Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Round one we'll likely need 3 KPD, I'd run with:

Hodge - Walker - Andrews
Witherden - Adams - Rich

Round two if we wanted to go smaller, I'd look at giving Cox a run in place of Walker.
Regarding round 1 vs Eagles, who will take care of Eagles small forwards? I don't see Rich, Witherden, Hodge to keep up with Rioli, Ryan. You may want to include Bailey/Cox.

Regarding round 1 vs Eagles, who will take care of Eagles small forwards? I don't see Rich, Witherden, Hodge to keep up with Rioli, Ryan. You may want to include Bailey/Cox.

Robertson and maybe Bailey

Christensen and Bailey are in my 22 are both training in defense so would no doubt rotate in.

Unless Cutler is having an absolute stinker of a pre-season I will be stunned if he isn't a round 1 starter. Especially with all the talk about how we need to continue developing/acquiring run and carry players - he was by far our best at that last year and is an excellent kick inside 50 too.

I am a bit of a Cutler fan. He is 24 in Feb and starting in his 6th season of AFL. Some players just get better the first few years and then take off.
Cutler's average per/game disposal numbers compared to Ablett & Dangerfield starting with their 1st year in AFL
Cutler 12,16,19,19,20,??,??.
Ablett Jnr 8,15,14,19,27,28,35.
Dangerfield 6,13,16,17,27,23,25.

These are only disposal numbers(from footy wire) but it is a reasonable guide.
Yes i am just dreaming that he might turn into one of them. But each year we see a number of breakout players in the AFL and it's time for a few from the Lion's list to do just that.

Haven't had a go at this for a couple of months, updated from viewing training and THE vibe.

Alex Witherden, Marcus Adams, Luke Hodge.
Zac Bailey, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry.
Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage, Tom Cutler.

Cameron Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lewy Taylor.
Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron.

Allen Christensen, Daniel Rich, Jarryd Lyons, Nick Robertson.

Even though I'm a fan of the Big O and think he will be selected for round 1 IMO we have a better mix with another small/midfielder than another tall.

Would be great to see these guys putting pressure on the incumbents for spots-

Cedric Cox > Daniel Rich.
Rhys Matheison/Brandon Starcevich/Ely Smith > Jarryd Lyons.
Jacob Allison > Nick Robertson.
Oscar McInerney > Stef Martin.

Haven't had a go at this for a couple of months, updated from viewing training and THE vibe.

Zac Bailey, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry.
Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage, Tom Cutler.

Cameron Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lewy Taylor.
Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron.

Allen Christensen, Daniel Rich, Jarryd Lyons, Nick Robertson.

Even though I'm a fan of the Big O and think he will be selected for round 1 IMO we have a better mix with another small/midfielder than another tall.

Would be great to see these guys putting pressure on the incumbents for spots-

Cedric Cox > Daniel Rich.
Rhys Matheison/Brandon Starcevich/Ely Smith > Jarryd Lyons.
Jacob Allison > Nick Robertson.
Oscar McInerney > Stef Martin.

Would you be up for playing Daniel rich on the wing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have Walker in front of Adams, particularly given how restricted Adams has been with his pre-season, whilst Walker hasn't missed a beat.

Adams has a lot of catching up to do fitness and then form wise before he'll dislodge Walker IMO.

Round 1 Walker or Adams will probably be on the resting ruck. Adams gives more flexibility though as he can cover on the smalls if there isn't a key tall to play on.

I think most weeks we can only play one key back who can't play on smalls and that's Harris Andrews.

After a few months off not paying much attention here is where I'm at for a general best 22 (rather than a specific one for Rd1):

B: Witherden, Andrews, (Fittest out of Gardiner/Adams/Skinner)
HB: Christensen, Hodge, Rich
C: Taylor, J.Berry, McCluggage
HF: Robinson, McStay, Zorko
F: Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner
Foll: Martin, Neale, J.Lyons
I/C: McInerney, Bailey, Cutler, Robertson

Walker, Lester, McCarthy, Mathieson, Cox all easily capable of sneaking into the Best 22 on merit. Most of the starting 18 is mostly settled – it is the players currently on the interchange probably in the most danger of missing Round 1 if the form of others is too good.

