2nds 2019 Suns Reserves and NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez I imagine if we just offed Rischa mid season...

Would be poor form, especially when he has a contract, and those young kids need an experienced head in the NEAFL.

Potentially Powell and Miles back this week to the 1's and Lemmens a chance to play NEAFL, there is 3 more senior bodies in the 2's. Hopefully Ah Chee's injury isn't too bad and can play, Rankine also can't be too far away and you would imagine he may need to play a single game in the NEAFL to get some sort of touch back.

Sucks with the NEAFL team struggling a bit, but there should hopefully be some turn around coming soon.

Geez I imagine if we just offed Rischa mid season...

Would be poor form, especially when he has a contract, and those young kids need an experienced head in the NEAFL.

Potentially Powell and Miles back this week to the 1's and Lemmens a chance to play NEAFL, there is 3 more senior bodies in the 2's. Hopefully Ah Chee's injury isn't too bad and can play, Rankine also can't be too far away and you would imagine he may need to play a single game in the NEAFL to get some sort of touch back.

Sucks with the NEAFL team struggling a bit, but there should hopefully be some turn around coming soon.
You really don't think ahead , end of the year rischa going to retire anyway , are you going to give excuse next year that without Risca the NeaFL team suck or you take the risk and use half a season to test out mature age players. . A lot of peoples said without May ,Lynch,Lyons, Hall GC suns going to struggle but Bowes , Florini, Powell all step up .young , Holman , GHS,Sam Day , Burgess,Corey Ellis , Leslie supposed to be leader in NEAfL not Rankine , B king , Mc lennans , sheer , shoenfield Lukosius,Graham , Crossley , Dawson , Nutting , Heron .Greenwool , Sam Fletcher . GWS don't even need Risca type of leadership to win.

Last edited:

You really don't think ahead , end of the year rischa going to retire anyway , are you going to give excuse next year that without Risca the NeaFL team suck or you take the risk and use half a season to test out mature age players. Seriously how old is Risca ?
Nope, but just throwing kids out there with no senior leadership on the field is a fools gambit. You need good on field leadership, now more than ever, look at us bringing in the likes of Miles to support the other mids in the 1's. Rischa is taking up 1 spot on rookie list this year. Just asking the bloke to retire half way through a campaign just to fit a speculative VFL player onto the list for 6 month, that will more than likely not cut it is not going to build that culture that we want where we want everyone can be a part of, and everyone contributing. Lads would be worrying about if they are next to see the axe in May. There is a time to be ruthless with list decisions and May isn't the time for that, unsettling a list half way through a season.

Nope, but just throwing kids out there with no senior leadership on the field is a fools gambit. You need good on field leadership, now more than ever, look at us bringing in the likes of Miles to support the other mids in the 1's. Rischa is taking up 1 spot on rookie list this year. Just asking the bloke to retire half way through a campaign just to fit a speculative VFL player onto the list for 6 month, that will more than likely not cut it is not going to build that culture that we want where we want everyone can be a part of, and everyone contributing. Lads would be worrying about if they are next to see the axe in May. There is a time to be ruthless with list decisions and May isn't the time for that, unsettling a list half way through a season.
Name me GWS squad that beat GC that are older than Risca .their oldest player is around the same age as Nicholls- D Simpson , ruckmen , go and look at GWS NEAFL team and compare.
1) N Shipley ( 19 years old )
2) Ian Cummings (21 years old )
3) HaLloran (19 years old )
4) A Bonar (20 years old )
5) A Corr ( 24 year old )
6) SProule (21 years old )
7) M Flynn ( 21 years old )
8) Ian hill (19 years old )
9) Idun (19 years old )
10 ) D Simpson ( 30 years old)
11) Jack Buckley ( 22 years old )
12) calumm brown ( Irish Rookie B international 19 years old )
13) J pearling ( GWS U 19 academy player )
Other all U 18 /19 years old academy player .
* I don't mind you talk about Protect the kids but seriously losing to Kids that don't need protection and leadership poor excuses .

