Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutler has had a bit of FIGJAM (maybe not entirely accurate, but in the ballpark) about him since day 1. There is no doubting his talents, but there has always been this thing of him believing he is good enough, and the general thought being he has a major weakness in his game that he needed to fix. Not meant to be a knock against him either, because he does have the talent. But there is only so much weakness you can look over. Our club seems to be very player driven at the moment, and when you see players like Matho and Basti in round 1, who have both had knocks in the past i think you can't help but feel it is up to Cutler to make it happen. There is literally 2 great examples of blokes who couldn't be regular best 22 who made it happen over a preseason, and did it with a very healthy list to pick from as well.

Cuts is an absolute weapon, and a great size for that wing/outside mid type role. Hope he can have a really solid year and work his way back in. He usually gets an opportunity at some stage, but it is interesting that he seems to reset every offseason.

I love Cutler's ball use, penetrating boot, his speed, his height etc. However I dont think he has a very defensive mindset. He doesnt two way run as hard as others. He did start to tackle and defend more last year. I hope he gets over his niggles and works more on his efforts during defense. He'd be perfect in a team like Hawks or Melb as a pure outside winger (and let the heavy hitters on the inside lay tackles); however even great wingmen like Isaac Smith can lay a decent tackle and defend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back