Autopsy 2019. Ten years of Brad Scott.

Remove this Banner Ad

The writing was on the wall during the JLT. Our skills and game plan stunk, and they haven't improved 1% since.

It’s astonishing in hindsight Adelaide didn’t want to take the game on. Every time they did, they scored.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

YOU know crocks could be the next pagan he has had to tow brads
Just to follow this up:

North Melbourne Top 5 Mids by Contested Pos. Ave.

1. Cunnington (18)
2. Anderson (10)
3. Higgins (8.8)
4. Dumont (7.5)
5. LDU (7.2)

By Uncontested Pos.
1. Higgins (22.4)
2. Polec (19.2)
3. Dumont (16.8)
4. Hall (14.6)
5. Tyson (13.3)

There are three unique names in each list.

Compare this with the following:

Geelong

1. Dangerfield
2. Kelly
3. Constable
4. Selwood
5. Menegola

and

1. Duncan
2. Dangerfield
3. Menegola
4. Constable
5. Kelly.

One unique name.

Collingwood - one unique name.
GWS - zero unique names.

We've built a bunch of compartmentalised, pigeon-holed robots rather than all-round footballers.

And I just saw in the presser that Scott noticed we actually got the first possession more frequently than the Bombers, yet they still won the clearance. Probably because whenever Cunnington or Anderson won the ball, the Bombers simply knew it was coming to the 'designated' outside player and simply pressured them out of it, forcing an awful disposal or simply just intercepting and taking off with it. That would why we looked so slow and unable to tackle at the stoppage/centre when the Bombers won the footy, or why guys like Cunnington had like 5m gained from 29 touches.

Our midfield plan has been worked out, and we're getting smashed.

This analysis reminds me of end days Laidley where Wells was the designated outside player.

Change cannot come quick enough.

We are clearly stale as a week old bottle of piss.

To the OP

We're in a much better place off field from a stability perspective.

On field we're rudderless and have list holes.

When Brad took over we had a champion in Boomer on the list. I couldn't currently tell you who the equivalent player is. Probably Cunners but it's not evident.

He’s done an ok job, his win loss ratio is about right. 6-12 level coach and that’s all he’s achieved.

The sad thing is the board is happy with this, so problems lie deeper. We need a young, ambitious and innovative coach to drive change himself.

In reality, he was suppossed to leave at the end of 2017. Except we were about to land the biggest fish in the AFL in Dustin Martin and had to at least have a stable environment to sway him over.

People have short memories. The club is undeniably in a better position.

It's time for Scott to leave now.

The club probably is.
The list arguably is.
The team clearly isn't.
Time is up. Sooner the better at the moment because waiting til the last quarter of the season is just wasting more of this year that could be used by a new coach to blood themselves and evaluate what they have to work with under their system.

I see Scott as a master tradesman and he is there to turn all of the apprentices into quality master tradesman who are the best at their craft.

He has failed miserably

Basically all our best players were drafted prior to Scott getting there. Sure he's had a role in their development, but the list of players who have stagnated or not peaked is staggering.

Ziebell hacked away in the middle for nearly a decade.
Bastinac.
Mcmillan.
Atley.
Black.
McKenzie. Hawthorn made Suckling a good player.
MCDONALD.
Wood.
Dumont.
Simpkin.
Durdin.

That's the guts of a team that has not gone anywhere. Im not even including the guys who haven't played.

Who has peaked under him?

Cunnington.
Goldstein
Tarrant.
Thompson.

It's no shock some of our most impactful players in recent years developed at other teams (Waite, Anderson, Higgins, Ahern and probably Pittard and Polec).

You have to fear for the futures of Ahern, LDU, Walker and Thomas.

Overall, administrstively and financially the club is steady and members are still there. But when it comes to the list and the actual football itself, we are in deep s**t. I took a good read through this thread and I think I agree with most. Sorry if I repeat anything in my upcoming rant.

One thing that drives me nuts about north is they're always looking for ways to improve the game as a whole, which is noble (Brad with the 666 rule, Friday night footy, Good Friday footy, no revenue from gambling, community programs etc), but I'm at the point where I think "hey, chill the * out, take a step back, and maybe focus on the reason people are here - to see a good footy team".

And lord knows they did try. New facilities? Check. Stable finances (enough to chuck multiple mega deals at stars to get rejected constantly)? Check. Growing membership base? Yep. Stable insterstate deal? Got it. Solid moral compass? Sure. Staved off relocation? Hell yeah.

So what is wrong? Where are all the guns we were supposed to get? Why did they say no? Why were we resigned to 2nd tier "good players" like Hall or Polec? Why are we 1-4 in a season where we were supposed to be no less than top 8.

