Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Mayes is not even in the discussion for back line positions. I would try to trade him for a 3rd round or 4th pick. He has very little value in the market.

I think with his little trade value we’d be better off keeping him. Give him a season on the wing in the reserves and if he still hasn’t cement a place in the 22 then we haven’t lost much.

I think with his little trade value we’d be better off keeping him. Give him a season on the wing in the reserves and if he still hasn’t cement a place in the 22 then we haven’t lost much.

Too many players have gone past him. A pick for him might help with academy points - it may even net us a player who had slid down the draft order. I just can't see where Mayes fits in anymore? He skills haven't improved and he should be dominating NEAFL.

Maybe Port Adel would be interested now that Polec seems to want out? Won't cost Port much and they will back themselves in to turn his career around?

In for this year I have only gone Wallis & Max King.

FB: Gardiner Andrews Hodge
HB: Rich Walker Witherden
C: Cutler Beams McCluggage
HF: Christensen Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron M. King McStay
Foll: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Robertson, Robinson, Wallis, Bailey

Too many players have gone past him. A pick for him might help with academy points - it may even net us a player who had slid down the draft order. I just can't see where Mayes fits in anymore? He skills haven't improved and he should be dominating NEAFL.

Maybe Port Adel would be interested now that Polec seems to want out? Won't cost Port much and they will back themselves in to turn his career around?
Vossy was a big fan, he might back himself to turn him around!

To be fair to Dizzy, he has added an offensive string to his bow this year. He pushes to the wing and provides a bit of run at times and has tidied up his disposal a lot with a disposal efficiency of 86%. Developing into a very good player.
He really stepped up when Harris Andrews got hurt. To me, that sparked a change in him. Maybe the extra responsibility

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

I like Bundy on Half back.. We have Rich/Witho there to kick the ball out of the backline. Although no one to run the ball out.
Both Richo/Witho improved their defensive body on body with forwards. Although Bundy a lot stronger there.
I move either Richo/Witho onto a wing and put Bundy half back.

I like Bundy on Half back.. We have Rich/Witho there to kick the ball out of the backline. Although no one to run the ball out.
Both Richo/Witho improved their defensive body on body with forwards. Although Bundy a lot stronger there.
I move either Richo/Witho onto a wing and put Bundy half back.
Fagan actually said we needed more runners out of the backline. That we tended to kick the ball out but we also needed to get more run there

Overly optimistic prediction of what we could have if all the trades/FA moves come together:

FB: Bundy Gardiner Robertson
HB: Rich Andrews Witherden
C: Cutler Berry McCluggage
HF: Zorko Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron McStay Taylor
Foll: Martin Beams Neale
Bench: Hodge, Bailey, Wallis, McInerney/Walker/M Robbo

Mitch Robbo in if we want to go short, out if we need additional talls.

Neale and Wallis would be massive - can keep Hugh as the narrow wingman and not force him into the midfield, and others like lewy, bailey, mitch robbo and matho will be in a real battle for a spot in the team.

FB: Gardiner, Walker, Witherden
HB: Robertson Andrews Christensen

Foll: Martin Neale Beams Berry
Wingmen: Cutler and McCluggage

HF: Raynor Hipwood Zorko
FF: McStay McInerney Cameron

Interchange: Wallis, Rich, Baily, Hodge.

Holy s**t that is a good starting 22.

Solid depth with Starcevic, Mathieson, Skinner, Ballenden, Robinson, Wooller, Payne, Eagles, Cox and Allison.

Beautifully Balanced forward and backline.

A grade talent on every line.

Star studded midfield with Zorko and Rayner also rotating through... with Baily Wallis and Rich off the bench.

I found myself thinking.... why the f*** not finals in 2019 if we keep fit like this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid depth with Starcevic, Mathieson, Skinner, Ballenden, Robinson, Wooller, Payne, Eagles, Cox and Allison.

Star studded midfield with Zorko and Rayner also rotating through... with Baily Wallis and Rich off the bench.

I found myself thinking.... why the f*** not finals in 2019 if we keep fit like this year.
Love it!! I would love to see Mitch Robbo used as a defensive forward. He has had games in the past where he has kicked a few goals. Can take a strong grab. Imagine the forward half pressure if we get him and Cameron up there. I can see Taylors position being a little under fire next year if we trade in a couple of the players listed. Zorko moving to the half forward line would nearly be pinching Lewys spot.

There's a bolter every year, my pick for 2019 is Skinner or Allison. We are past the point of being gifted games though, will have to earn their spot.

Allison will be one of our best players in 2 years. Bookmark it

I don't think Oscar will be best 22. We had him because we weren't going for finals and we needed to pump games into him. Added to that, the ball came back out very quickly, especially with 3 talls. Trade him our and put another small/medium forward in there l reckon, maybe Robinson as a defensive forward

Pretty sure Bailey will occupy a HBF after the last couple of games.......coaches excited.

Half back? If he got 2 goals and 20 odd disposals, l think they might prefer him as a half forward and give Christensen that HBF

He's the type of player who could play forward, back and middle. Very versatile.

He's the type of player who could play forward, back and middle. Very versatile.
I completly get that and agree. However, how rare is it to find a goal kicking midfielder rather than a running half back? I know which i would prefer, especially when it looks like Christensen can do it down back.

I completly get that and agree. However, how rare is it to find a goal kicking midfielder rather than a running half back? I know which i would prefer, especially when it looks like Christensen can do it down back.

I agree, but the point is more he can be best 22 in a number of positions which is a big positive for him and his prospects moving forward.

I don't think Oscar will be best 22. We had him because we weren't going for finals and we needed to pump games into him. Added to that, the ball came back out very quickly, especially with 3 talls. Trade him our and put another small/medium forward in there l reckon, maybe Robinson as a defensive forward
I think you forget how hard it was for Hipwood before Oscar came in.

He adds a lot structurally to our forward line. Not to mention this was his first bunch of AFL games... give him more time to learn how to capitalise on his height better.

He has a strong pair of hands and is our next number 1 ruckman.

I think you'll find he's in our 22 for quite a while.

Fages has commented previously how impressed he is with Oscar and particularly his ceiling being high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back