Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the the real takeaways for what our best 22 no longer consists of spots for new draftees. This is a good thing for a number of reasons; our depth as others have noted is improving and aso that we can now allow the new draftees to develop in the twos (Paul Roos will be happy with this ;)).

One of the the real takeaways for what our best 22 no longer consists of spots for new draftees. This is a good thing for a number of reasons; our depth as others have noted is improving and aso that we can now allow the new draftees to develop in the twos (Paul Roos will be happy with this ;)).
On the other hand, if they're good enough there is nothing wrong with them developing in the seniors with the odd rest here and there.

We don’t have a top 5 pick this year either so the expectation of the first draft pick is not what it has been of recent times. Top five pick and I think you’d find most people finding a spot for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dan McStay has beautiful eyes. Those that have looked into them will know this is not to be underrated. He's going to make it happen in 2019.
If anyone is to have a break out it's got to be him. Watched the last 2 mins of the north game a few years back when brown retired and he stood on the line when he kicked the ball in. Look at him now compared to then he is a beast.

Getting bloody excited about next year, so thought I'd have a crack at our 2019 starting line-up.

B: Hodge, Adams, Gardiner
HB: Witho, Andrews, Bailey
C: Clug, Neale, Cutler
HF: Rayner, McStay, Christenson
F: Cameron, Hipwood, Taylor
R: Martin, Zorko, Berry
B: Rich, N. Robbo, Big O, J.Lyons,

I'm pretty keen for Bailey to be tested as a running half back. I really think we need some explosive speed down there and he could be our man. Also hoping that things will finally click for Cutler and he can take his game to another level. Starc and Matho will be competing with J.Lyons for the final spot on the bench IMO. Obviously a make or break season for Keays. McCarthy close to making the cut as well. Sad that I couldn't fit in one of my favourites in Mitch Robbo. He was tough to leave out, as he brings a real competitive edge to the team.

NEAFL
B: Eagles, Payne, Lester
HB: Hinge, Walker, Cox
C: T.Berry, Matho, E.Smith
HF: McFayden, Ballenden, McCarthy
F: M.Robbo, Skinner, Wooler
R: Smith, Starc, C.Lyons
B: Keays, Basti, Allison, Answerth

Looks like we have some handy depth in all areas of the ground. Will be interesting to see how our younger brigade of talls develop, with the likes of Payne, Skinner, Ballenden and Wooler in that category. All in all, a very exciting crop of players and it will be a joy to watch these guys develop alongside each other in the next few years. 2021-2023 Premiers here we come! ;)

With a decent pre-season I think Berry will debut early next season

I kinda agree, his skills are elite like he tested in his draft year, when he has the ball around the ground he uses it well. I just don't think he is using his size yet to hit packs, he still competes a bit like a skinny kid. He certainly would be tossed around helping out in the ruck if that's what he does. A big preseason and some bulk and a bit of mongrel and he will be fine. I think Skinner is the one if he stays fit, that boys does seem to love the contact. My smokey is Fullerton for very late in the season, although I've only seem glimpses of him live I like the way he uses his body which I guess you would expect of a basketball. We are pretty lucky we have some good big kids and can wait on them to fully develop now. McStay is the one with the least solid position of the bigger boys so if he doesn't start well that were the opportunity will come.

The big question is can mongeral be taught? There are plenty of players with silky skills who never make anywhere near where you'd expect cause they don't relish the brutal physicality of the game. My opinion is that mongrel is innate and can't be developed in players who have never had it, but it can be flamed in those that have some desire for hard contests. At draft age some kids have looked like contested beasts because they haven't had problems competing with smaller players but lose their nerve against full bodied men.

And then there are the browns and robinsons that sometimes forget the purpose of the game is the ball. We all love them when they are in our team. I reckon/hope'Ely might just fit in this group.

Tom
Getting bloody excited about next year, so thought I'd have a crack at our 2019 starting line-up.

I'm pretty keen for Bailey to be tested as a running half back. I really think we need some explosive speed down there and he could be our man. Also hoping that things will finally click for Cutler and he can take his game to another level. Starc and Matho will be competing with J.Lyons for the final spot on the bench IMO. Obviously a make or break season for Keays. McCarthy close to making the cut as well. Sad that I couldn't fit in one of my favourites in Mitch Robbo. He was tough to leave out, as he brings a real competitive edge to the team.

