Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Fish’s go at a starting 22 for the Lions in round 1.

I would be inclined to have Martin in there over Archie at this stage.

Our reporters have named each team's line-ups for the season opener
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-14/mock-teams-your-clubs-best-22-for-round-one
Yep I agree, I would be absolutely dumbfounded if Archie plays and Martin doesn't. Fish is usually on the money but that is a pretty sceptical call.

Archie looked out of his depth against the Dees las week. When Stef came on he immediately made an impact and was excellent.

Last edited:
My final team differs from Fish in 2 spots:

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden
HB: Luke Hodge, Josh Walker, Daniel Rich
C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Jarrod Berry
HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Lincoln McCarthy
FF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Oscar McInerney
Foll: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Zac Bailey, Rhys Mathieson, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen

I think with quite a few youngish players in the team Robbo is needed to provide a bit of grunt so Lewy misses out on the final bench spot.

Not sure the Oscar, Mcstay and Hipwood combo is the way to go. They tend to miscomminicate and compete against themselves. Mcstay and hipwood tanden once they get into each others flow will be good.

Just noticed Michael Whitings best 22 on AFL.com, he gone with all these three as well. Oscar o think is required to give a chop out in the ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Important thing is that if you are going in with 3 talls, you need to make use of them. You have to be taking marks. We have a good complement of smalls for our talls, and we do well to get it to ground and have our small forwards and mids capitalise, but we are yet to really see some dominate marking. Once we can get this part of our game going we will take a very big step forward i think. Our forwards aren't big contested power forwards, so for a lot of it, we are going to need some smooth ball movement and some smart entries hitting up leads. Think at this point too often we are kicking long and the forwards trying to get them over the back. I'd really like to see a forwards setup where 1 or 2 of them are getting up the ground to be that target 40-70m from goal, and leaving space for the guy from the goal square. Depending on the ball movement, you can hit up that first guy, or just go straight over. Will take some time for this to gel and get into action, but i think we can make it work.

Archie has come along very well, and with Martin have a slower preseason, it wouldn't surprise me if we did go with Archie for the first game or 2. Case of having a strong back up for Martin, so you can afford to give them that extra time when needed. Stef is getting on, and it might even be good to give him a week or 2 off during the season to keep him fresh. It is a luxury when we have a half decent back up. Can't wait for the first game.

A similar structure works well at west coast with 3 dangerous small/mediums. I think we can make it work.
All of Cameron, McCarthy, Rayner, Robinson, Christensen, Zorko, Lyons, Berry and McCluggage can rotate through the forward line and provide both a goal scoring threat and offer defensive pressure. The main player on our list who has a limited defensive presence that does go forward is Taylor.

All of Cameron, McCarthy, Rayner, Robinson, Christensen, Zorko, Lyons, Berry and McCluggage can rotate through the forward line and provide both a goal scoring threat and offer defensive pressure. The main player on our list who has a limited defensive presence that does go forward is Taylor.

I’m with you. Taylor isn’t in my best 22 and will struggle to get back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A similar structure works well at west coast with 3 dangerous small/mediums. I think we can make it work.

I realize it’s different era and a different game now, but geez I use to love it when Matthews would line clear up the forward line and then line up Lynch (goal square) Bradshaw (30 our from goal) and Brown (on 50) straight down the center of the forward 50. Nobody claimed 3 talks didn’t work back then.

I realize it’s different era and a different game now, but geez I use to love it when Matthews would line clear up the forward line and then line up Lynch (goal square) Bradshaw (30 our from goal) and Brown (on 50) straight down the center of the forward 50. Nobody claimed 3 talks didn’t work back then.
The difference being that none were a ruckman like McInerney is and were all out and out KPF.

Last edited:

The Big O, Hippy and McStay have a ways to go before they are even in the same postcode as Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw, hopefully one day.

Hodge - Andrews - Witherden
Rich - Walker - Bailey
Zorko - Lyons - McCluggage
McCarthy - Hipwood - Cameron
Rayner - McStay - Big O
Martin - Neale - Berry

Mathieson - Taylor - Robinson - Bundy

Lester - Cutler - Bastinac

Remove this Banner Ad

Back