Review 2019 Summer Series No 2- Fave moment of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed Anderson's attack on the ball.

r4_1.gif

Maj's last quarter against the Bulldogs.

And his marking all year:

r4_3.gif

(Thanks to Rick18 for the gifs.)

I would probably have either the last minute of the Dogs or Swans wins.

On the back of disappointing losses in 2017 I was expecting more close noble losses if there is such a thing but these two wins were cracker jack

So I will say the last 40 seconds of the Dogs win

How that ball ended up in JZs hands after such a series of fluke opportunities had me up and about for ours!

The Swans win at the SCG quite easily for me. Mason's winning goal if you want to narrow it down to a particular moment.

We actually looked like a finals team with that win. Our structures, attack on the ball and even skill stood out in that game against a quality team that was hungry to win.

Even with Mason's winning goal, look at the 1 percenters done by Jacobs, Higgins, Anderson, Thompson & finally Zurhaar. We were working as a real unit at this stage of the season (before something went seriously wrong around the halfway mark of the season).

Last edited:

It may sound too simplistic, but you may not be far from the truth there Gaso.

I still claim our defensive structures turned to crap at half time of the Lions home game when we were 10 goals up (and our defenders all wanted to kick goals). As it turns out, BJ played that game, got injured the next week in the Cats loss and then played 1 more game where he didn't look right. So your case is strong.

I still claim our defensive structures turned to crap at half time of the Lions home game when we were 10 goals up (and our defenders all wanted to kick goals). As it turns out, BJ played that game, got injured the next week in the Cats loss and then played 1 more game where he didn't look right. So your case is strong.

Look back to 2016 and the streak

When he didn’t play after that * win look how we fell away

He has the ability to null the key Mid Field opposition; when he is out we don’t have anyone to run with Sloane, Dangerfield, etc etc etc etc and we get chopped up

He has accidentally become the most important player for our structure that if he plays a full 2019 we will make the GF; that is how highly I rate him

It was the Brions game where Jed Anderson got injured early and missed the next game as a result. Also Ryan Clarke was dropped for that game. While that might not seem much I reckon Clarke's gut running helped our defense just by his ability to cover players. Once oppositions worked out how soft he was tho I think his defensive value went south quickly - seeing Clarke marking someone would have been similar to seeing them on their own come the second half of the season imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Swans win at the SCG quite easily for me. Mason's winning goal if you want to narrow it down to a particular moment.

We actually looked like a finals team with that win. Our structures, attack on the ball and even skill stood out in that game against a quality team that was hungry to win.

Even with Mason's winning goal, look at the 1 percenters done by Jacobs, Higgins, Anderson, Thompson & finally Zurhaar. We were working as a real unit at this stage of the season (before something went seriously wrong around the halfway mark of the season).

Yep. This and the first half dismantling of Hawthorn for me.

Look back to 2016 and the streak

When he didn’t play after that * win look how we fell away

He has the ability to null the key Mid Field opposition; when he is out we don’t have anyone to run with Sloane, Dangerfield, etc etc etc etc and we get chopped up

He has accidentally become the most important player for our structure that if he plays a full 2019 we will make the GF; that is how highly I rate him

He allows everyone else in there to play their natural ball hunting games. Given how skinny our midfield depth is has been highlighted in his absence.

Same with Ferby on Jed Andersons rise.

I'd also like to nominate the return of Goldstein from his slump, and the absolute clinic he put on in the first half of the Hawthorn match, which I rated our best 60 minutes for this year and probably in the last 3 years. We were electric for that hour.

The JZ and Wood game winning goals were special, but I’ll single out a Majak effort, a clean-as a-whistle spoil against the bulldogs going back with the flight, miraculously avoiding a front-on contact free. It was the moment he looked like a genuine defender to me.

One of my favourite moments of 2018 was when Bailey Scott nominated us as his club of choice. The kid is going to be a steal at the pick we got him. Its going to be so good watching him play in the famous strip. Plus it felt great rubbing it in to my Geelong mate who thought that there was no way he would choose us over Geelong.

My other favourite moment which does not involve North, was that split second Eddie and Bucks realised another premiership had just slipped through their hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back