No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority isn't always right, but when the majority of people independently come to the same conclusion you've got to ask yourself- "Which is more likely: I am legitimately smarter and more informed than all these people; or I may be misinterpreting the situation".

People these days have this weird notion that "unique thinking" or "unconventional approaches" are a good thing. On the weight of averages the "conventional approaches" are conventional because that's been found systematically to be optimal.

Freethinker bullshit just leads to misinformed dickheads claiming that everyone needs to respect their outrageous viewpoint because it's their "opinion".

And yes, I may have just been dealing with antivaxxers and have an axe to grind (or a vax to grind some might say) but my rant stands.
Its a footy forum not the UN. Group think individual rants, who cares. Eldo says that tbere is no brotherhoid but then examines who likes certain posters posts?

Appreciate the attention from both sides.

I can only comment on what is posted & if we had two major plays this off season & they both failed.... sorta would look like Carlton wouldn’t it.
I don’t know what has transpired behind closed doors but I can still have an opinion.

Ive been on Patton for a couple of years as a potential positive for Hawthorn & I’m pretty sure when I first raised the idea was scoffed at for the view.
Picking up a 3 x knee reco player is far from ideal but certainly worth a punt having missed on Lynch.

Frost, depth & surely a player who would be viewed as a top up target if the true trades were managed.

Rolling out the young list to view is something that I have also been consistent with yet again scoffed at & when the tide turned because the kids were performing the play the kids gets tucked away.

Now as far as I can tell for the last couple of seasons I have been pretty consistent with play the kids & trade a couple of players, fingers crossed we landed a FA. All very positive about where the list may have been headed.
Being labeled pessimistic is just downright laughable.

My view is different to some & in line with others & I honestly read all of the comments with respect & consideration.

I will probably end up eating my words but if said players don’t perform, do we get to re visit this or will it be tucked away?
Just curious

Again, I think this trade period could have been a significant sep to the next decade as a top 4 contender consistently by adding pick 1 or 2 as well as taking Fin & a couple of late picks.
Next season could have been a points accumulation to get academy kids.

This time next season the horse would have bolted on serious trade currency.
Only time will tell.

Its a footy forum not the UN. Group think individual rants, who cares. Eldo says that tbere is no brotherhoid but then examines who likes certain posters posts?

Are you sure you should be named after milkshakes and not cool-aid?

Appreciate the attention from both sides.

I can only comment on what is posted & if we had two major plays this off season & they both failed.... sorta would look like Carlton wouldn’t it.
I don’t know what has transpired behind closed doors but I can still have an opinion.

Ive been on Patton for a couple of years as a potential positive for Hawthorn & I’m pretty sure when I first raised the idea was scoffed at for the view.
Picking up a 3 x knee reco player is far from ideal but certainly worth a punt having missed on Lynch.

Frost, depth & surely a player who would be viewed as a top up target if the true trades were managed.

Rolling out the young list to view is something that I have also been consistent with yet again scoffed at & when the tide turned because the kids were performing the play the kids gets tucked away.

Now as far as I can tell for the last couple of seasons I have been pretty consistent with play the kids & trade a couple of players, fingers crossed we landed a FA. All very positive about where the list may have been headed.
Being labeled pessimistic is just downright laughable.

My view is different to some & in line with others & I honestly read all of the comments with respect & consideration.

I will probably end up eating my words but if said players don’t perform, do we get to re visit this or will it be tucked away?
Just curious

Again, I think this trade period could have been a significant sep to the next decade as a top 4 contender consistently by adding pick 1 or 2 as well as taking Fin & a couple of late picks.
Next season could have been a points accumulation to get academy kids.

This time next season the horse would have bolted on serious trade currency.
Only time will tell.

Your posts act like we turned away a bunch of players/picks or refused to pay for them. Sometimes deals just ain't happening and you move on to other things.

I've said a lot of s**t that turned out to be right too, I've also said a lot more s**t that turned out to just be a bunch of s**t.

The difference between you and I is that I have the self-awareness to realise the latter.

If the other mob would only take our 4 best players, was it still a disaster to say no? That's a weird call PhatHQ without knowing what we tried.

If you lose 3-4 of your best players and a couple high draft picks, how are you set for long term success by bringing in ONE draft pick - regardless how good the player?

Tom Mitchell 26
Jarman Impey 24
James Worpell 20
James Sicily 24
Mitchell Lewis 21
Jon Patton 26
Jaeger Omeara 25
Connor Nash 21
Blake Hardwick 22
Chad Wingard 26
Tim Obrien 25
Changkuoth Jiath 20
Jack Scrimshaw 21
Jackson Ross 20
Ollie Hanrahan 21

Not exactly falling off a cliff in a year or so I wouldn't think...??????
Reckon that's 15 I'd be confident we'll be building our next contender around, and there's some older cream that could still make a tasty contribution...

Those are all players I reckon can WIN their position in an AFL battle.
Pretty exciting in my eyes.
Hard to understand how others don't think so.

add same frost to that list 26............it needs some good additions, we can start with nailing pick 11 and getting Finn in....a free agent like Whitfield would also help

Your posts act like we turned away a bunch of players/picks or refused to pay for them. Sometimes deals just ain't happening and you move on to other things.

I've said a lot of s**t that turned out to be right too, I've also said a lot more s**t that turned out to just be a bunch of s**t.

