Prediction 2019 Starting 22

BrizzyBandit

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So a mid 2018 prediction of our starting 22 for 2019.

FB: Whitherden Andrews Gardiner
HB: Allison Eagles Cutler

Mid: Zorko McClugg. Rayner
Fol: Martin Berry DBeams

HF: Cameron Hipwood Robinson
FF: McStay Walker Christensen

Interchange: Rich, Taylor, Bailey, Cox.

Getting a good number of games: Hodge, Robertson, Mayes, McInerney

Hopefully making the step up: Skinner Mathieson, Starsevich, Paparone.

Not much hope for the rest for 2019.

We need a stronger forward line and midfield depth.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also hoping Ballenden and Payne make the step up

And if we get Wallis shift Beams or Zorko to the forward line?

May 3, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Team Mystic
FB: Witherden Andrews Gardiner
HB: Rich Skinner Robertson

Mid: Christensen Zorko McLuggage
Fol: Martin Berry Beams

HF: Cameron Hipwood Rayner
FF: McInerney McStay Taylor

Int: Mathieson Bailey Robinson Cutler/Mayes

That is what I imagine (maybe hope) our 22 looks like next year, not sure if Hodge plays on or if we get Wallis (if so probably takes the Cutler/Mayes spot)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FB: Witherden Andrews Robertson
HB: Rich Gardiner Cox
C: Taylor Berry McCluggage
HF: Beams Hipwood Christensen
FF: Cameron McStay Rayner
Foll: Martin Zorko Robinson
Bench: Cutler, Bailey, McInerney/Skinner, Hodge/Mayes

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witho Andrews Gardiner
Rich hodge eagles

Hugh Zorko cutler
Martin Berry Rayner

Cameron beams hipwood
Mcstay Bailey Christensen

Int: Mitch, pick 2, Payne, Taylor or pick 19

Leadership Logic: hodge and Andrews lead backline. Zorko captain and leads midfield. Beams leads forward line.

Papa Caz

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
Also hoping Ballenden and Payne make the step up

And if we get Wallis shift Beams or Zorko to the forward line?
Honestly beams would be a good marking option up fwd is getting a bit older but can kick a long ball and would be a great leader up fwd, zorkos at his peak put him in the mid for the next few years he will be All Australian multiple times.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Darcy Gardner, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden.
Cedric Cox, Sam Skinner, Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko.
Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Mitch Robinson.

Cameron Rayner, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen.
Sam Mayes, Eric Hipwood, Lewis Taylor.

Nick Robertson, Zac Bailey, Tom Cutler, + Walsh, Smith or Lukosius.

Luke Hodge to step back and play 12-15 games when the inevitable injuries/omissions occur.

I'm very bullish on Toby Wooller, Jacob Allison, (and Thomas Berry:)) I think they can put pressure on the likes of Mayes, Robertson, Cox, Bailey and Rich to hold their spot.

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodge Andrews witherden
Rich Gardiner Robertson
Cutler Wallis (fa) Mccluggage
Taylor mcStay Cameron
D Beams Hipwood Cristensen
Martin J Berry Zorko

Int - Rayner Mayes Walsh (pick 2) Robinson

Emerg- McInerney Cox Allison Bailey

Reckon we have to invest in & play the first draftee we take for at least half a season.
Only spot I'm not sold on is McStay at CHF could easily be Walker, skinner, ballenden - just hope someone anyone steps up & does a good job there.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Darcy Gardner, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden.
Cedric Cox, Sam Skinner, Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko.
Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Mitch Robinson.

Cameron Rayner, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen.
Sam Mayes, Eric Hipwood, Lewis Taylor.

Nick Robertson, Zac Bailey, Tom Cutler, + Walsh, Smith or Lukosius.

Luke Hodge to step back and play 12-15 games when the inevitable injuries/omissions occur.

I'm very bullish on Toby Wooller, Jacob Allison, (and Thomas Berry:)) I think they can put pressure on the likes of Mayes, Robertson, Cox, Bailey and Rich to hold their spot.
Like a lot of this but Bailey is going to be a star.

