Autopsy 2019. Ten years of Brad Scott.

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first; there's other threads about sacking Brad Scott or just out-and-out sinking the boot in to him. This is not a thread for that. Don't get me wrong - it's also not a thread to applaud the bloke or be his cheerleader. Rather, it's just a thread for reflection. Mods please don't merge.

It has become evident that Brad Scott will unlikely be continuing on as head coach of the NMFC following the start of the 2019 season.

Part of that is exactly because of what 2019 represents for this footy club and this coach - a decade together.
Maybe a more newly hired coach or young coach could survive starting a season looking so poor on the field, but a ten year veteran can not.

Regardless, with his time coming to an end, let's try and evaluate what sort of progress the club has made under his stewardship;

He made two Premiership finals in his ten years, slightly bettering his predecessor Dean Laidley. The club has seen three separate club captains in his time in Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow, and Brent Harvey. Arguably, the quality of leadership and production from the captain has declined in each succession from Harvey, to Swallow, and now to Ziebell who is in career-worst form and a shadow of his pinnacle years.

Off the field, the club has done well financially. Hard to determine with any accuracy how much responsibility for this the head coach should get, but arguable it would be 'low' to 'minimal'.

So, I guess the question I put to BigFooty is this; Has Brad Scott left the NMFC a better club than it was at the start of his tenure?
It’s an over-arching legacy he’s leaving

One thing that got mentioned by Cameron Ling tonight, and I must say that I agree (usually don't with Lingy but I think he has shown some sympathy towards us), is the tendency of North Melbourne to pigeon hole players, especially midfielders. He didn't implicate Brad Scott or mention him but he spoke about it with reference to Higgins.

He discussed how North lacked class and polish. Higgins had class and polish. We've obviously been instructed to use him on the outside, and despite being in career best form the past few years, he's not actually winning the ball and hitting contests hard. This kind of categorisation of players isn't good for their whole game, nor is it good for the team. And I saw it several times today. There were times when Higgins was around the contest, looked left and right to see if Ben Cunnington was around to win the ball for him, and when he wasn't there...well by that time it was too late.

We've gone and recruited Polec and Hall. Never been great contested ball winners, but they play as if they have almost been instructed not to win their own ball.

We see guys like Ahern, who has a great kick, but whose real strength is in the contest. But when he is played in the midfield, you can see that he's been instructed to remain an outside user of the footy. And then, he's expected to magically turn into a defensive minded mid when we lose the footy?

Why can't Cunnington and Anderson get on the end of a chain every now and then and be the ones to deliver inside 50 (not that I have a problem with what they're doing). Why can't Higgins and Polec win their own ball? Why can't Atley be thrown into the contest to use his skills in congestion, instead of hanging out the back looking for the outside run?

I get that there's a balance to be had in the midfield, but it really does look as if our players have been categorised into becoming robots who must in all circumstances play as the exact type of player the coach envisions them to, rather than playing on instinct complemented by an emphasis on their strengths, it's like they've been programmed.

If you're an opposition coach and you know that Cunners and Jed are going to be the only ones going in hard for the contested ball, and that one or two of Higgins, Ahern, Hall, Polec, etc. will be waiting on the outside to receive at any given point in time, then it doesn't bloody matter if Cunners or Jed win the first ball. All you need to do is make sure that the outside users are under immense pressure if not blocked out completely, and they'll at the very best get a highly pressured disposal off resulting in likely a 50/50 or even a turnover.

Brad’s body language reminds me of someone who has given their employer a months’ notice and is forced to work out the full four weeks.

He’s checked-out emotionally and probably knows hes lost the players.

The only players that would be backing him in would be his golden boys that have full immunity from being dropped.

It’s time for the club to grow some plums and call the Press Conference.

One thing that got mentioned by Cameron Ling tonight, and I must say that I agree (usually don't with Lingy but I think he has shown some sympathy towards us), is the tendency of North Melbourne to pigeon hole players, especially midfielders. He didn't implicate Brad Scott or mention him but he spoke about it with reference to Higgins.

He discussed how North lacked class and polish. Higgins had class and polish. We've obviously been instructed to use him on the outside, and despite being in career best form the past few years, he's not actually winning the ball and hitting contests hard. This kind of categorisation of players isn't good for their whole game, nor is it good for the team. And I saw it several times today. There were times when Higgins was around the contest, looked left and right to see if Ben Cunnington was around to win the ball for him, and when he wasn't there...well by that time it was too late.

We've gone and recruited Polec and Hall. Never been great contested ball winners, but they play as if they have almost been instructed not to win their own ball.

We see guys like Ahern, who has a great kick, but whose real strength is in the contest. But when he is played in the midfield, you can see that he's been instructed to remain an outside user of the footy. And then, he's expected to magically turn into a defensive minded mid when we lose the footy?

Why can't Cunnington and Anderson get on the end of a chain every now and then and be the ones to deliver inside 50 (not that I have a problem with what they're doing). Why can't Higgins and Polec win their own ball? Why can't Atley be thrown into the contest to use his skills in congestion, instead of hanging out the back looking for the outside run?