NEAFL

Looks like we have some handy depth in all areas of the ground. Will be interesting to see how our younger brigade of talls develop, with the likes of Payne, Skinner, Ballenden and Wooler in that category. All in all, a very exciting crop of players and it will be a joy to watch these guys develop alongside each other in the next few years. 2021-2023 Premiers here we come! ;)

Tom Joyce not in either of those 22?.....gee that will certainly change......I guess folk had heard little of Simon Black when he first started at Brisbane many moons ago.

FB: Adams, Andrews, Robertson
HB: Gardiner, Witherden, Rich
C: McCluggage, Neale, Cutler
HF: Cameron, Rayner, Zorko
FF: McStay, McInerney, Hipwood
Foll: Martin, Berry, Lyons
INT: Christensen + 3 of:
Walker, Robinson, Taylor, Hodge, Bailey, McCarthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don't see any of our new draft picks in the first half of the season unless we have significant injuries. We've got plenty of young players who should be either cementing their spot in the side or trying to overtake someone that is on the fringe.

NEAFL

That's a very solid NEAFL team. Lock in the 2019 NEAFL premiership :D

Tom

Tom Joyce not in either of those 22?.....gee that will certainly change......I guess folk had heard little of Simon Black when he first started at Brisbane many moons ago.
I'm sure he will. I know he has had his injury troubles, so hopefully he can focus on getting his body 100%. Madden the other unlucky player. Hopefully these guys can surpass the likes of Basti. If Joyce turns out half as good as Blacky, I would be over the moon.

FB: Adams, Andrews, Robertson
HB: Gardiner, Witherden, Rich
HF: Cameron, Rayner, Zorko
FF: McStay, McInerney, Hipwood
Foll: Martin, Berry, Lyons
INT: Christensen + 3 of:
Walker, Robinson, Taylor, Hodge, Bailey, McCarthy.

Who misses out Dan? Have to make the tough call!

I hope we don't see any of our new draft picks in the first half of the season unless we have significant injuries. We've got plenty of young players who should be either cementing their spot in the side or trying to overtake someone that is on the fringe.
Agree mate, but it won't be a bad thing if they are banging down the door at the selection table due to great form in the NEAFL.

HB: Witho, Andrews, Rich
HF: Rayner, Hipwood, Taylor
F: Cameron, Big O, McStay
B: M. Robinson, N. Robbo, Christensen, J.Lyons,

Next In- Cox (Run & Carry), Matho (Inside Ball Winner), Bailey (Speed), McCarthy (Small Forward Pressure)

Round 23 v Eagles 2018.

B Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Nick Robertson
HB Daniel Rich, Daniel McStay, Tom Cutler
C Lewis Taylor, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko
HF Cameron Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage
F Allen Christensen, Oscar McInerney, Brandon Starcevich
FOL Stefan Martin, Jarrod Berry, Dayne Beams
I/C Josh Walker, Zac Bailey, Ryan Lester, Rhys Mathieson

For round 1 v Eagles 2019.

Ins- Lachie Neale, Charlie Cameron, Jarryd Lyons, Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Alex Witherden.

Outs- Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Lester, Josh Walker, Dayne Beams, Brandon Starcevich, Mitch Robinson.

Strengthens the side quite a bit IMO, extremely difficult to select the 6th out, went for Mitch Robbo over Bailey, Christensen or McInerney.

Certainly not my best 22 as per the article link below.
BEST 22

B: L. Hodge, H. Andrews, D. Gardiner

HB: D. Rich, J. Walker, A. Witherden

C: J. Berry, D. Zorko, H. McCluggage

HF: C. Rayner, E. Hipwood, T. Cutler

F: C. Cameron, D. McStay, L. McCarthy

FOL: S. Martin, L. Neale, J. Lyons

I/C: R. Mathieson, L. Taylor, M. Robinson, A. Christensen

EMG: Z. Bailey, M. Adams, N. Robertson,

OTHERS: A. Smith, B. Starcevich, B. Keays, C. Cox, C. Ballenden, C. McFadyen, C. Lyons, J. Payne, E. Smith, N. Answerth, R. Lester, S. Skinner, T. Berry, T Wooller, T. Joyce

ROOKIES: R. Bastinac, J. Allison, M. Hinge, M. Eagles, J. Madden, O. McInerney, T. Fullarton
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...e/news-story/bdf7778d4993fa5320a79827c642acc8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back