Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay's biggest problem (other than his goalkicking) is he doesn't offer much around the ground.

He has all the tools to be a solid lead up CHF/flanker yet continually looks for the "easy" option of having the ball kicked over the back to him and/or attempt a speccie on someone's shoulders.

Now whether that's laziness or just not being a natural forward, until this part of his game improves I only ever see him as that flashy, inconsistent type forward.

Edit. But like others have said he's not alone in terms of having things to improve on if we want to start climbing that ladder.
This doesn’t gel at all with my impression from McStay this past season. I distinctly remember him leading up the ground on many occasions and offering a target for our mids transitioning out of defence. Far more often than Hipwood.

Quoting one word of a sentence doesn't really paint the full picture mate. If you were to ask Fagan, Noble etc if they see McStay as best 22 they would laugh and say of course.

Does he have areas to improve? Yes, like practically in our best 22.

As you mentioned, his kicking and impacting contests were not up to standard for a part. He was dropped, trained with a kicking coach and returned a much better overall prospect. All of his stats improved. His defensive work was much better. His constested marking improved. He averaged 1.5 goals a game which was a scratch under Hipwood which for a second forward you'd certainly take.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you'll find the club rates Dan highly and will be pushing to re-sign him ASAP because we see him as a best 22 KPF for years to come.

Good to hear that Fages and Nobes consult you on team selections!

This is my take... McStay was best 22 last year but the club are getting pissed off with him so are looking at options.
Adams was brought in to compete with Walker and McStay.
Cam Rayner just does not have the tank for midfield but is an excellent burst player and a good mark.
He is also in line for McStay's spot, leaving an extra spot for one of our new mids to play a HF mid role (or maybe free up one of our current mids for that instead).
Over the preseason these issues will be sorted out. By our last final preseason game we will have a pretty good idea who will be first 22 at round 1. At this stage my thinking is there is no best 22 until the coaches can have a look at everyone.
I actually reckon Cam Rayner is best option here and my prediction is McStay will not play round 1.
But no, I do not have a batphone to Fagnob so cannot say if they would laugh at my suggestion.

Good to hear that Fages and Nobes consult you on team selections!

This is my take... McStay was best 22 last year but the club are getting pissed off with him so are looking at options.
Adams was brought in to compete with Walker and McStay.
Cam Rayner just does not have the tank for midfield but is an excellent burst player and a good mark.
He is also in line for McStay's spot, leaving an extra spot for one of our new mids to play a HF mid role (or maybe free up one of our current mids for that instead).
Over the preseason these issues will be sorted out. By our last final preseason game we will have a pretty good idea who will be first 22 at round 1. At this stage my thinking is there is no best 22 until the coaches can have a look at everyone.
I actually reckon Cam Rayner is best option here and my prediction is McStay will not play round 1.
But no, I do not have a batphone to Fagnob so cannot say if they would laugh at my suggestion.

Cam is 7cm shorter than McStay and the club very clearly sees him as a midfielder long term so suggesting he’s the reason McStay will play round 1 is interesting. Adams takes walkers spot down back for me so he’s not competition.

It was pretty clear at the end of the year that McStay was preferred to Walker up forward and it took harris’ injury for walker to have a good run down back and win another contract.

Honestly I think some people are (understandably) frustrated with McStay’s goal kicking issues and overreact to it as a result. I agree he needs to improve there - I just think he should be able to tidy that up. He hasn’t had a consistent run at a single position and has had a few interrupted pre-seasons so I’m bullish he can really emerge.

Dodongo has said this 100 times already and Dodongo will say it again

McStay will go close to winning a Coleman at some stage, if not winning it. He will top our goal kicking a few years.

It takes years for key forwards to come on. He has been played out of position and is developing quickly. Dodongo points out that he is presenting himself and getting a lot of shots at goal already. Accuracy will come.

Dodongo remembers Geelong not giving up on Hawkins when he was inaccurate and took a while to come on and any other team in the past with inaccurate forwards. Why should we give up on McStay? Dodongo thinks the people giving up on him and saying he should be traded etc are too impatient and expect players to be guns quickly when in fact it doesn't happen like that for every single player in the competiton, let alone McStay.