I get that there's a balance to be had in the midfield, but it really does look as if our players have been categorised into becoming robots who must in all circumstances play as the exact type of player the coach envisions them to, rather than playing on instinct complemented by an emphasis on their strengths, it's like they've been programmed.

If you're an opposition coach and you know that Cunners and Jed are going to be the only ones going in hard for the contested ball, and that one or two of Higgins, Ahern, Hall, Polec, etc. will be waiting on the outside to receive at any given point in time, then it doesn't bloody matter if Cunners or Jed win the first ball. All you need to do is make sure that the outside users are under immense pressure if not blocked out completely, and they'll at the very best get a highly pressured disposal off resulting in likely a 50/50 or even a turnover.

You should put forward your CV Tuesday

He’s checked-out emotionally and probably knows hes lost the players.

Sadly I agree. I appreciate the things Brad has done for the club, we were well and truly a rabble on and off the field when he took over as coach, he brought in the best doctors and focused on in improving our off field as much as the on field stuff. I expect that internally he's held in very high regard and most if not all would be disappointed but understanding if he was removed.

He was exactly the coach we needed to have at the time.

Unfortunately 10 years is a very long time to continually keep the passion to improve, evolve, and inspire the team especially when he's staring down the barrel of yet another rebuild. Best for both parties to move on I think.

Just to follow this up:

North Melbourne Top 5 Mids by Contested Pos. Ave.

1. Cunnington (18)
2. Anderson (10)
3. Higgins (8.8)
4. Dumont (7.5)
5. LDU (7.2)

By Uncontested Pos.
1. Higgins (22.4)
2. Polec (19.2)
3. Dumont (16.8)
4. Hall (14.6)
5. Tyson (13.3)

There are three unique names in each list.

Compare this with the following:

Geelong

1. Dangerfield
2. Kelly
3. Constable
4. Selwood
5. Menegola

and

1. Duncan
2. Dangerfield
3. Menegola
4. Constable
5. Kelly.

One unique name.

Collingwood - one unique name.
GWS - zero unique names.

We've built a bunch of compartmentalised, pigeon-holed robots rather than all-round footballers.

And I just saw in the presser that Scott noticed we actually got the first possession more frequently than the Bombers, yet they still won the clearance. Probably because whenever Cunnington or Anderson won the ball, the Bombers simply knew it was coming to the 'designated' outside player and simply pressured them out of it, forcing an awful disposal or simply just intercepting and taking off with it. That would why we looked so slow and unable to tackle at the stoppage/centre when the Bombers won the footy, or why guys like Cunnington had like 5m gained from 29 touches.

Our midfield plan has been worked out, and we're getting smashed.

Last edited:
Just to follow this up:

1. Cunnington (18)
2. Anderson (10)
3. Higgins (8.8)
4. Dumont (7.5)
5. LDU (7.2)

By Uncontested Pos.
1. Higgins (22.4)
2. Polec (19.2)
3. Dumont (16.8)
4. Hall (14.6)
5. Tyson (13.3)

Geelong

1. Dangerfield
2. Kelly
3. Constable
4. Selwood
5. Menegola

and

1. Duncan
2. Dangerfield
3. Menegola
4. Constable
5. Kelly.

One unique name.

GWS - zero unique names.

We've built a bunch of compartmentalised, pigeon-holed robots rather than all-round footballers.

And I just saw in the presser that Scott noticed we actually got the first possession more frequently than the Bombers, yet they still won the clearance. Probably because whenever Cunnington or Anderson won the ball, the Bombers simply knew it was coming to the 'designated' outside player and simply pressured them out of it, forcing an awful disposal or simply just intercepting and taking off with it. That would why we looked so slow and unable to tackle at the stoppage/centre when the Bombers won the footy, or why guys like Cunnington had like 5m gained from 29 touches.

Just to follow this up:

1. Cunnington (18)
2. Anderson (10)
3. Higgins (8.8)
4. Dumont (7.5)
5. LDU (7.2)

By Uncontested Pos.
1. Higgins (22.4)
2. Polec (19.2)
3. Dumont (16.8)
4. Hall (14.6)
5. Tyson (13.3)

Geelong

1. Dangerfield
2. Kelly
3. Constable
4. Selwood
5. Menegola

and

1. Duncan
2. Dangerfield
3. Menegola
4. Constable
5. Kelly.

One unique name.

GWS - zero unique names.

Really good posts. Every time there’s a write up on centre square combinations we’re always top of the list with the exact same set up... hoping it will work every week and throwing our hands up in the air when it doesn’t (usually). Brad Scott is more stubborn than my Mum but even she would have rolled out a different centre square combo by now and I don’t reckon she even knows what a midfielder is

Really good posts. Every time there’s a write up on centre square combinations we’re always top of the list with the exact same set up... hoping it will work every week and throwing our hands up in the air when it doesn’t (usually). Brad Scott is more stubborn than my Mum but even she would have rolled out a different centre square combo by now and I don’t reckon she even knows what a midfielder is

It goes beyond the centre square combo IMO and points to an extremely rigid midfield structure and the way we coach players. Some players will always be a bit more 'outside' than 'inside' and vice versa, but I don't think it's natural to have a midfield group with such a huge discrepancy between outside and inside - it has to be coached. It could be Brad, it could be the midfield coach (whoever that is these days), I don't know. But it's a very rigid way to mould players.