Then there is the youth that is yet to breakout. Hard to tell who will do what. But we got a solid group of 30 listed above – so anything the Smiths, etc can do is a bonus.

Looking like our strongest side for about a decade.

This is how I see our best team.

Some rationale I have used:
- when all players are fit.
- 3 tall defenders
- 3 tall forwards
- I really rate Payne. Did not see much of him last year with injury, but very impressed with his U18 year and time in the Neafl that year. Is a man mountain with athletics background. Clean hands and good user by foot. Clubs very much looking for a gorilla fullback.
- Cox: third year in the Afl, time to let him shine. Extremely gifted player with pace. Exactly what we need off half back.
- too much asked of McStay and Hipwood past couple of years, Adams will provide much needed support.
- I hope to see Ely Smith, Starcevich and McFadyen push for selection.

B:Witherden, Payne, Gardiner
HB: Cox, Andrews, Rich
C: Taylor, J.Berry, McCluggage
HF: McStay, Hipwood, Zorko
F: Cameron, Adams, Rayner
Foll: Martin, Neale, Robinson
I/C: Bailey, Cutler, Robertson, Hodge
Em: Christensen, J.Lyons, McCarthy

Reserves
B: Lester, Walker, Answerth
HB: Christensen, Skinner, T.Berry
C: Keays, E.Smith, Joyce
HF: McCarthy, Ballenden, Starcevich
F: McInerney, Wooller, McFadyen
Foll: A.Smith, Mathieson, J.Lyons
I/C: C.Lyons,

Em:

I'll have a go.
Witho Andrews Hodge
Gardiner Adams Cox

Cutler. Neale. Hugh
Martin Berry Zorko

Taylor. Hipwood. Cameron.
Mccarthy big O, Rayner

Int: Lyons, Mitch R, Christensen, Bailey

No Rich or mcstay for me. I have my reasons but won't state as I don't like being negative on our players.

Cox to provide speed out of backline and have leg speed for the quick small forwards. Tell him his spot secured up until bye so he feels settled in and can have confidence to express himself.

Big O to play mason cox role up forward as well as relief ruck.

Bailey in my best 22 because I think he is going to be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Richy wouldn't have the endurance to play on the wing, never been a strong point of his.

Perhaps. I still think he will play largely in the back half. I think it's worth considering that the traditional positions are not as set in stone as they might have been. It is quite likely that we go into each game with a plan to rotate up to six smaller players through the back half during a game. At various stages at least one of the 'wing' positions is in reality playing as a 7th defender.
With that in mind there is room in the 22 to play all of Hodge, Robertson, Rich, Witherden, Bailey and Christensen.

I'll have a go.
Witho Andrews Hodge
Gardiner Adams Cox

Cutler. Neale. Hugh
Martin Berry Zorko

Taylor. Hipwood. Cameron.
Mccarthy big O, Rayner

Int: Lyons, Mitch R, Christensen, Bailey

No Rich or mcstay for me. I have my reasons but won't state as I don't like being negative on our players.

Cox to provide speed out of backline and have leg speed for the quick small forwards. Tell him his spot secured up until bye so he feels settled in and can have confidence to express himself.

Big O to play mason cox role up forward as well as relief ruck.

Bailey in my best 22 because I think he is going to be a gun.
You can't give a guy an iron glad guarantee he will be picked for 12 games, I'm pretty sure even guys like Zorko or Neale don't have a guaranteed spot. If he plays well enough he will get picked and there needs to be pressure on positions so that everyone works hard to improve.

I'll back in Fagan to give Cox the confidence to play his natural game while fitting in with the gameplan and team structure.

Not sure I'd back Robertson from an agility or speed perspective against either of them.

Really? Bailey is lightning but I'd put NRobbo as our next quickest defender. Similar to Cox without the lapses in concentration.