Last edited:
Name me GWS squad that beat GC that are older than Risca .their oldest player is around the same age as Nicholls , go and look at GWS NEAFL team and compare .
And? We aren't building a team to win the NEAFL.

The Lions won the 2017 NEAFL premiership and in the AFL they finished stone cold last. NEAFL success doesn't always equal AFL success, sure it is nice to win, but the primary objective of the NEAFL is to educate the players we have into being ready for prime time and fitting into our system, and I argue that Rischa's guidance is key to that, it is a mentoring role.

Also the issue with our NEAFL team is our rookie listed academy players don't seem to be up to the level needed unfortunately. It is just the way it is.

And? We aren't building a team to win the NEAFL.

The Lions won the 2017 NEAFL premiership and in the AFL they finished stone cold last. NEAFL success doesn't always equal AFL success, sure it is nice to win, but the primary objective of the NEAFL is to educate the players we have into being ready for prime time and fitting into our system, and I argue that Rischa's guidance is key to that, it is a mentoring role.

Also the issue with our NEAFL team is our rookie listed academy players don't seem to be up to the level needed unfortunately. It is just the way it is.
GWS , Sydney , Brisbane all rebuild their team and have injuries and yet perform better than GCS NeAFL team . If your NEAFL team not strong you don't have good back up for your best 22 once injuries strike . You need to develop a habit of winning not trashing week in week out in NEAFL .You can't blame scrimshaw requested to leave because if he is not in AFL team ,he got nothing to look forward to but a losing NEAFL team ,real suck for development players . Lukosius ,Rozee already played in SANFl preliminary finals and GF as 17 years old , you can't blame young players request to go home because they get trashed in NEAFL week in and week out .

Last edited:
I wonder if it is a coincidence that we have had s**t NEAFL teams for years and the Suns AFL team has been s**t for years.

The Swans have consistently strong NEAFL teams for years and have had consistently strong AFL senior teams.

Any sporting club seems to have their 1st's performing best when they have strong depth to call on and consistently strong standards throughout their playing ranks / list.

If we can sort out the wheat from the chaff and actually have a consistently strong list with minimal passengers then the Suns AFL team will benefit from this increased depth.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that we have had s**t NEAFL teams for years and the Suns AFL team has been s**t for years.

The Swans have consistently strong NEAFL teams for years and have had consistently strong AFL senior teams.

Any sporting club seems to have their 1st's performing best when they have strong depth to call on and consistently strong standards throughout their playing ranks / list.

If we can sort out the wheat from the chaff and actually have a consistently strong list with minimal passengers then the Suns AFL team will benefit from this increased depth.
Richmond actually playing VFL kids , Liam Baker , Balta , Bolton , Ross,stack all below 22 years old .They don't even have the luxury of Risca experience and Protection to Guide them in VFL ,played 2 and won 2 in VFL .

Schimshaw dad : playing in NEAFL again
Schimshaw : yup , so boring / homesick our team keep losing .
Schimshaw dad : come back then , at least VFL more challenging .

Scrimshaw's dad: playing in NEAFL again
Scrimshaw: yep I miss mum's cooking
Scrimshaw's dad: hang in there get the experience and you'll get your opportunity
Scrimshaw: I'd rather play games on my phone and I still miss Mum's cooking.
Scrimshaw's dad...well then I'll have a talk to clarko and see if we can get you an Audi and then with the right environment you'll be ok I'm sure
Scrimshaw; great dad, I never wanted to come here in the 1st place, can't wait to get home....
Scrimshaw's Dad: it's all done, we'll tell em you've got family problems and they'll be very sympathetic and they'll accept anything we give them.

