Autopsy 2019. Ten years of Brad Scott.

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first; there's other threads about sacking Brad Scott or just out-and-out sinking the boot in to him. This is not a thread for that. Don't get me wrong - it's also not a thread to applaud the bloke or be his cheerleader. Rather, it's just a thread for reflection. Mods please don't merge.

It has become evident that Brad Scott will unlikely be continuing on as head coach of the NMFC following the start of the 2019 season.

Part of that is exactly because of what 2019 represents for this footy club and this coach - a decade together.
Maybe a more newly hired coach or young coach could survive starting a season looking so poor on the field, but a ten year veteran can not.

Regardless, with his time coming to an end, let's try and evaluate what sort of progress the club has made under his stewardship;

He made two Premiership finals in his ten years, slightly bettering his predecessor Dean Laidley. The club has seen three separate club captains in his time in Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow, and Brent Harvey. Arguably, the quality of leadership and production from the captain has declined in each succession from Harvey, to Swallow, and now to Ziebell who is in career-worst form and a shadow of his pinnacle years.

Off the field, the club has done well financially. Hard to determine with any accuracy how much responsibility for this the head coach should get, but arguable it would be 'low' to 'minimal'.

So, I guess the question I put to BigFooty is this; Has Brad Scott left the NMFC a better club than it was at the start of his tenure?

I ... don't know. It's a great question, but it's difficult to find a way to respond after what we've just watched today.

The club as a whole is certainly in a better position. I don't think anyone can doubt that, the membership concerns this year notwithstanding.

But the question is how much of that is to do with Brad Scott? It's been a collective, foundational effort to secure our club's future, but there's no doubt that Scott has had an important role in that. He came in after the most tumultuous time in the club's history when we needed a steady hand. And, to be fair, he's been nothing if not steady. We've never been awful, we've never been great, which may have been what we needed in the immediate aftermath of the relocation attempt.

But we're 10 years down the line now, and as the club has moved to a more secure place, so should the expectations shift. It's no longer enough to just be steady.

In a nutshell, I guess I'd say that we're in a better place, but I don't know how much of that is down to Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First things first; there's other threads about sacking Brad Scott or just out-and-out sinking the boot in to him. This is not a thread for that. Don't get me wrong - it's also not a thread to applaud the bloke or be his cheerleader. Rather, it's just a thread for reflection. Mods please don't merge.

It has become evident that Brad Scott will unlikely be continuing on as head coach of the NMFC following the start of the 2019 season.

Part of that is exactly because of what 2019 represents for this footy club and this coach - a decade together.
Maybe a more newly hired coach or young coach could survive starting a season looking so poor on the field, but a ten year veteran can not.

Regardless, with his time coming to an end, let's try and evaluate what sort of progress the club has made under his stewardship;

He made two Premiership finals in his ten years, slightly bettering his predecessor Dean Laidley. The club has seen three separate club captains in his time in Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow, and Brent Harvey. Arguably, the quality of leadership and production from the captain has declined in each succession from Harvey, to Swallow, and now to Ziebell who is in career-worst form and a shadow of his pinnacle years.

Off the field, the club has done well financially. Hard to determine with any accuracy how much responsibility for this the head coach should get, but arguable it would be 'low' to 'minimal'.

So, I guess the question I put to BigFooty is this; Has Brad Scott left the NMFC a better club than it was at the start of his tenure?
I believe no doubt he and the board have the club in a better position then we were ten years ago, let’s remember we were close to going to the gc at that stage. That has come from on and off field stability and relative success.
Its a hard sell for us to sit at the bottom of the ladder for years like Carlton have, that would leave us in a much much worse position off the field.
That being said I believe it may be time for a change for both parties, I’m not sure how much more brad has to offer the club and probably vise verca.

He is out of ideas, he has taken us as far as he can. It’s time for change. Not gonna sink the boots in, that’s as far as I’m gonna go. Nothing is improving until we make big calls and shake everything up. Cam Joyce can hit the road aswell.

Our list is going to be ****ed for a while I’d imagine. Going to be a long rebuild. Especially with the likes of Tyson, McDonald and McMillan having decent contracts ahead of them.

Our list management is terrible
Our management is terrible
Our coaches are terrible
Our development is terrible
Our leadership is terrible

The buck stops with Scott and the boys club up top.

We are a cluster *.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back