2nds 2019 Suns Reserves and NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

They seem to have more mature rookies instead of mostly academy players and use more mature bodied top ups.. peel probably got a better idea

Yesterday by my numbers the Giants had
10 listed
4 rookie list
3 19 year old academy players
3 18 year old academy players
A couple I couldn't find their origin, but certainly didn't play a big role on the day.

They were just better across the board.

Their tall forwards more dangerous (Sproule 20 years, Briggs 19 years)
Their inside mids won more ball (Shipley 19 years, Bonar 20 years)
Their outside midfielders got more space (O'Halloran 18 years, Cumming 20 years)

19 year old GWS academy kid Peatling had 20 disposals and a goal and was far better than Connor Nutting in a very similar half forward role.

It wasn't a difference in age although they did look to have far bigger bodies.

Yesterday by my numbers the Giants had
10 listed
4 rookie list
3 19 year old academy players
3 18 year old academy players
A couple I couldn't find their origin, but certainly didn't play a big role on the day.

They were just better across the board.

Their tall forwards more dangerous (Sproule 20 years, Briggs 19 years)
Their inside mids won more ball (Shipley 19 years, Bonar 20 years)
Their outside midfielders got more space (O'Halloran 18 years, Cumming 20 years)

19 year old GWS academy kid Peatling had 20 disposals and a goal and was far better than Connor Nutting in a very similar half forward role.

It wasn't a difference in age although they did look to have far bigger bodies.
Their small forward Ian hill is very talented scoring 2.2 in his first NeAFL game .

Is the problem Malceski and his Coaching?

I still say letting Daniels go was a huge blunder.
We didn't let him go he was picked up by Southport which is understandably a much better coaching position.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the problem Malceski and his Coaching?

I still say letting Daniels go was a huge blunder.

I don’t know if this is just symptomatic of a team well beaten but there is just no clear identity or game plan.

Always under pressure, hack it forward. Unless our forwards can take a pack mark very little chance of scoring.

reminiscent of our top team unfortunately.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We didn't let him go he was picked up by Southport which is understandably a much better coaching position.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think if we offered him more cash he would have stayed. Being in the AFL system is very good for professional development. Reality is though we cheaped out in that regard.

Still doesn’t address what the problem is.

Some of our younger listed guys aren't very good. Most taken late in the draft, so not unexpected.
Some of our more highly drafted older listed guys are not playing very well and might not be on the list next year. And almost all of them are talls.

But I think a big reason is that we started the year thin in the midfield, both in quality and quantity. Not unexpected since we did not draft a pure mid in the last 2 drafts. Powell the closest, and he does mostly play mid in the NEAFL. We also got Weller with a draft pick.

We should be expecting an improvement this year, but we will continue to struggle at NEAFL until we improve our midfield overall. Expecting most of our top picks in this draft to be mids.

We are trying to play a game style similar to our senior team. When you have the bottom 7-8 not yet up to it, it can fall apart quickly.
You need a game style where those promoted to the AFL are already on the same page.
There’s a lot of hysteria about NEAFL results here.

I don't think anyone really cares about the results per se but more the ability for our younger guys to learn something playing in the lower divisions.
After watching the last couple of games I can see why we play lukosius in the ones even if he isn't ready.

Still doesn’t address what the problem is.
Why you care about Brisbane NEAFL team anywhere ? Is GCS NEAFL team that not performing and we try to find a solution , keep saying Brisbane NEAFL have the same kids is not going to help GCS ,just as you keep questioning why GCS let Lyons went for free to Brisbane .

* The problem , GCS need more 23-25 years old in the team and can do that in mid season rookie draft, clearly if you have list spots and LTI you utilised it . Two rookie list players salary are not even equal to Lyons salary .

Now what is your problem ?
Do any of us go went Brisbane/Sydney GWS board and comment on their NEAFL team?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why you care anywhere ? Is GCS NEAFL team that not performing and we try to find a solution , keep saying Brisbane NEAFL have the same kids is not going to help GCS ,just as you keep questioning why GCS let Lyons went for free to Brisbane .

* The problem , GCS need more 23-25 years old in the team and can do that in mid season rookie draft, clearly if you have list spots and LTI you utilised it . Two rookie list players salary are not even equal what Brisbane paid to Lyons .

Now what is your problem ?
Do any of us go went Brisbane/Sydney GWS board and comment on their NEAFL team?
Have you got something personally against me Peel?

The way you talk to me, one would think so.

First, I don’t keep questioning why GC let Lyons go. I asked once and a discussion followed. Haven’t asked since.