Dodongo thinks what McStay showed this year was massive improvement. The fact he had a lot of shots on goal is a good thing. Now be patient and wait for the accuracy to come, which it will. Dodongo can see him doubling up next year on the amount of goals he kicked this year.

McStay is a lock for best 22.

McStay will go close to winning a Coleman at some stage, if not winning it. He will top our goal kicking a few years.

It takes years for key forwards to come on. He has been played out of position and is developing quickly. Dodongo points out that he is presenting himself and getting a lot of shots at goal already. Accuracy will come.

Dodongo remembers Geelong not giving up on Hawkins when he was inaccurate and took a while to come on and any other team in the past with inaccurate forwards. Why should we give up on McStay? Dodongo thinks the people giving up on him and saying he should be traded etc are too impatient and expect players to be guns quickly when in fact it doesn't happen like that for every single player in the competiton, let alone McStay.

Dodongo thinks what McStay showed this year was massive improvement. The fact he had a lot of shots on goal is a good thing. Now be patient and wait for the accuracy to come, which it will. Dodongo can see him doubling up next year on the amount of goals he kicked this year.

I'm with you on McStay as well Dodongo

Im sick of the way you sit on the fence. You should be bolder with your predictions!

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Gardiner ~ Adams/ Andrews ~ Hodge
HALF BACK: Witherden ~ Andrews/ Adams ~ Rich

WINGS: Cutler ~ McCluggage
CENTRE: J. Berry

HALF FWD: J. Lyons ~ Hipwood ~ Rayner
FULL FWD: Christensen ~ McInerney ~ Cameron

RUCK: Martin
FOLLOWERS: Neale ~ Zorko

INTERCHANGE: Robinson ~ Bailey ~ Lester/ Robertson ~ Taylor/ McCarthy

1st STRING (no particular order): Keays ~ E. Smith ~ Walker ~ Cox ~ McStay ~ Mathieson ~ Starcervich ~ Eagles ~ A. Smith

2nd STRING: Bastinac ~ T. Berry ~ Allison ~ Skinner ~ Hinge ~ Joyce ~ Wooler ~ Ballenden
C. Lyons ~ Payne ~ Madden ~ Answerth ~ McFadyen ~ Fullarton

Lester OR Robertson I have Lester in front currently. More adaptable in his role than Robertson in my opinion.

McCarthy OR Taylor will be an interesting discussion. I'm not a big rater of Taylor and think a fully fit McCarthy will put some pressure on him.

McFadyen I think can definitely work his way into the first string list but the good thing is that the Lions have time to let him develop well. Keays, Smith, Mathieson, Starcervich a few of the guys ahead of him

Wooler, Ballenden and Payne are getting more senior exposure which is great and I'm bullish on the future of the talls with those 3 included as well as Andrews and Hipwood as local QLD products.

McStay's future at Brisbane will be interesting to track in 2019. He has the tricks to be a best 22 player but I've gone with the extra height/ second ruck in McInerney which could easily be McStay if you back Stef in to go solo.

G'day Lions fans,

As a Fagan and Hodgy fan I've fallen a bit in love with the club lately.

With Dizzy going down, I have heard some peoples opinions for the best way to cover him. I am considering the Lions backline without Marcus Adams because I am seriously unsure of his body and don't think he will play round 1 based off his tenure at the dogs.

But I haven't heard too much chatter about Skinner. Although I would love to see Eagles play, it would be interesting to see if Fagan gives a younger bloke a shot, and personally I think Payne would be great. Granted he is not as mobile as Gardiner and I'm not sure what he is like on the ground. But he is a huge body who can take the big guys and let Andrews do his thing. Walker at the end of 2018 found a really good role for himself which was like an almost intercepting, 'third man' type defender. Half way between Lever and Hurn.

When I think of the key position backs without Dizzy, Skinner and Andrews could have a dynamic like Hooker and Hurley for Essendon. Hooker makes sure the big forward is accounted for so Hurley can spend more time doing other things like directing traffic and getting the ball out of the back 50. Walker could work in tandem with Hodge like Gibson did for the Hawks a few years ago. Covering each other when they leave their man to impact an aerial contest.