I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for two expansion clubs being introduced and given compromised drafts in our key development years, we probably would've won a flag under brad. didn't pan out that way, it sucks, but we have to move on and that probably involves getting a new coach with some new ideas.

I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for two expansion clubs being introduced and given compromised drafts in our key development years, we probably would've won a flag under brad. didn't pan out that way, it sucks, but we have to move on and that probably involves getting a new coach with some new ideas.
Yep agree with the new coach part of your statement!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes beyond the centre square combo IMO and points to an extremely rigid midfield structure and the way we coach players. Some players will always be a bit more 'outside' than 'inside' and vice versa, but I don't think it's natural to have a midfield group with such a huge discrepancy between outside and inside - it has to be coached. It could be Brad, it could be the midfield coach (whoever that is these days), I don't know. But it's a very rigid way to mould players.

Oh yeah agreed. It’s just another example of Brad’s inflexibility.

Two times today I saw our players see the ball (Ben Brown and Shaun Atley) and they actually had to convince themselves to go and get it - Brown actually got a goal out of it. It just screamed TEAM RULES that are unrealistic and make no sense, which I suppose is why we have small forwards kicking no goals, inside mids almost never kicking, outside mids allergic to laying a tackle - and *in Dylan Shiel just waltzing down the middle of the field with 18 dickheads watching him? What the *

Scott's been given a lot of time with not much to show other than two underdog prelims in which we were easily defeated.
People seem to forget that we looked a million bucks against the Eagles in that 2015 prelim and were it not for errant kicking from senior players (Waite, Petrie and Harvey in particular) we would have been in that game up to our eyeballs at the final siren.

5.11 at 3/4 time won't win you many games of footyball.

Just like Masons Woods's howler in front of goal in the first quarter tonight, there's not much Brads Scotts can do about that :stern look

Just to follow this up:

1. Cunnington (18)
2. Anderson (10)
3. Higgins (8.8)
4. Dumont (7.5)
5. LDU (7.2)

By Uncontested Pos.
1. Higgins (22.4)
2. Polec (19.2)
3. Dumont (16.8)
4. Hall (14.6)
5. Tyson (13.3)

Geelong

1. Dangerfield
2. Kelly
3. Constable
4. Selwood
5. Menegola

and

1. Duncan
2. Dangerfield
3. Menegola
4. Constable
5. Kelly.

One unique name.

GWS - zero unique names.

Another POTY contender.

Damning stats.

There's more to footy than stats but sometimes they tell the tale of the tape.

You have picked up on something extraordinary. Well done.

I think we are currently the worst team in the league.
Got us to a few prelims in his 10 years on the back of some individual brilliance from the likes of Goldy, Waite, Boomer, not because of his coaching ability.
Has developed very few players, and even those players didn't hold elite form for very long.

People seem to forget that we looked a million bucks against the Eagles in that 2015 prelim and were it not for errant kicking from senior players (Waite, Petrie and Harvey in particular) we would have been in that game up to our eyeballs at the final siren.

5.11 at 3/4 time won't win you many games of footyball.

Just like Masons Woods's howler in front of goal in the first quarter tonight, there's not much Brads Scotts can do about that :stern look

Except its been a consistent problem on its own for years. Our poor goal kicking alone has cost us every season for over half a decade. Its cost us finals and its probably cost us a top 4 position 5 years ago and a GF in 2015 (as much as the umpires did anyway). This year its worse.

The coach needs to take responsibility for that.

Sometimes we had too many go in for it, only for it to get out loose to unmanned *Essendon players.

Basic football IQ into the bin.

If we look at our record under Scott i agree its not great. But....our list was stuffed when he got it, there was a massive hole where youth shouldve been. We over rated our list under Laidley and failed to top up on youth before the GWS and GC monsters took everything for 5 or so years......still are really. We havent even been much a of beneficiary of dislodging players from those 2 clubs.

If we look at our record under Scott i agree its not great. But....our list was stuffed when he got it, there was a massive hole where youth shouldve been. We over rated our list under Laidley and failed to top up on youth before the GWS and GC monsters took everything for 5 or so years......still are really. We havent even been much a of beneficiary of dislodging players from those 2 clubs.

Brad has had 10 years to build a list, he could have turned the list over twice in its entirety.
So f***ing tired of the sh!t list excuss because that's all it is, a great big f***ing Excuss for poor player development and hanging on to players way too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad has had 10 years to build a list, he could have turned the list over twice in its entirety.
So f***ing tired of the sh!t list excuss because that's all it is, a great big f***ing Excuss for poor player development and hanging on to players way too long.

There is no excuse now. Im just pointing out a large chunk of that 10 years he had little chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ 9:37

Journalist: Brad, do you worry that with the number of Friday night games coming up for the rest of the year, do you worry about putting performances like that up again in marquee time slots?

Brad Scott: No

Remove this Banner Ad

Back