Hodge Gardiner Robertson
Witherden Andrews Allison
McCluggage Robinson Rich
Zorko Hipwood Rayner
Cameron McStay Taylor
McInerney Berry Bailey

Int: Christensen Lukosios Skinner Cutler
Emerg: Mayes Cox T.Berry

Beama out (I think we'll lose one older best 22 this year. Might be Beama, or Rich, or someone similar. And if not, I'll call Beama injured instead)
Martin out (I like Martin as a person and a player... But he's the wrong profile for the list and can be traded out)
I have us taking Lukosios at pick 1, and Berry at 19 (actually mid-20s). I don't have us picking up Mitch Wallis or any other free agents/trades, because we aren't a realistic destination. Wallis is a maybe because he'd be better starting fresh - I just don't see him wanting to come to Brisbane.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cox vs Allison is interesting as they seem the most likely on our list to break into the best 22. I think Allison is more raw at this stage.

I'd have Cox as the better Backman and Allison as the better wingman.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully someone like Cox can cement his spot next year whilst the likes of Allison, Skinner, Lyons, Hinge, Starcevich and Wooller can start to push for senior game’s consistently.
Cox and Allison need to cement a spot next year IMO especially with another pre-season under the belts. However the remainder on that list I'll just be happy to see them get senior games.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cox and Allison need to cement a spot next year IMO especially with another pre-season under the belts. However the remainder on that list I'll just be happy to see them get senior games.

I think Allison will take a while. Similar to Cutler. Possibly even longer.

I think Allison will take a while. Similar to Cutler. Possibly even longer.

Allisons definitely the type to take longer than others due to his size etc, but think he's showing a lot in the NEAFL and think this time next year both he and Cox will be best 22 or close to it.

A small forward group for 2019 of Cameron, Bailey and Cox would mean serious pace.

Pie in the sky stuff at this stage - doubt Cox would ever be played forward. The closest he'd get is a wingman like Brad Hill.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pie in the sky stuff at this stage - doubt Cox would ever be played forward. The closest he'd get is a wingman like Brad Hill.
Probably right but it would be nice to have a dan Rioli type to partner Cameron. I'm just throwing the dice as it seems Cox is languishing down in neafl team a bit. I mean he played well on Saturday but couldn't even make the extended bench of 1sts this week. Maybe try him as pressure forward for a half in neafl team?

Probably right but it would be nice to have a dan Rioli type to partner Cameron. I'm just throwing the dice as it seems Cox is languishing down in neafl team a bit. I mean he played well on Saturday but couldn't even make the extended bench of 1sts this week. Maybe try him as pressure forward for a half in neafl team?

Don't think pressure forward is really his go. His brother, sure, but I think Cedric projects more into a wing type. Would expect him to get a callup soon if he sustains his form.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Comparing the side we had in last night and looking to next year it's mouth watering thinking of the prospect of getting Harris Andrews, Charlie Cameron and Sam Walsh/Bailey Smith into our side.

Those 3 ins next season will be putting pressure on the likes of Ryan Lester, Jake Barrett, Rhys Matheison, Cedric Cox and Josh Walker to hold their spots. We are starting to get some good depth into our squad. He is not there yet but I would love Cedric Cox to break out and be a permanent first 22 player next year, he brings a lot of what we need when on. Josh Walker will be extremely hard to leave out of the side if he continues this form up as well

Note- I'm expecting Luke Hodge to play less games next season 12-15 as we will be wanting to transition him out of the side and stand on our own 2 feet for our 2020 top 4 tilt.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Josh Walker will be extremely hard to leave out of the side if he continues this form up as well
Completely agree, but can all of Andrews, Walker, Gardner, Hodge play at the same time?

Walker on #1 key forward, Gardner on #2 key/medium forward, Andrews and Hodge take the next best but have full licence to intercept at will?

FB : Robertson Walker Gardner
HB : Hodge Andrews Witherden

ManeMan

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
Ideally for 2019 I'd like to see a run and carry player with pace in there somewhere, hopefully one of Cedric Cox or Jacob Allison can step up and fill that role.

Agreed Jason. I'd like to see someone with a little pace in there, whoever that may be.

Has there been any update on that Irish fella we were trying to recruit? Apparently there were were a few teams after him, but we were the front runners? His test times in the 20m sprint and agility tests broke the combine records from memory.

Back