After the preseason this is my 22

Christensen Andrews Hodge

Rich Walker Witherden

Clugga Neale Berry

Rayner McStay Zorko

Cameron Hipwood McCarthy

Martin Lyons Matho

Bench Bailey Big O M.Robbo Squizz.

Gardiner to have 1 week in the Neafl for match practice.

Only watched half the match but based on scoreline and the half looked much better than last week, l rekon we should only have the 2 keyforwards. Seemed to stay in our f50 for longer
Partly due to the fact that McStay was competitive even when it hit the ground. There is a view that the new 666 rule will make two genuine rucks almost essential. If the Big O is healthy I reckon he plays.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Subject to Gardiner being set to go I think we can just about lock in 21 out of the 22 players for the Round 1 side as follows-

B Gardiner Andrews Witherden
HB Rich Walker Hodge
C McCluggage Mathieson Berry
HF Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Rayner
R Martin Neale Lyons
I Christensen Robinson Bailey

Does that final interchange spot go to McInerney to support Stef in the ruck? If the selection committee decide they want the extra tall to support Stef then I think the Big O plays. If they decide to go a little smaller, however, I think it'll come down to Bastinac v Taylor. I wonder if Cutler and Robertson will be able to force their way in throughout the year? With inevitable injuries they'll no doubt play a lot of games but if we had a golden run it makes me wonder. Gardiner is still listed as 3-4 weeks away on the Lions website, does that bring someone like Lester into the frame to play in the back half? If Robertson could prove his fitness you'd think he'd be a good chance at earning a spot.

BrizzyBandit

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodge Walker Rich
Bailey Andrews Witherden

Zorko Berry McCluggage
Martin Lyons Neale

McCarthy McStay Rayner
Hipwood BigO Cameron

I: Mathieson Robinson Christensen Bastinac

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only saw last quarter of 2s yesterday but Eagles looked a class above the others and Hinge played like a Platful. On the 1s showing it will be hard to displace anyone in the starting 18 but these guys are putting pressure on them which is great to see.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Robertson Adams Gardiner
HB: Witherden Andrews Rich
C: McCluggage Neale Cutler
HF: Cameron Hipwood Rayner
FF: Robinson McStay Christensen
Ruck: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: J Lyons, Bailey, McInerney, Hodge

Depth: Mathieson, Taylor, Walker, McCarthy, Keays, Cox, Allison, Lester

Reserves

B: Hinge Eagles Skinner
HB: Cox Walker Lester
C: Allison Mathieson Taylor
HF: Starcevich Wooller Bastinac
FF: Fullarton Ballenden McCarthy
Ruck: Smith C Lyons Keays
Bench: Payne, Madden and the draftees

Changes: Cutler and Robertson make way for McCarthy and Bastinac

B: Hodge Adams/Walker Gardiner/Lester
HB: Witherden Andrews Rich
C: McCluggage Neale Zorko
HF: McCarthy Hipwood Rayner
FF: Cameron McStay Robinson
Ruck: Martin JLyons Berry
Bench: Bailey, McInerney, Christensen, Bastinac

Hodge Dizzy Witherden
Rich Andrews Bailey
McCluggage Neale Robinson
Martin Lyons Zorko
McCarthy McStay Bastinac
Rayner Hipwood Cameron

Into: Mathieson Bundy Berry Oscar/Taylor

Imo this gives us a really nice balance across the board and our final spot can be used for an extra tall or small depending on what we feel we need. Once Adams is fit and firing, it'll make for some seriously interesting selection options. Until then, I reckon the above will be close to spot on.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Pre season done and dusted, Gardiner and Robertson listed as 2-3 weeks away so not considering them, making my 22 v the Eagles in round 1-

Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich.
Alex Witherden, Josh Walker, Zac Bailey.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons.
Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry.

Lincoln McCarthy, Daniel McStay, Charlie Cameron.
Cameron Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lewy Taylor.

Ryan Lester/Oscar McInerney*, Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Robinson.

