2nds 2019 Suns Reserves and NEAFL

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Entertaining game after poor 1st qtr. It's a fun when Suns win for once.

Stand out was Corbett. Murdoch also showed that he belongs. GHS is perfect for NEAFL, only for NEAFL. Young and Nicholls were good too. Young players playing for their careers, Dawson and Nutting, were pretty good in the second half. Leslie not so much. Graham decent. Alex makes me excited.

And most important, Rankine survived! I assume at least one more game in NEAFL for him to build confidence in his body and build match fitness.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Corbett 6.1
Kicked 3.7 in the AFL - many missed easy shots too.

Hopefully give him some confidence in his kicking.
Think he kicked 14 goals 4 behinds - or something similar in the VFL last year

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Corbett 6.1
Kicked 3.7 in the AFL - many missed easy shots too.

Hopefully give him some confidence in his kicking.
Think he kicked 14 goals 4 behinds - or something similar in the VFL last year
Corbett kicked 22 goals in 9 games in the VFL before his eye injury put him out. Werribee had Sam Collins at on end raking in marks and Corbett taking screamer at the other end. Craig Cameron's poker face wasn't enough to stop the Vic Media from going into wild speculation about where he'd go in the Draft, then the Suns hatched their plan for asking the AFL Commission for preselections and got the player that literally every club was interested in.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What are Connor Nutting's deficits because everyone wants him delisted and he doesn't play seniors but always seems to rip it up at NEAFL level?
Also Jack Leslie should leave the Suns
He's get a game in a few AFL level backlines and it seems his card is marked here

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Corbett now has 10 NEAFL goals from 3 games. Ben King had 11 from 6, but he did play back a bit too, while Day has 14 from 9 and also played back a bit.

The question is where to play Corbett? Is Day going to actually play back and chop out, leaving potential for Corbett to play medium tall forward with Wright and King?

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What are Connor Nutting's deficits because everyone wants him delisted and he doesn't play seniors but always seems to rip it up at NEAFL level?
He's get a game in a few AFL level backlines and it seems his card is marked here
I'm not one of the people who think Nutting should go. In fact, I want to see him play seniors and soon because he's kicked 12 goals in the NEAFL from 10 games, but only half of them were playing forward. He's a teenaged, blond Alex Sexton, capable of playing on the outside, very good by foot, with goal sense from anywhere inside 55m. If the Suns delist him then they are mad because he's been one of the best players in the entire NEAFL.
Who was the big guy?#59? rucking for us.Has good hands
Matt Conroy is a Suns Academy U19 ruckman. Played in last year's QAFL Grand Final and was one of the higher rated ruckmen in the NAB League this year. I saw him play the Lions Academy and he booted a pair of lovely long goals to clinch the match. Enjoys having the mozzie fleet whizzing around at his feet - Budarick, Gore, Oea, Crossley - and is only out of the Nationals because they have a quota on U19s. Worth taking in the Rookie Draft.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Hes had a nice few games of late.
He is athletic and a nice looking kick.
Definitely has AFL traits.
Decision making and 'footy smarts' - i.e. knowing where to run can be really poor sometimes.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not one of the people who think Nutting should go. In fact, I want to see him play seniors and soon because he's kicked 12 goals in the NEAFL from 10 games, but only half of them were playing forward. He's a teenaged, blond Alex Sexton, capable of playing on the outside, very good by foot, with goal sense from anywhere inside 55m. If the Suns delist him then they are mad because he's been one of the best players in the entire NEAFL.

Matt Conroy is a Suns Academy U19 ruckman. Played in last year's QAFL Grand Final and was one of the higher rated ruckmen in the NAB League this year. I saw him play the Lions Academy and he booted a pair of lovely long goals to clinch the match. Enjoys having the mozzie fleet whizzing around at his feet - Budarick, Gore, Oea, Crossley - and is only out of the Nationals because they have a quota on U19s. Worth taking in the Rookie Draft.
cheers
I reckon Nutting deserves a go- I really like his dash
The obvious like for like is Darcy Max or Sexxy
I'd rather play him than GHS
Conroy is U19.Wow.Giant of a kid

