Autopsy 2019. Ten years of Brad Scott.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda are missing Carlisle, Roberton - their 2 best defenders. The North fan thing to do is to be like "ah but they aren't even good xD" but their best recent result (2017 - 11th with 11 wins 11 losses, rivalling our 2018) had Roberton 2nd for their B&F and Carlisle 4th. Steven was 6th and is clearly out of sorts.

So missing 2 of their best 6 senior players with a 3rd compromised, managed to work to 4-1.

Which club doesn't have injuries? Hasn't stopped Richmond, Port, West Coast, Hawthorn, Freo, Collingwood who all have equivalent or worse injury lists. Adelaide and Melbourne have worse lists too although they are s**t.
Ben jacobs was in AA form before he went down and majak shat on carlisle.. not even in the same league (2018).. obviously they are able to cover with similar or slightly worse.. we cant cover EVW and Maj let a lone ben jacobs who toweled every player he played on! Including steven! Plus, Jacobs is a very composed and decent ball user! Missing talent off the half back and through the middle! They are massive outs when the depth in defense simply is not there

Last edited:

The thing i've noticed with Bard is that ever since the Round 1 loss to Freo he has separated himself from the playing group in some way in nearly all of his press conferences. It's always been "i'm this..." and "they didn't do that..."

I'd be interested to go back and see some of his other press conferences over his 10 years. Did he speak like that after losses all the time? Is it a recent thing? Does he say "they" even when we win? Might not be a big deal if it's his consistent tone. If it's something hes flipped to this year though?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOIYA!

The thing I can’t stand with the past few years is that We have to be the softest football team. After watching Richmond hunt in packs and give little time to there opponents and even the magpies yesterday. They tackle with intent, they force you with a brand of football that is tough and hard in EVERY LINE. Then we have our beloved north.....
Midfield with no defensive pressure. Other than Jed who wants to hurt and play with that intent. Our forwards do not lock the ball in, from a miss shot I can’t believe how fast it always seems to slingshot to the other end. Our defenders, always miss tackles and what really hurts us here is most our defenders are bad by foot and put us more under pressure e.g Jmac, Lmac, Thompson, Atley, Williams. McKay (still young but tracking to be scary by foot)
Pittard has been known for this but this year has been a shining light down there.

We need to recruit skills in the back half and grunt in the midfield and forward half.

The thing I can’t stand with the past few years is that We have to be the softest football team. After watching Richmond hunt in packs and give little time to there opponents and even the magpies yesterday. They tackle with intent, they force you with a brand of football that is tough and hard in EVERY LINE. Then we have our beloved north.....
Midfield with no defensive pressure. Other than Jed who wants to hurt and play with that intent. Our forwards do not lock the ball in, from a miss shot I can’t believe how fast it always seems to slingshot to the other end. Our defenders, always miss tackles and what really hurts us here is most our defenders are bad by foot and put us more under pressure e.g Jmac, Lmac, Thompson, Atley, Williams. McKay (still young but tracking to be scary by foot)
Pittard has been known for this but this year has been a shining light down there.

We need to recruit skills in the back half and grunt in the midfield and forward half.
I’ll give you that but you have to exclude 2018! 2018 we saw massive effort in that part of the game! Thats why we are all so disappointed.. we all witnessed potential and we havent seen one passage of play the resembled anything from last year

I'm pretty sure it's been said but the Buckley directive of putting it all on the players is hopefully a tactical masterstroke.

As the ultimate barometer of the coach the players either front up which means putting the heat was the right move or if they don't then the inability of the coach to engage them properly can be focused on.

It shouldn't need to come down to this 10 years and 6 weeks in but it is what it is so hopefully that's the thinking.

I think that stat is score assists.
I think he's one of many blokes who could be refreshed with a new coach looking at him without preconceptions. A la Wellsy after Laidley funnily enough.
I just wrote this in the Kayne Turner thread. Not that I'm at all comparing Turner and Wells, but if memory serves Wells was refreshed under Scott by being allowed to play more contested and not being seen as a pure outside receiver.
And * me dead but what is our current game plan so laughably seen through by half-decent opposition?