Other GC posters might keep mentioning Lyons, but not me.

Secondly I joined in to a discussion here. It was already going for two pages before I added my 2 cents worth.

Again, I compared it Brisbane. Didn’t make any judgments or critics.

I don’t have a problem. My guess is you seem to have a problem with me joining discussions here.

A couple of GC posters frequent the Brisbane board and comment on various threads.

Have you got something personally against me Peel?

The way you talk to me, one would think so.

First, I don’t keep questioning why GC let Lyons go. I asked once and a discussion followed. Haven’t asked since.

Other GC posters might keep mentioning Lyons, but not me.

Secondly I joined in to a discussion here. It was already going for two pages before I added my 2 cents worth.

Again, I compared it Brisbane. Didn’t make any judgments or critics.

I don’t have a problem. My guess is you seem to have a problem with me joining discussions here.

A couple of GC posters frequent the Brisbane board and comment on various threads.
Nothing against you, give me a solution that improve the team , not asking us what is the problem , we all discussing how GCS could improve the reserve team , Brisbane don't have this problem yet . You said a couple GC poster went to Brisbane board , did I went there and post about Lyons . ( I did it on the main board one or two times but not in Brisbane board ) .

Nothing against you, give me a solution that improve the team , not asking us what is the problem , we all discussing how GCS could improve the reserve team , Brisbane don't have this problem yet . You said a couple GC poster went to Brisbane board , did I went there and post about Lyons . ( I did it on the main board one or two times but not in Brisbane board ) .
As long as I’m respectful here, shouldn’t matter what I discuss here.

You asked me if any GC posters post on the Brisbane board.

What does it matter if other club fans post here. You’ve got a Pie and Tiger who post here regularly.

Others have already mentioned a solution. I simply asked what the problem is. You replied without actually answering the question.

As long as I’m respectful here, shouldn’t matter what I discuss here.

You asked me if any GC posters post on the Brisbane board.

What does it matter if other club fans post here. You’ve got a Pie and Tiger who post here regularly.

Others have already mentioned a solution. I simply asked what the problem is. You replied without actually answering the question.
You are not discussing you keep asking us what is our problem. We gave you some area we concerned about and you still keep asking what is our problem . .

Wasn't aware that Brodie Murdoch, former St Kilda player and younger brother of Jordan Murdoch signed with southport this year.
Nice to have a brother up here as well for Jordan.
Brodie played in Southport’s premiership last year. This is his second year.

Problem to my eyes is the same as it's always been. Our depth is next to non existent. Quite a few in the NEAFL side simply aren't afl quality and are even being exposed at neafl level, especially in the midfield. Swans, Giants and Lions are batting 35+ afl standard players to the Suns 26ish.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem to my eyes is the same as it's always been. Our depth is next to non existent. Quite a few in the NEAFL side simply aren't afl quality and are even being exposed at neafl level, especially in the midfield. Swans, Giants and Lions are batting 35+ afl standard players to the Suns 26ish.

We had the same problem. It took us three years to clean out our list and hit the draft big time to stock our list and NEAFL team with developing talent.

i wouldn't say we bat 35 deep with AFL standard players. Maybe 30 deep, with another 8 to 12 promising kids from our 47 man combined senior and rookie lists.

That’s why I was surprised they picked Sam fletcher..

We had the same problem. It took us three years to clean out our list and hit the draft big time to stock our list and NEAFL team with developing talent.

i wouldn't say we bat 35 deep with AFL standard players. Maybe 30 deep, with another 8 to 12 promising kids from our 47 man combined senior and rookie lists.
Was just plucking numbers haha.

That's the thing, we can't expect to get the NEAFL and AFL teams rebuilt in 1 or 2 drafts. There will be 3-4 years before being regularly competitive and 5-6 when the window is open.
Sun's build from the start provided no depth and it hadn't been addressed until mid Rocket and into Dew.

That’s why I was surprised they picked Sam fletcher..
If Risca retire mid season , GC get to try out 3 rookie in mid season draft . I knew Risca still rank up good number in NEAFL but he is not the future , I would love GC to try out 3 mid/small forward , if they are no good can send them back but if they are good , no need to worry about rookie Draft and SPP end of the year .

If Risca retire mid season , GC get to try out 3 rookie in mid season draft . I knew Risca still rank up good number in NEAFL but he is not the future , I would love GC to try out 3 mid/small forward , if they are no good can send them back but if they are good , no need to worry about rookie Draft and SPP end of the year .
Rischa is needed as a leader and teacher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back