Only things left are the team and the coaches. I.e. THE FOOTY.

I'm not saying stop being the type of club we are, I'm really proud of that, but when do we decide to maybe use some of the cash we offer mega stars to come in and save us, or to blow on Gender-Fluid Safe Space Ambassadors or Dwarfed Seagull outreach programms and perhaps get better quality performance staff, admins and coaches?

The footy is "meh". The game plan is "meh". 10 years of Brad being out coached and getting his sides DESTROYED in a couple of prelims over a decade is "meh". That is why north couldn't land a Dusty, or a Kelly, or a Gaff. Not even humungous multi million dollar pay cheques could lure them to North Meh-bourne.

I fear for the attendance and long term success of the club if the board don't show some balls and change it up. I thank Brad for bringing stability and hope to the club when he joined, but he's out of ideas and has been worked out.

Bring in the firing squad.

Basically all our best players were drafted prior to Scott getting there. Sure he's had a role in their development, but the list of players who have stagnated or not peaked is staggering.

Ziebell hacked away in the middle for nearly a decade.
Bastinac.
Mcmillan.
Atley.
Black.
McKenzie. Hawthorn made Suckling a good player.
MCDONALD.
Wood.
Dumont.
Simpkin.
Durdin.

That's the guts of a team that has not gone anywhere. Im not even including the guys who haven't played.

Who has peaked under him?

Cunnington.
Goldstein
Tarrant.
Thompson.

It's no shock some of our most impactful players in recent years developed at other teams (Waite, Anderson, Higgins, Ahern and probably Pittard and Polec).

You have to fear for the futures of Ahern, LDU, Walker and Thomas.

There is no ******* way you can claim Anderson and Ahern developed at other clubs.

Agreed. Scott is super inflexible. Turner move to HB was the right call but one we have all been suggesting for over a year. Maj has never ben backed in (it wasn't his suggestion to play him back) and don't get me started on Atley attending about 5 career centre bounces.

He is a good senior assistant but an average AFL coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My happiest moments involved this footy club, saddest were about this team aswell.

Today when I left I had no real anger, just an acknowledgement we are mile off.

The list needs masive rejuvenation. That means 3 years accumulating top 5 picks and getting some actual talent rhrough the door. Getting left with the Dumonts and Simpkins might jag us an 8th every now and then, but we're not winning anything substantial with this type.

The ONLY positive we have is that in LDU, Tarryn and Bailey we have three potential absolute first rate players and in LDU and Tarryn potentially two blokes who could be top 10 in the comp in five years.

That is if Brad Scott goes, if he stays, they are screwed. It would take a really great coach to maximise the potential those blokes have.

But those coaches exist.

9th
9th
8th
10th
6th
8th
8th
15th
9th
??

This sums it all up for me - mediocre at best. Time to cut our losses and move on before the club starts losing its loyal members.
Mediocrity Personified. I amongst others have been banging on about this for a long time. Sadly the whispers I hear is that the Board thinks that Scotts is still their Man. The Board, as much as they love Scotts, will "soon get it" if we continue down this path. I can't see us beating Port next week. If we loose to Carlton the week after then listen for the Jungle Drums. Boom, Boom, Boom. :stern look

In reality, he was suppossed to leave at the end of 2017. Except we were about to land the biggest fish in the AFL in Dustin Martin and had to at least have a stable environment to sway him over.
I hear this a lot but why would a multi million dollar organisation with being the best in the land as its goal count the chickens before they hatch like that?

The op is probably correct, we needed a steady hand to weather the storm of financial instability and then the expansion raids but that time is passed. It's now time for aggressive bastards who just want to win it all and I'm not at all confident anyone from the chairman to the media team are willing to make that course correction

Mediocrity Personified. I amongst others have been banging on about this for a long time. Sadly the whispers I hear is that the Board thinks that Scotts is still their Man. The Board, as much as they love Scotts, will "soon get it" if we continue down this path. I can't see us beating Port next week. If we loose to Carlton the week after then listen for the Jungle Drums. Boom, Boom, Boom. :stern look
God help us if we lost to Carlton with Brad at the helm, rebuilding trust from the Fairweather members that make up the bulk of the potential membership base is going to be a hell of a fight

I do wonder who came up with Jacobs tagging?

Crocker.

I am less worried about the assistant coaches as it would seem they have very little input into what happens on field.

Scott is a one man match committee.

Brad's all like, the elements are all there, why won't it click, it is like there is some crucial piece of the puzzle missing, whatever it could it be.

Terry Wallace was booted from Footscray after 7 seasons, then did another 6 at Richmond.

Wallace was less than 5 years. And he was told by Capt Chris Newman in the last year that he no longer had the support of the players. Maybe theres something in that for Ziebell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back