* I'd go with a small although I fully expect us to select the Big O.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pre season done and dusted, Gardiner and Robertson listed as 2-3 weeks away so not considering them, making my 22 v the Eagles in round 1-

I think Bundy would get a spot over Basti.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Gunna be tricky for round 1 selection against WC especially if Kennedy is fit.......with talent bigs n clever smalls. Hopefully opposition will have the same dilemma selecting against us.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodge Dizzy Witherden
Rich Andrews Bailey
McCluggage Neale Robinson
Martin Lyons Zorko
McCarthy McStay Bastinac
Rayner Hipwood Cameron

Into: Mathieson Bundy Berry Oscar/Taylor

Imo this gives us a really nice balance across the board and our final spot can be used for an extra tall or small depending on what we feel we need. Once Adams is fit and firing, it'll make for some seriously interesting selection options. Until then, I reckon the above will be close to spot on.

The problem is the Eagles will probably play Darling, A key forward and a resting ruckman in the forward line and we only have 2 defenders who can play tall. If Adams and Gardiner are unavailable we don't really have a good matchup for Darling.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The problem is the Eagles will probably play Darling, A key forward and a resting ruckman in the forward line and we only have 2 defenders who can play tall. If Adams and Gardiner are unavailable we don't really have a good matchup for Darling.
Matty Eagles?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'm hoping against hope that Gardiner will be fit enough to play. If he isn't I suspect Lester gets the nod and him on Darling is not a good matchup at all.

Harris has to be playing back for at least the first month thankfully (Kennedy or Darling, Ben Brown, Dixon and Daniher) so that takes away the temptation from the coaching staff to do something stupid.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Matty Eagles?

I wasn't impressed with him defensively last year. Wouldn't want him on Darling and I'm not sure Andrews is mobile enough to go with Darling.

I'm hoping against hope that Gardiner will be fit enough to play. If he isn't I suspect Lester gets the nod and him on Darling is not a good matchup at all.

Harris has to be playing back for at least the first month thankfully (Kennedy or Darling, Ben Brown, Dixon and Daniher) so that takes away the temptation from the coaching staff to do something stupid.

I think Lester will be the backup backman unless we need someone quicker or taller than him. He's now a competent backmen but he just can't play on the really tall forwards or the really quick forwards.

NRobbo might have been an option for Darling if he wasn't injured or out of form.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wasn't impressed with him defensively last year. Wouldn't want him on Darling and I'm not sure Andrews is mobile enough to go with Darling.

I think Lester will be the backup backman unless we need someone quicker or taller than him. He's now a competent backmen but he just can't play on the really tall forwards or the really quick forwards.

NRobbo might have been an option for Darling if he wasn't injured or out of form.

My concern with NRobbo would be that he doesn't quite have the athleticism to deal with Darling - last year he was great on medium forwards like Breust, but when he had to go onto De Goey against Collingwood he couldn't really keep up. Darling isn't as explosive as De Goey but he is extremely physical and quick on the lead.

As an aside I hope we recontract NRobbo even if he plays more NEAFL this year - he has improved a lot and is one of our few natural defenders, even if he doesn't have the most attacking flair.

Forgot about Walker. Good to have genuine depth in all areas for a change.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My concern with NRobbo would be that he doesn't quite have the athleticism to deal with Darling - last year he was great on medium forwards like Breust, but when he had to go onto De Goey against Collingwood he couldn't really keep up. Darling isn't as explosive as De Goey but he is extremely physical and quick on the lead.

As an aside I hope we recontract NRobbo even if he plays more NEAFL this year - he has improved a lot and is one of our few natural defenders, even if he doesn't have the most attacking flair.
Always Hinge waiting in the background...played well yesterday.....also apparently Oscar Allen is tearing up the JLT if Kennedy doesnt make it.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I like the team, save I would have Christensen for Bastinac.

If Big O is fit he plays, but if he’s not fit can’t see us playing Archie. Shame that neither he or Stef are any good forward.

While Ballenden’s lateral movement appears non-existent, I expect him to play a fair bit later this season. I think Hodge should rest much of the second half of the season (results permitting), to settle the back half for the future and give opportunity to Ballenden etc

Last edited:
Back