Hawthorn board want Brodie but only willing to paid schimshaw type of deal .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS , Sydney , Brisbane all rebuild their team and have injuries and yet perform better than GCS NeAFL team . If your NEAFL team not strong you don't have good back up for your best 22 once injuries strike . You need to develop a habit of winning not trashing week in week out in NEAFL .You can't blame scrimshaw requested to leave because if he is not in AFL team ,he got nothing to look forward to but a losing NEAFL team ,real suck for development players . Lukosius ,Rozee already played in SANFl preliminary finals and GF as 17 years old , you can't blame young players request to go home because they get trashed in NEAFL week in and week out .
The difference with our NEAFL team that won the NEAFL a couple of years ago, was that it was choc full of experienced D grade AFL players with maybe 4 kids in that team.

The difference between the bottom 6 in our best 22 and most of the players in that NEAFL team was negligible.

We delisted 8 players from that NEAFL team at the end of the season.

We have also had a really good three year period with minimal injuries, so our NEAFL team has always had a core of 6 to 10 experienced players in it.

There has been a real emphasis by David Noble (General Manager of football) to restructure our list over the past three off-seasons. Slowly delisting the mature but underperforming players and drafting highly rated kids.

With the exception of losing Schache, we haven’t lost a kid in 4 drafts now, and we don’t draft academy kids for the sake of drafting QLD’ers. They have to be good enough. We’ve been lucky that for the most part, our academy kids haven’t been bid on early, so we’ve been able to add a lot highly rated interstate kids.

The difference with our NEAFL team that won the NEAFL a couple of years ago, was that it was choc full of experienced D grade AFL players with maybe 4 kids in that team.

The difference between the bottom 6 in our best 22 and most of the players in that NEAFL team was negligible.

We delisted 8 players from that NEAFL team at the end of the season.

We have also had a really good three year period with minimal injuries, so our NEAFL team has always had a core of 6 to 10 experienced players in it.

There has been a real emphasis by David Noble (General Manager of football) to restructure our list over the past three off-seasons. Slowly delisting the mature but underperforming players and drafting highly rated kids.

With the exception of losing Schache, we haven’t lost a kid in 4 drafts now, and we don’t draft academy kids for the sake of drafting QLD’ers. They have to be good enough. We’ve been lucky that for the most part, our academy kids haven’t been bid on early, so we’ve been able to add a lot highly rated interstate kids.
I agree with you , this is the solution I wanted . Risca is not Hodge , I don't think Hodge play any NEAFL match yet . The reason there is so many injuries is because GC don't have D/ C/b- grade mature body (Collins /Corbett type ) to protect the kids . Good story to Draft academy players but if they are not good better draft state league mature players who can protect your top 30 pick . The reason you get to keep your kids
1) playing AFL and having Luke Hodge to guide them
2) if they play NEAFL they are winning more than losing or get trashed .

Last edited:
I agree with you , this is the solution I wanted . Risca is not Hodge , I don't think Hodge play any NEAFL match yet . The reason there is so many injuries is because GC don't have D/ C/b- grade mature body (Collins /Corbett type ) to protect the kids . Good story to Draft academy players but if they are not good better draft state league mature players who can protect your top 30 pick .
Rischa is the b-grade body to protect and instruct the kids and you want to dump him for a speculator.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rischa is the b-grade body to protect and instruct the kids and you want to dump him for a speculator.

Instruct kids , GWS got who to instruct them . 17-22 years old ? .Young , Sam Day , Leslie , shoenfield , can't instruct better than GWS kids .what so special about Risca leadership that GWS can go without .
Sydney,Brisbane NEAafl who provide leadership and protection., Just one player or a group of players .who is your next leader if Risca injured .
How you going to develop players if they are non playing emergency ( Brad sheer , Heron )

Last edited:
Instruct kids , GWS got who to instruct them . 17-22 years old ? .Young , Sam Day , Leslie , shoenfield , can't instruct better than GWS kids .what so special about Risca leadership that GWS can go without .
Sydney,Brisbane NEAafl who provide leadership and protection., Just one player or a group of players .who is your next leader if Risca injured .
How you going to develop players if they are non playing emergency ( Brad sheer , Heron )
I'm getting dizzy. You complained about no big bodies to protect the kids then argue against the guy that's put there for that reason. We tried a NEAFL side of young players for years and look where that got us. GWS's youngsters are simply better then ours. Sun's have had a leadership issue in both sides from inception, we aren't at the same point in our development as the Swans, Lions and GWS it's that simple. Until we get 30-35 afl quality players on our list we need the Rischa and Day types to help mould them.

