mitch r

Emerg: Starc. Number 5 pick. Payne. D Beams or his replacement

Drawing a long bow time and extrapolating from rumors on our board, from the starting side on Sunday-

Ins- Mitch Wallis, Seb Ross, Brad Hill, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Gardiner, Alex Witherden.

Outs- Ryan Lester, Rhys Matheison, Oscar McInerney, Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Brandon Starcevich.

Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.
Alex Witherden, Josh Walker, Allen Christensen.

Stef Martin, Dayne Beams, Mitch Wallis.
Seb Ross, Dayne Zorko, Jarrod Berry.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lewy Taylor.
Hugh McCluggage, Daniel McStay, Cameron Rayner.

Zac Bailey, Brad Hill, Nick Robertson, Tom Cutler.

Drawing a long bow time and extrapolating from rumors on our board, from the starting side on Sunday-

Ins- Mitch Wallis, Seb Ross, Brad Hill, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Gardiner, Alex Witherden.

Outs- Ryan Lester, Rhys Matheison, Oscar McInerney, Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Brandon Starcevich.

Won't have any issues with contested possessions with that lineup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are Daniel Rich and Mitch Robinson going?:huh:

Rich has given the club tremendous service and now people simply want to cast him aside.

No doubt te likes of Voss, Black and Brown would’ve been moved on pretty quickly within 3-4 years of their careers with the current mentality of supporters. :rolleyes::drunk:

Rich has given the club tremendous service and now people simply want to cast him aside.

No doubt te likes of Voss, Black and Brown would’ve been moved on pretty quickly within 3-4 years of their careers with the current mentality of supporters. :rolleyes::drunk:
Don't think he is getting rid of Rich, more that he is removing him from best 22 lineup. Which is not unreasonable l don't think. Still think he is one of the best kicks in our team tho.

Hill has come out and says he aint going nowehere

Travelling emergency. NEAFL.

If only we were all like you.

That you've compared Rich with 3 of the greatest lions players shows how little weight we should place on your thoughts about the list. Rich & Robinson are good players but have little to no improvement left in them. In 1-2 years Rich & Robinson will be lucky to get a game if our list keeps improving.

That's how it should be, that doesn't mean they are cast aside it just means better players in the the 22.

22 pre any trades, FA pickups, draft picks etc.

FB: Bundy Gardiner Robertson
HB: Rich Andrews Witherden
C: Cutler Berry Zorko
HF: Taylor Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron McStay Bailey
Foll: Martin McCluggage Beams
Bench: Hodge, Robinson, Cox, McInerney/Walker

Looking at the team we really need some of our 3rd-4th year midfielders to step up or we have to bring in depth. I'm not too optimistic about much improvement from Keays though so hopefully Lyons or Matho can break through.

The two bolded spots are the ones I'm unsure about - not sure we should go in so tall again next year and I'd rather just play Gardiner as a tall against most teams. Cox I have hopes for because he has something different but we need him to improve a lot and become a regular senior player.

Also this really highlights our lack of elite back pockets and a need for another crumbing forward - I put Bailey there but I would expect him to play up the ground. Taylor as to improve his defensive work by a billion percent to play that role and might be on borrowed time if he can't do that or play more midfield next year.

Bundy was a revelation down back in the last game and a half. Gave us some much needed run. My only worry is how accountable he is?

But I like a back line that has it's core as Gardiner - Andrews - Witherden - Christensen.

He looked pretty good defensively but when he attacks the footy and wins it then it doesn't matter what his opponent is doing.

He looked pretty good defensively but when he attacks the footy and wins it then it doesn't matter what his opponent is doing.

I think with Nich Robbo and Dizzy in the backline who are primarily negating players we need Bundy's line breaking ability with the ball. We have looked very very slow there all year.

I think with Nich Robbo and Dizzy in the backline who are primarily negating players we need Bundy's line breaking ability with the ball. We have looked very very slow there all year.

He looked great. Makes things harder for Mayes to come back in. Really needs to play wing or half forward.

To be fair to Dizzy, he has added an offensive string to his bow this year. He pushes to the wing and provides a bit of run at times and has tidied up his disposal a lot with a disposal efficiency of 86%. Developing into a very good player.

To be fair to Dizzy, he has added an offensive string to his bow this year. He pushes to the wing and provides a bit of run at times and has tidied up his disposal a lot with a disposal efficiency of 86%. Developing into a very good player.

Absolutely, particularly the last 5-6 weeks before he got injured. Having said that, I think he will primarily be a shut down player and won't be an out and out rebounding defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back