Best 22 round 1 from Suns supporter if you don't mind :)

B: Witherden, Andrews, Rich
HB: Christensen, Adams, Bailey
C: Cutler, J. Berry, McCluggage
HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Zorko
F: Cameron, McInerney, Rayner
Foll: Martin, Neale, Lyons
I/C: Robinson, Robertson, Taylor, McStay

I think you need some quick guys in defence to counter Eagles small forwards.
I would not play Hodge as Lions young players would by now learned all his tricks. He may be even slower than last year - quite a liability.
Adams is my choice if Gardener is not ready. If Adams is not ready then Payne.
I think you got to play Lyons, perfect fit for Lions in the middle. He complements you midfield players nicely.

Good luck against Eagles. I think you can get them.

Best 22 round 1 from Suns supporter if you don't mind :)

B: Witherden, Andrews, Rich
HB: Christensen, Adams, Bailey
C: Cutler, J. Berry, McCluggage
HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Zorko
F: Cameron, McInerney, Rayner
Foll: Martin, Neale, Lyons
I/C: Robinson, Robertson, Taylor, McStay

I think you need some quick guys in defence to counter Eagles small forwards.
I would not play Hodge as Lions young players would by now learned all his tricks. He may be even slower than last year - quite a liability.
Adams is my choice if Gardener is not ready. If Adams is not ready then Payne.
I think you got to play Lyons, perfect fit for Lions in the middle. He complements you midfield players nicely.

Good luck against Eagles. I think you can get them.
Pretty good best 22. Wouldn't realy change anything, however l would have Hodgy in my side. Our team is still very very young and needs leadership. We got Hodgy more for his direction on field than his playing ability. I would probably take 1 out of Robinson/Robertson/Taylor for him.

We are definitly playing Lyons, unless something happens during pre-season, will be huge for us imo.

Since you are here, do you think Rankine will debut Round 1 and the other 2 draftees have an early debut as well sometime. (I know the coach said he wouldn't do it if they didn't deserve it, however...)

Pretty good best 22. Wouldn't realy change anything, however l would have Hodgy in my side. Our team is still very very young and needs leadership. We got Hodgy more for his direction on field than his playing ability. I would probably take 1 out of Robinson/Robertson/Taylor for him.

We are definitly playing Lyons, unless something happens during pre-season, will be huge for us imo.

Since you are here, do you think Rankine will debut Round 1 and the other 2 draftees have an early debut as well sometime. (I know the coach said he wouldn't do it if they didn't deserve it, however...)
Agree, Hodge will start round 1.

Rankine looks ready - pretty confident he will play round 1. I also expect Lukosius to start on flank round 1. I was sceptical about King as he was only 84 kg coming in but hearing good news about him so he may play some games in 2019. It would not surprise me if McLennan played some games too - body is ready.

Really? Bailey is lightning but I'd put NRobbo as our next quickest defender. Similar to Cox without the lapses in concentration.
Yeah I just don’t see that quickness, I reckon he’d be lucky to be in the top 10 quickest players in the list. He’s slow to react and I struggle to remember a time he ran down or ran away from an opposition player.

My prediction for round 1 based on training reports, injuries etc.

Hodge Adams Rich
Witherden Andrews Christensen

Martin Zorko Neale
Cutler Berry McCluggage

Taylor Hipwood Cameron
Robinson McStay Rayner

Bailey Lyons McInerney Lester

Diz to play if he's fit. Cox, McCarthy and Robertson in the frame as well.

I don’t see why so many are naming Adams in their round one side(s) based off “training reports” and the like when he has only been on modified duties all pre season.:huh:

He is one of the least likely to be named out of our whole squad IMO.

Yeah I just don’t see that quickness, I reckon he’d be lucky to be in the top 10 quickest players in the list. He’s slow to react and I struggle to remember a time he ran down or ran away from an opposition player.

Yeah he's not perfect but he's the best we've got

Players quicker than NRobbo

Bailey - has barely played defence
Madden - hasn't play Aussie rules before
Cameron - not a defender
Zorko - not a defender
Cutler - better on the wing
Allison - better on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back