I'm getting dizzy. You complained about no big bodies to protect the kids then argue against the guy that's put there for that reason. We tried a NEAFL side of young players for years and look where that got us. GWS's youngsters are simply better then ours. Sun's have had a leadership issue in both sides from inception, we aren't at the same point in our development as the Swans, Lions and GWS it's that simple. Until we get 30-35 afl quality players on our list we need the Rischa and Day types to help mould them.

Why not get it in mid season , why you need to wait until end of the season . You can easily get Jye Bolton , Luke meadows type to replace Risca and instruct the kids you get to test their leadership quality as well . You are acting like cutting short Risca one year rookie deal to half a year a big deal and all the kids can only learn if he stayed 1 year instead of 6 month .
* You are not force to Draft skinny kids in mid season draft to replace Risca .

Last edited:
Why not get it in mid season , why you need to wait until end of the season . You can easily get Jye Bolton , Luke meadows type to replace Risca and instruct the kids you get to test their leadership quality as well . You are acting like cutting short Risca one year rookie deal to half a year a big deal and all the kids can only learn if he stayed 1 year instead of 6 month .
* You are not force to Draft skinny kids in mid season draft to replace Risca .
It is a big deal though. Look at from a human point of view, you are essentially telling a popular bloke at the club half way into a contract that he has to pack his locker. That could easily cause unrest amongst the group, and we have had trouble in the past attracting players. I imagine the thought of being cut in May will be less likely to entice blokes to the club, just so we can fit some speculative VFL players on the list.

I kind of want to disagree and agree partly with Peel. Cutting players midseason would be a giant dick move, given our club has a huge need to lure players TO our club. We have to at least appear like an inviting place.

But something has got to give with the NEAFL. I cringe at the thought of Ben King developing down there, and to be honest the idea of Rankine playing NEAFL is ghastly too. For our development program to improve we have to magic up some sort of strong seconds team in which kids can actually learn. And TBH I don't know how that happens in the short term.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I kind of want to disagree and agree partly with Peel. Cutting players midseason would be a giant dick move, given our club has a huge need to lure players TO our club. We have to at least appear like an inviting place.

But something has got to give with the NEAFL. I cringe at the thought of Ben King developing down there, and to be honest the idea of Rankine playing NEAFL is ghastly too. For our development program to improve we have to magic up some sort of strong seconds team in which kids can actually learn. And TBH I don't know how that happens in the short term.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
There's plenty of examples of how well quick fixes work across all sports. Rischa is being spoken about as if he hasn't been more then an honest toiler. He's a former b&f winner and at times held a failing AFL side together. In hindsight he should have been our first captain and we need his type in the club. If it was a Leslie type we were talking about sure the idea has some merit but not a bloke that helps set the culture of the joint.

There's plenty of examples of how well quick fixes work across all sports. Rischa is being spoken about as if he hasn't been more then an honest toiler. He's a former b&f winner and at times held a failing AFL side together. In hindsight he should have been our first captain and we need his type in the club. If it was a Leslie type we were talking about sure the idea has some merit but not a bloke that helps set the culture of the joint.

The way GCS delisted and trade players away every season especially those playing in NEAFL ( trashing lost) you are not helping to set culture , but helping them to end their career or asking them to go somewhere else . How you going to review players performance to keep them or let them go if your NEAFL team win around 10 games every year .

* Keeping one player to set culture in a team sports. Look at Richmond and Box Hill , bulldog in VFL do they keep Risca type to set culture .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back