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Early days, but you'd think Leslie has to make way for the young Academy talent coming through. He'll find a VFL club and could even get into the AFL sooner by leaving than staying. Dirk Koenen would benefit from being given Leslie's spot.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Early days, but you'd think Leslie has to make way for the young Academy talent coming through. He'll find a VFL club and could even get into the AFL sooner by leaving than staying. Dirk Koenen would benefit from being given Leslie's spot.
That's one of those tough decisions for the Club that hopefully(and sadly) will become more regular
Cutting decent players to make way for better talent
I feel for Jack.I reckon if he'd played in Townsville we just might have won that game

Seventeener

Debutant
Jun 16, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hes had a nice few games of late.
He is athletic and a nice looking kick.
Definitely has AFL traits.
Decision making and 'footy smarts' - i.e. knowing where to run can be really poor sometimes.
I agree on the poor running when he plays forward, but that isn't his natural position so give him some time. He'll get his chance and has a higher ceiling than anything he's produced so far. It may be expedient for the club to delist and re-rookie him in order to free up list spots, which seems harsh but after they already did it with 4 players in 2018 you'd think they won't get sentimental. Nutting and Goober will be on notice, among others, to produce results or be put on a slower pathway.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree on the poor running when he plays forward, but that isn't his natural position so give him some time. He'll get his chance and has a higher ceiling than anything he's produced so far. It may be expedient for the club to delist and re-rookie him in order to free up list spots, which seems harsh but after they already did it with 4 players in 2018 you'd think they won't get sentimental. Nutting and Goober will be on notice, among others, to produce results or be put on a slower pathway.
If Holman's back is chronic and can't be remedied with exercise or surgery I wonder what his list status will be EOY.
Interesting

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nutting is not consistent. Today in first half I was not impressed. Then in 2nd half he was very good. He got speed, can kick and put some fantastic tackles on Swans players.
Big difference between NEAFL and AFL. Can he make it in AFL? I am not sure. I leave it to Dew et al.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think what they got it wrong is getting Nutting in ND draft, no other club rated him can easily get him on rookie B list, now he can't even be on Rookie B list. He is a project player should give him two year to three year to develop if he ain't any good follow Corbett and Collins path work hard and get himself in again. If Sheer need to work hard I think Nutting should work harder after what happen to Sheer last year. If you are good enough you will fight your way back after delistment like Collins and Holman.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
He is essentially a copy of Sexton. In all the good ways and bad.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Some high praise for Nutting from NEAFL coaches

Similar to last game for Connor. Some terrific leading patterns through his speed and ability to work hard off the ball. Defensively when the ball was in his area, he applied great pressure. He had the second-most score involvements with eight and hit the scoreboard four times (3.1).

37QxEoy.png

8PyrdmE.png

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lemmens, Riordan are back. No Crossley, Rankine (soreness).

FB 45. J. Dawson 21. J. Leslie 17. C. Ellis

HB 31. J. Murdoch 46. C. Graham 43. J. Murdoch

C 33. G. Horlin-Smith 35. M. Rischitelli 42. C. Nutting

HF 15. A. Young 29. C. Burgess 60. C. Portelli

F 57. R. Buckland 23. S. Lemmens 49. M. Riordan

FOLL 22. T. Nicholls 7. W. Brodie 52. C. Joyce

INT 50. F. Greenwool 59. M. Conroy 61. E. Semaan 54. L. McDonald

EMG 63. P. Murtagh 61. E. Semaan 53. M. Fraser

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lemmens, Riordan are back. No Crossley, Rankine (soreness).

FB 45. J. Dawson 21. J. Leslie 17. C. Ellis

HB 31. J. Murdoch 46. C. Graham 43. J. Murdoch

C 33. G. Horlin-Smith 35. M. Rischitelli 42. C. Nutting

HF 15. A. Young 29. C. Burgess 60. C. Portelli

F 57. R. Buckland 23. S. Lemmens 49. M. Riordan

FOLL 22. T. Nicholls 7. W. Brodie 52. C. Joyce

INT 50. F. Greenwool 59. M. Conroy 61. E. Semaan 54. L. McDonald

EMG 63. P. Murtagh 61. E. Semaan 53. M. Fraser
Murdoch is going to be tired by the end of the game, playing 2 positions...I'm sure they mean 43. McLennan

Back