Brisbane Lions
My latest round 1 team.

Hodge. Andrews. Rich
Witho. Walker. N Robbo

Cutler. Neale. Hugh
Martin. Zorko. Berry

Cameron hippy taylor
Rayner. Big O Bailey

Int: Mitch R. Lyons. Mccarthy. Adams (or froggy if injured).

Injuries: Gardiner.

Key selection philosophies:
- no experiments first 5 rounds eg Andrews forward or Bailey back. Can't afford to drop a game early on due to failed experiments.
- mobile forward line with big O playing Cox role for Collingwood.
- keep defence similar to last year as improvement last year was significant and hopefully similar improvement this year.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
If Dizzy is fit he is in playing on the 3rd or a medium. He had a cracking year last season.

Didn’t a PCL use to be about a 12 week injury? Has it gotten shorter? Didn’t get how Gardiner was ever going to be ready for round 1 when he got injured in mid-January.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Didn’t a PCL use to be about a 12 week injury? Has it gotten shorter? Didn’t get how Gardiner was ever going to be ready for round 1 when he got injured in mid-January.

Apparently Gardiner has been doing well in recovery. I remember someone saying on another thread Fages said the next scratch against the Suns they’d play him.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I know only one JLT game but on yesterdays showing Lincoln McCarthy is a lock for round 1, Lachie Neale was a known elite talent and was always a lock, Jarryd Lyons apparently put up a pretty good showing as well, very close to a lock IMO.

I think we shall also be pleasantly surprised with Marcus Adams if we get a look at him before round 1, he's like McCarthy in that he has undoubted talent we just need to get his body right and he'll be another piece of our impending finals side puzzle.

Round 1 locks(assuming fit) so far, going on scratch match v Suns, JLT v Hawks, intra-club and training/match reports-

Luke Hodge.
Dayne Zorko.
Daniel Rich.
Lachie Neale.
Lincoln McCarthy.
Charlie Cameron.
Darcy Gardiner.
Harris Andrews.
Eric Hipwood.
Jarrod Berry.
Hugh McCluggage.
Alex Witherden.
Zac Bailey.
Cameron Rayner.

Borderline, fighting for the remaining 8 spots-
Daniel McStay.
Allen Christensen.
Marcus Adams.
Lewy Taylor.
Tom Cutler.
Stefan Martin.
Archie Smith.
Mitch Robinson.
Jarryd Lyons.
Josh Walker.
Oscar McInerney.
Cedric Cox.
Rhys Mathieson.

Personally I'd like to see Cox and Cutler in the side to add some run and pace, J.Lyons will likely be there, also like us to abandon the 3 tall forward policy, Stef just has to show he's ready to go to be a lock as well.

Plenty of competition for spots, fantastic to see.

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FF: McCarthy Hipwood Cameron
HF: Robinson McStay Rayner
C: Taylor Neale McCluggage
HB: Witherden Adams/Walker Rich
FB: Gardiner Andrews Hodge
R : Martin Zorko Lyons

- Berry, Cutler, Christensen, Bastinac

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FF: McCarthy Hipwood Cameron
HF: Robinson McStay Rayner
C: Taylor Neale McCluggage
HB: Witherden Adams/Walker Rich

- Berry, Cutler, Christensen, Bastinac
I don’t mind this but we will be going with the 3 talks IMO. Maybe take Bastinac out for Big O and rotate the four talks of Martin, O, McStay and Hipwood.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t mind this but we will be going with the 3 talks IMO. Maybe take Bastinac out for Big O and rotate the four talks of Martin, O, McStay and Hipwood.

I'm reasonably similar to you, I'd have either Bundy or Lewy out for Bailey though. Mitch Robbo also a chance to miss out - there is more competition for a forward role and less opportunities in the middle so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a bit of NEAFL this year.

Realistically it looks like Lester might start of the year in the team, particularly if Dizzy isn't ready to go round 1.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One thing the JLT has shown is intercept marking in the back half is important.

Adams will be important if we can get him on the park. Gives the option of putting Walker or Andrews fwd.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I had in my head about 10 weeks for a PCL. Not sure if that is to get back to training or playing though
He was running strongly before the suns match probably did around 10 laps, then was doing two footed jumping drill in different directions.When I spoke to him he was hopeful to be ready for round 1.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was running strongly before the suns match probably did around 10 laps, then was doing two footed jumping drill in different directions.When I spoke to him he was hopeful to be ready for round 1.
Don't think we need to rush him for Round 1. We will be kicking ourselves if he gets injured as a result due to not enough healing time or body of work and out for another few weeks/months

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't think we need to rush him for Round 1. We will be kicking ourselves if he gets injured as a result due to not enough healing time or body of work and out for another few weeks/months
Agree but im sure our medical staff will do the right thing.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep agree, being realistic it is an unlikely win for us anyway. I'd be very cautious with Charlie Cameron as well, I don't like the sound of hamstring cramps, I hope the club are getting scans just to be certain.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some very interesting selection decisions for round 1. For me I probably have 19 locks and a question mark over the other 3 spots. Big O wouldn't be in my ideal team but from all reports Fages wants 2 rucks so he's in.

FF: Cameron Hipwood Big O
HF: McCarthy McStay Rayner
C: Berry Neale McCluggage
HB: Witherden Walker Rich

I: Bailey.

After that the last 3 spots probably come out of Robbo, Christensen, Bastinac and Taylor - I'd have Cutler in the team personally but seems he is out of favour.

If I had to guess I'd say Lewy misses out.

EDIT: Forgot Beastmode, he's a lock for round 1 too.

Last edited:
Some very interesting selection decisions for round 1. For me I probably have 19 locks and a question mark over the other 3 spots. Big O wouldn't be in my ideal team but from all reports Fages wants 2 rucks so he's in.

FF: Cameron Hipwood Big O
HF: McCarthy McStay Rayner
C: Berry Neale McCluggage
HB: Witherden Walker Rich

I: Bailey.

After that the last 3 spots probably come out of Robbo, Christensen, Bastinac and Taylor - I'd have Cutler in the team personally but seems he is out of favour.

If I had to guess I'd say Lewy misses out.

Matho had a very good pre-season and amongst our best in both JLT games. He'd be unlucky to miss out on round 1 imo.

Back