With all those blokes roles in the back 50 sorted, Robertson and Witherden can really concentrate on being rebounding, ball magnet defenders who can apply pressure and win the ball off the ground.

FB: Robertson Skinner Hodge
HB: Witherden Andrews Walker
C: Rich Zorko McLuggage
HF: Cameron McStay Rayner
FF: Christensen Hipwood Taylor
Foll: Martin Neale Berry
Int/ McInernery Cutler Lyons Robinson

G'day Lions fans,

As a Fagan and Hodgy fan I've fallen a bit in love with the club lately.

With Dizzy going down, I have heard some peoples opinions for the best way to cover him. I am considering the Lions backline without Marcus Adams because I am seriously unsure of his body and don't think he will play round 1 based off his tenure at the dogs.

But I haven't heard too much chatter about Skinner. Although I would love to see Eagles play, it would be interesting to see if Fagan gives a younger bloke a shot, and personally I think Payne would be great. Granted he is not as mobile as Gardiner and I'm not sure what he is like on the ground. But he is a huge body who can take the big guys and let Andrews do his thing. Walker at the end of 2018 found a really good role for himself which was like an almost intercepting, 'third man' type defender. Half way between Lever and Hurn.

When I think of the key position backs without Dizzy, Skinner and Andrews could have a dynamic like Hooker and Hurley for Essendon. Hooker makes sure the big forward is accounted for so Hurley can spend more time doing other things like directing traffic and getting the ball out of the back 50. Walker could work in tandem with Hodge like Gibson did for the Hawks a few years ago. Covering each other when they leave their man to impact an aerial contest.

With all those blokes roles in the back 50 sorted, Robertson and Witherden can really concentrate on being rebounding, ball magnet defenders who can apply pressure and win the ball off the ground.

FB: Robertson Skinner Hodge
HB: Witherden Andrews Walker
C: Rich Zorko McLuggage
HF: Cameron McStay Rayner
FF: Christensen Hipwood Taylor
Foll: Martin Neale Berry
Int/ McInernery Cutler Lyons Robinson
I understand your reasoning and in some part agree, however l feel like 3 big Key defenders will make us too big. The good thing with Dizzy is that he can play on all forwards. Walker was playing well as an intercepting defender, however 1 on 1 he wasn't very good, plus Andrews is ahead of him in that intercepting role. I would say Adams is a better 1 on 1 type so l would have him ahead of him only if his body holds up which has been looking good so far. Personally, if l was to swap Dizzy for someone, l would swap them with Cox. I reckon he is ready to have a break out year, will benefit hugely with Hodge in the side and we need his linebreaking speed.

Round 1 we’ll probably have to matchup on Kennedy, Vardy/Hickey and Darling.

Preferably we’d have Gardiner on Darling, Andrews on Kennedy and Adams on Vardy.

Wouldn’t want Walker, Eagles or Skinner on Darling and it would be a tough first game for Payne to play on him but it might be a better matchup with his athleticism.

If Gardiner isn’t fit then Adams would be a good matchup for Darling. If they’re both unavailable maybe Robertson would be an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paine played well on Buddy last pre-season and was impressive. If he is fit and firing he could handle Darling. Don't underestimate Skinners grit and willingness to succeed either. Both will be gems.
With you 100% Payne was great on Buddy although just pre-season there was a lot of hype after that game on Payne and I think he was ahead of Walker, Eagles and Skinner at that stage to make his debut. He is one big unity, even on crutches last year bent over he was the size of eagles when I met them. Fagan gave Skinner some big encouragement late last year in the 2's finals and that boy plays with some grit, he would tackle a gold post if it moved. Either against the Eagles would be good development although i think Payne is just that bit quicker off the mark.