I'm pretty sure it's been said but the Buckley directive of putting it all on the players is hopefully a tactical masterstroke.

As the ultimate barometer of the coach the players either front up which means putting the heat was the right move or if they don't then the inability of the coach to engage them properly can be focused on.

It shouldn't need to come down to this 10 years and 6 weeks in but it is what it is so hopefully that's the thinking.

It 9 years and 6 weeks in.

Not that it changes anything for me but (as usual I guess) this season it seems to me every little thing is magnified, then exaggerated to reinforce how s**t Brad is. Its full on group think/mob mentality.

(I do agree with the rest of your post btw.)

I just wrote this in the Kayne Turner thread. Not that I'm at all comparing Turner and Wells, but if memory serves Wells was refreshed under Scott by being allowed to play more contested and not being seen as a pure outside receiver.
And **** me dead but what is our current game plan so laughably seen through by half-decent opposition?
What Bard did with Wells is the opposite to what he is now doing with Polec, Hall and now Higgins who are all instructed to be outside receivers. It has especially hurt Higgins' game even though his stats look good.

What Bard did with Wells is the opposite to what he is now doing with Polec, Hall and now Higgins who are all instructed to be outside receivers. It has especially hurt Higgins' game even though his stats look good.
Spot on.
Scott has regressed in a lot of ways. Another thing I remember him banging on about in the early days is teaching players to be on-field leaders and good decision-makers. But I think we just about are the worst decision-makers in the league. The no runners rule change really hurts us. There is no latitude, no instinct, nothing outside the God awful plan and it shows.
Who ever the next coach is that's what I want- somebody who can teach young men to make good decisions in an overarching game plan.
And skills, * me we have to get better with our skills. I refuse to believe they could not be improved over all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no excitement at north even though we actually have some really exciting youngsters and players with talent. It feels just the same old every single game i.e. beaten in the center, huff and puff and claw back somewhat and still get beaten in the critical moments and lose the game against the better teams. We are a 3 quarters team in that we always seem to go missing in one of the 4 quarters to either let the opp get back into the game or get blown out completely. If i am a player looking for a new club, i would not look at North but carlton as things look stale down here.

We need to change things up a lot, north melbourne is too much stick to what we know where real growth happens when we go fully into the unknown. We are too predictable, our greatest weakness is the predictability, so the very first thing Rhyce needs to do as a full time coach is to introduce dynamism and unknown into the game-play. We need to generate chaos and on top of that add in our traditional 90s old school bruising contest. Only in chaos will our lesser midfield (by comparison to top 4) can gain ascendancy, only then will ziebell and cunnington can become potent weapons as they revel in close.

Introduce a fleet of new players into the mid by that i mean.....
- Atley must be on-ball as his only real asset is run and not decision making.
- zurhaar, garner, thomas must absolutely spend time in the middle if not on ball.
- Woods at half back flank, less pressure on him to perform and he will perform significantly better.
- 2 key forward in brown and larkey on big open grounds and on small ones, larkey is the 2nd ruck.
- Ziebell as the medium sized power forward, he should be in the mid sparingly and used in general stoppages around the games. He is a great weapon to have either at the half forward line or in the goal square. Brown while he is bigger should be seen as the mobile forward where his greatest asset is his running leaping mark, unstoppable. Ziebell much better in 1-v-1, ideally against a small defender for mismatch purposes. If someone puts a top key sized defender, then drag him out to half foward to exploit their speed and also maximize ziebell's booming kick.
- Cunnington needs more regular forward presence, his time in the forward line should be to wait until the ball is ready to be in a general stoppage situation then his true skill comes in. He is a complete liability in center clearances but devastating powerful during close quarter general play. In someways, ziebell and cunnington should be forward half players for their disposal skills are s**t hence risks are minimized here.
- Ahern in defense is a great leap forward, mcmillan completely useless = ditch, mcdonald perhaps 3rd tall.

We got all the assets for a really good season just that a lot of the current players need to be in different positions to get to the next stage of their career.

