2nds 2019 Suns Reserves and NEAFL

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yes, the problem with recruiting mature age guys is that grinding out their bad habits is more difficult.

That said, the way Scheer kicks the ball is really bizarre. He's been in the Academy since he was a kid. Weird to think that was never picked up on and corrected. He drops it from waist height with both hands.

IMG_4037.JPG

It is a terrible technique.

Sadly, never going to make it IMO when you can’t kick at afl standard.

He had a little chip on the left during the game that was actually better as he had to guide it the whole way down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, the problem with recruiting mature age guys is that grinding out their bad habits is more difficult.

That said, the way Scheer kicks the ball is really bizarre. He's been in the Academy since he was a kid. Weird to think that was never picked up on and corrected. He drops it from waist height with both hands.
I had a couple of clinics with Kevin Sheedy in the days before Academies when they'd just get the so-called "best" juniors into a session with senior AFL coaches
The one thing that still sticks in my mind was him saying he presumed everyone arrived at Essendon with no skills and the player had to prove he had them unless they wanted to be "re-taught"
I think so many senior coaches jus presume that if you're good enough to go to the Combine you've already attained the appropriate skillset for AFL footy

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
View attachment 729221

It is a terrible technique.

Sadly, never going to make it IMO when you can’t kick at afl standard.

He had a little chip on the left during the game that was actually better as he had to guide it the whole way down.

So much to go wrong with Brad's kicking style!
Compare with this ex-player
Tiny ball drop, head over the ball
Compact stance
3255.jpg

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 7.32.46 PM.png

I wasted an hour and put this together.
Left off Murdoch and Ah Chee but they actually played more games than I thought. ~4-5 each.

Edit: Just looked at it made a mistake with Rischas tackle numbers somewhere - he averaged at least 5 a game.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
View attachment 730813

I wasted an hour and put this together.
Left off Murdoch and Ah Chee but they actually played more games than I thought. ~4-5 each.

Edit: Just looked at it made a mistake with Rischas tackle numbers somewhere - he averaged at least 5 a game.
Jack Leslie 17 games in the NEAFL in a year when we've got no key defenders left in the seniors. Wow.

He epitomises some of our issues we've had. Waste of a first round pick when few even had him even getting drafted. Project player......when talls like Alex Pearce, McStay, Gardiner, Barass, Ben Brown, Lobb all drafted behind him. M Crouch, Merrett few picks after him too.

Clearly he wasn't up to it but we persevered for 6 seasons. Just like we did with Lonergan, Tape, Russell, Shaw & others.
GWS cut their losses pretty quickly with poor draft picks while the currency is still there.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Jack Leslie 17 games in the NEAFL in a year when we've got no key defenders left in the seniors. Wow.

He epitomises some of our issues we've had. Waste of a first round pick when few even had him even getting drafted. Project player......when talls like Alex Pearce, McStay, Gardiner, Barass, Ben Brown, Lobb all drafted behind him. M Crouch, Merrett few picks after him too.

Clearly he wasn't up to it but we persevered for 6 seasons. Just like we did with Lonergan, Tape, Russell, Shaw & others.
GWS cut their losses pretty quickly with poor draft picks while the currency is still there.

Not sure he would have had much currency if he wasn’t deemed draft worthy by many even in his first couple of years.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Lonergan wasn’t too bad just no consistency in his body always suffered soft tissue injuries.. would get one or two games then out for a month

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
My favourite part of the reserves stats is our forwards have actually kicked a few goals this year across both levels. And all of them have basically played the whole year injury free (touch wood)

Sexton 37 goals
King 25 goals
Day 25 goals
Wright 25 goals
Nutting 23 goals
Corbett 19 goals
Macpherson 12 goals

If we had wright / day / king in the forward line all year

Add in 15+ goals from Ainsworth, rankine & macpherson playing more forward than mid

I think it can be a potent forward line next year with another pre-season under the belt and some more continuity.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Clayton’s ambitious plan (experiment) to turn an average underage ruckman into a key defender because he had some pace :rolleyes:

Back