If that’s correct Cutler, Walker and Mathieson on outer. Christiansen down back, J Lyons straight in. Cox, Keays and Bastinac must be having good preseasons.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would hope it wouldnt be correct then because Cutler had a breakout season last season and was one of our best deliverers inside 50. I can understand Walker and Matho on outer due to Adams and Lyons/Neale tho

Would hope it wouldnt be correct then because Cutler had a breakout season last season and was one of our best deliverers inside 50. I can understand Walker and Matho on outer due to Adams and Lyons/Neale tho

I wouldn't look too much into those team lineups. Even if those players are to make into the team, they're probably going to be tested in JLT and the Suns practice matches to see how they go before being set best 22.

My read of the boards:

Probables
Witherden Andrews Gardiner
Christensen Hodge Rich
Taylor Berry McCluggage
Rayner McStay Zorko
Cameron Hipwood McCarthy
McInerney Neale J.Lyons
Keays Bailey Bastinac Cox

Possibles
Lester Skinner (blank)
Hinge Walker Madden
Starcevich Robertson Cutler
Wooller Fullarton C.Lyons
Allison Ballenden Robinson
A.Smith Mathieson E.Smith
(blank) (blank) (blank) (blank)

Unassigned: Joyce, McFadyen, T.Berry, Adams, Eagles, Answerth, Martin, Payne.

B Witherden Andrews Adams
HB Rich Gardiner Hodge
C McCluggage Berry Cutler
HF Christensen Hipwood Rayner
F McInerney McStay Cameron
R Martin Neale Zorko
I Robertson Cox Bailey JLyons

Next 6 in line: Robinson, Taylor, Walker, Lester, McCarthy, Mathieson.

Youth knocking on the door: Starcevich, Skinner, Payne, CLyons, Hinge, ESmith.

We have some nice KPP depth developing with Walker, Eagles, Skinner, Payne, Wooller, Ballenden and Fullarton all missing from my best 22 but capable of getting games. Adams is going to want to perform or Walker will occupy his spot and if we are hit hard with injuries Eagles can play a role if Skinner or Payne aren't ready.

I think guys like Bastinac, Keays and Allison are really going to struggle to get games unless we are hit hard with injuries likewise Archie unless we lose one of Stef or O. We just have far too much depth in our midfield/flanker positions now in order for those guys to get games unless they really perform in the reserves, earn a call up and make the most of it. I also think our most recent batch of draftees will be unlikely to get games and can spend the year developing in the reserves(Which is a big positive I think) with the exception of Ely Smith who I think will earn some senior games.

I was surprised I didn't fit Robinson or Taylor in and you could replace Cox and Bailey with those guys, however, I think Cox and Bailey add such a point of difference to our side with their leg speed and talent. If Cox and Bailey can become consistent, best 22 contributors we are going to be a much, much better side. I love Robbo and Lewy, however, I think as we improve as a side over the next season or two they'll be forced out of the best 22 line up. I still expect both to play a lot of games though likewise guys like Lester, Matho and McCarthy as injures inevitably hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some stage this year Hodge makes way for Hinge. Hinge was close to a debut last year and I think he'll be ready for senior games this year. Rich would want to perform at his best week in and week out as well or guys like Cox and Hinge could really put pressure on him for his spot.

I likewise think Corey Lyons will be ready for senior footy this year but that opens an interesting discussion. Outside of the best 22 I listed above, you have all of Robinson, Mathieson, Starcevich and CLyons as options as inside mids competing for a spot in the senior team. JLyons is the obvious one who'd make way if one of them forced their way in because Neale, Zorko and Berry are locks in that sort of role so Jarryd will need to find consistent form. Guys like Christensen and Bailey would also be in the firing line if their form dipped potentially making way for one Robinson/Starc/CLyons/Matho. Robinson, Starc and Matho are all capable of playing that half forward flank role that I have Bundy occupying so in order for Corey Lyons to improve his chances of getting a game he may need to work on his forward craft.

Overall though I really like our squad and the improved depth. I think we are set for a really exciting year. If guys like Robinson and Taylor aren't playing senior footy we'll have improved as a team as those guys are proven 100+ game performers and very handy as depth. I think we are more than capable of 10 wins. If we can hit that mark, finish around the 8th-11th spot on the ladder and play some exciting footy, I think we'll be a very attractive destination for opposition players come the off season, if we can add another A grade star e.g. Neale at the end of this year I think we can start to expect finals footy from next year onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back