There is no excitement at north even though we actually have some really exciting youngsters and players with talent. It feels just the same old every single game i.e. beaten in the center, huff and puff and claw back somewhat and still get beaten in the critical moments and lose the game against the better teams. We are a 3 quarters team in that we always seem to go missing in one of the 4 quarters to either let the opp get back into the game or get blown out completely. If i am a player looking for a new club, i would not look at North but carlton as things look stale down here.

We need to change things up a lot, north melbourne is too much stick to what we know where real growth happens when we go fully into the unknown. We are too predictable, our greatest weakness is the predictability, so the very first thing Rhyce needs to do as a full time coach is to introduce dynamism and unknown into the game-play. We need to generate chaos and on top of that add in our traditional 90s old school bruising contest. Only in chaos will our lesser midfield (by comparison to top 4) can gain ascendancy, only then will ziebell and cunnington can become potent weapons as they revel in close.

- zurhaar, garner, thomas must absolutely spend time in the middle if not on ball.
- Woods at half back flank, less pressure on him to perform and he will perform significantly better.
- 2 key forward in brown and larkey on big open grounds and on small ones, larkey is the 2nd ruck.
- Ziebell as the medium sized power forward, he should be in the mid sparingly and used in general stoppages around the games. He is a great weapon to have either at the half forward line or in the goal square. Brown while he is bigger should be seen as the mobile forward where his greatest asset is his running leaping mark, unstoppable. Ziebell much better in 1-v-1, ideally against a small defender for mismatch purposes. If someone puts a top key sized defender, then drag him out to half foward to exploit their speed and also maximize ziebell's booming kick.
- Cunnington needs more regular forward presence, his time in the forward line should be to wait until the ball is ready to be in a general stoppage situation then his true skill comes in. He is a complete liability in center clearances but devastating powerful during close quarter general play. In someways, ziebell and cunnington should be forward half players for their disposal skills are s**t hence risks are minimized here.
- Ahern in defense is a great leap forward, mcmillan completely useless = ditch, mcdonald perhaps 3rd tall.

We got all the assets for a really good season just that a lot of the current players need to be in different positions to get to the next stage of their career.

Agree with a lot of this. We have a lot of ingredients but pigeon hole most players so can never find the right recipe. Atley in the middle is the clear example here.

All fair enough, in essence. Although, what your proposing will, most likely, get flogged regularly, if it transpires. However, I suppose it’s a different way to get flogged and that’s, probably, really what it’s all about around these parts. I’m just hoping that Shaw has a plan that can stand up for four quarters. After that, it’s a matter of confidence and talent. Two things that have larger question marks against them right now. Ziebell was good up forward, then he was crap up forward, then he was good back in the middle, then he was crap in the middle again. Cunnington was a near certainty AA in middle. Now, apparently, he’s a liability. What gives? I’m, obviously, missing something. After the Hawthorn game, all was positive. We get beaten at the Cattery - the skies fallen in... It goes on...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

All fair enough, in essence. Although, what your proposing will, most likely, get flogged regularly, if it transpires. However, I suppose it’s a different way to get flogged and that’s, probably, really what it’s all about around these parts. I’m just hoping that Shaw has a plan that can stand up for four quarters. After that, it’s a matter of confidence and talent. Two things that have larger question marks against them right now. Ziebell was good up forward, then he was crap up forward, then he was good back in the middle, then he was crap in the middle again. Cunnington was a near certainty AA in middle. Now, apparently, he’s a liability. What gives? I’m, obviously, missing something. After the Hawthorn game, all was positive. We get beaten at the Cattery - the skies fallen in... It goes on...

People are panic merchants.

A few thoughts as I sit here waiting for the game to start... taking into account our injuries, bad luck with umpires, etc., it has still been an exercise in abject carelessness that we have not won 4 extra games at this juncture. That means it’s borderline criminal that we’re not 12-8 right now facing two more very winnable games. That would have entrenched us in the eight. Oh, and BS would be our coach. How would we all like that!!??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back