The difference between you and I is that I have the self-awareness to realise the latter.
I’m sure you do

Richard Douglas as depth I can live with - we’re obviously looking for at least one experienced body since we were also mentioned with Masten. Robbie Gray at his age is much more useful to the likes of the Cats or Pies than us.
Douglas retired.

I’d think he may be in line for a coaching/development role.

Douglas retired.

I’d think he may be in line for a coaching/development role.

I’m not sure he officially came out and said he was retiring. It seemed more like he was pushed into it as he was told he wouldn’t be offered a contract with the Crows for 2020. In a radio interview following this, he did say that he was keeping the door open as he felt he had at least another year or 2 in him.

The majority isn't always right, but when the majority of people independently come to the same conclusion you've got to ask yourself- "Which is more likely: I am legitimately smarter and more informed than all these people; or I may be misinterpreting the situation".

People these days have this weird notion that "unique thinking" or "unconventional approaches" are a good thing. On the weight of averages the "conventional approaches" are conventional because that's been found systematically to be optimal.

Freethinker bullshit just leads to misinformed dickheads claiming that everyone needs to respect their outrageous viewpoint because it's their "opinion".

And yes, I may have just been dealing with antivaxxers and have an axe to grind (or a vax to grind some might say) but my rant stands.
That’s a very unique and unconventional way of looking at it.......:D

Then why aren't we reigning premiers? There are obviously multiple things we need to work on, otherwise we wouldn't have finished outside of the top 8.

Got nothing to work on mate we are Hawthorn, it's just a freakish set of circumstances that have happened to make us go 4 seasons without a finals victory.

On a side note that Clarkson meeting with Douglas better be a catch up between mates or some sort of coaching role discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got nothing to work on mate we are Hawthorn, it's just a freakish set of circumstances that have happened to make us go 4 seasons without a finals victory.

On a side note that Clarkson meeting with Douglas better be a catch up between mates or some sort of coaching role discussion.

Douglas from Seymour so I’d assume he’s coming back to Victoria, would assume it’s a coaching role as he wouldn’t be in our best 25-26 players. Maybe a playing/coaching role at Box Hill? From all reports he’s a ripper bloke, may be good for the kids at VFL level.

There’s that language again - “better be”

What are you going to do - storm Waverley and lean over the fence and yell at Clarko

We have no control - just chill and watch what unfolds

Douglas from Seymour so I’d assume he’s coming back to Victoria, would assume it’s a coaching role as he wouldn’t be in our best 25-26 players. Maybe a playing/coaching role at Box Hill? From all reports he’s a ripper bloke, may be good for the kids at VFL level.

Was Douglas the Astrophysicist, or was that van Berlo?

Shame we missed out on Robbie Gray if the rumors are true. Could've been our next Stewie Dew and allowed Wingard to play full-time midfield.
Considering he and Chad don't get along, that he has a big contract and his age I'm not sure why you'd want him

Oh you mean aside from our best midfielder missing an entire season, our KPF options falling in a heap, losing multiple-premiership irreplaceable players and the young replacements not yet being up to snuff?

The mental gymnastics that take someone from interpreting "I think our improvements are ok" to "We don't need to improve any more" are impressive.

So we lost buddy for almost nothing. Roughead gets cancer and is robbed of the rest of his career, Rioli retires early, Birchall gets injured for 3 years, our veterans come to the end of their careers and we’ve had no good picks for a decade because we’ve been too good and managed to avoid bottoming out. The list has Plenty of talent and we’ve hardly seen any of our younger guys yet. We might not win the flag next year but if we keep adding players through trading And clever drafting we’ll give it a shake in the next few years. Then look at Carlton and Melbourne. Can only imagine the meltdowns our negative supporters would have following a team like that.

I love telling idiot campaigners that they don't actually have a right to free speech in Australia and watch their heads explode.

It depends on the threshold you set for qualifying something as a right. If you mean a codified grant then no one specifically had a right to free speech until 1787. But if you qualify a right based on tradition and common law, then British subjects (outside of the colonies, the entire point of the American Revolution being that American subjects did not enjoy the same individual liberties as English subjects) have enjoyed that right since 1688/89. Many say 1215 with the Magna Carta but it wasn't a ratified common law position until 1689 with the Glorious Revolution. In truth, the British Bill of Rights established the rights of Parliament, but in practice they established the rights of individuals (as actors of Parliament).

(Just thought I could add to the train wreck which this thread has become)

EDIT: Of course, if you agree with Thomas Jefferson and believe that rights are endowed by the Creator then everyone everywhere has enjoyed these rights, the only question being which governments when have recognised and protected those inherent and inalienable rights.

Last edited:
It depends on the threshold you set for qualifying something as a right. If you mean a codified grant then no one specifically had a right to free speech until 1787. But if you qualify a right based on tradition and common law, then British subjects (outside of the colonies, the entire point of the American Revolution being that American subjects did not enjoy the same individual liberties as English subjects) have enjoyed that right since 1688/89. Many say 1215 with the Magna Carta but it wasn't a ratified common law position until 1689 with the Glorious Revolution. In truth, the British Bill of Rights established the rights of Parliament, but in practice they established the rights of individuals (as actors of Parliament).

(Just thought I could add to the train wreck which this thread has become)

EDIT: Of course, if you agree with Thomas Jefferson and believe that rights are endowed by the Creator then everyone everywhere has enjoyed these rights, the only question being which governments when have recognised and protected those inherent and inalienable rights.
Should bookmark this and dust it off same time next year.

Thanks also for the history lesson do Gophers go into hibernation over winter to allow you to study that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back