List Mgmt. 2019 Trade, Draft, Free Agency UltraThread

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, people jumped on 'not matching' and assumed that meant he could just walk out the door.

GWS as is prudent will do the best thing by GWS. They won't hold a gun to Coniglio's head and force him to stay, but they will look to get the best return should he elect to go. The compo tops out at a single first round pick so offering squillions doesn't benefit either club. GWS could get pick 15-20 as compo, or they could try and get something better than that from us. Also footy is a closed system, so even if they got our pick instead of a compo pick that's essentially the same that's taking from a rival rather than from the AFL cookie jar. They aren't petty but if the scenario was reversed would we want a rival signing Gaff or McGovern and having a first round pick when we could get that pick off them?

IMO the biggest win for GWS will come from academy bidding, either getting in ahead of any players bid on or trading down and then back up the order.
Yes. You are on the money there.
They are after Tom Green, Matt McGorrey and Liam Delahunty from their academy and it's going to take a swag of picks to get them all over the line.
Some smart trading offers could result in GWS willing to talk turkey.
The looming problem is not so much Coniglio as they have about 10 quality mids; It is Cameron who is a free agent next year. This will require salary cap space and a Haul Pack full of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Darling set to sign on ..." Eagle for life " rumours of WB definately just a rumour .
Fresh contract talks have already started , lock him in !!
Was always very unlikely to happen. WA boy playing for the best WA team in a flag window going to a bottom 8 team in Victoria.

eagles rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Was always very unlikely to happen. WA boy playing for the best WA team in a flag window going to a bottom 8 team in Victoria.
The money $$ may have been tempting and could have slotted in well at the Bulldogs with Naughton ,Schache up forward and made the Bulldogs a genuine Top 8 —4 team ..

I’m glad he stays though and could really break out when JK retires ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Makes sense to trade Brander for Kelly but damn what a waste. Could’ve just the same result taking Allen and Kelly with our first two picks, as many of the Phantoms predicted.
Couldn't agree more. We could've had Kelly on our list in both 2018 and 2019 for far less than what we will have to pay him now. This is unfortunate for Kelly as well - could've been a 2 time premiership player at the end of 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't agree more. We could've had Kelly on our list in both 2018 and 2019 for far less than what we will have to pay him now. This is unfortunate for Kelly as well - could've been a 2 time premiership player at the end of 2019.
Problem was back then Tim was just a WAFL plodder with poor skills. Literally the exact kind of player that we avoid.

Eastcoasteagle

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Who would you take at Pick 17 that’s available from MOckdraft ?

Hard to pass up on Jackson as I think he's the only elite talent left so far, but he's not one of our priority needs as we took Williams last year. Similar athletic profiles too, I'd see if he fell to our next pick (Swans 2nd round).
Rivers another strong consideration, as he's very very good player but had he played some midfield minutes through the champs I'd be more likely.

I think we need a good young all round midfielder, as Foley, Ainsworth, O'Neil aren't convincing me and Brayshaw needs a clean run of footy to get a good view on him. So Schoenberg would be my pick, rather than just looking like Luke Shuey he actually plays plays like him (can play inside and outside). Speed, but is also the first to every stoppage, nice kick and hands plus can accumulate, second to Robertson for most disposals over the championships averaging 27, 4.8 marks, 4.8 tackles and 5.8 clearances. Watching him over the championships, he had so much impact on every game for SA.

Added a little video I found on him.

But Monocle has someone else in mind I reckon.

Last edited:

eagles rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Hard to pass up on Jackson as I think he's the only elite talent left so far, but he's not one of our priority needs as we took Williams last year. Similar athletic profiles too, I'd see if he fell to our next pick (Swans 2nd round).
Rivers another strong consideration, as he's very very good player but had he played some midfield minutes through the champs I'd be more likely.

I think we need a good young all round midfielder, as Foley, Ainsworth, O'Neil aren't convincing me and Brayshaw needs a clean run of footy to get a good view on him. So Schoenberg would be my pick, rather than just looking like Luke Shuey he actually plays plays like him (can play inside and outside). Speed, but is also the first to every stoppage, nice kick and hands plus can accumulate, second to Robertson for most disposals over the championships averaging 27, 4.8 marks, 4.8 tackles and 5.8 clearances. Watching him over the championships, he had so much impact on every game for SA.

But Monocle has someone else in mind I reckon.
I like Harry Schoenberg uses the ball really well by hand and foot ..He can also step through traffic..
At this stage I would agree ..

On Monocle he will probably go Jeremy Sharp as a guess he seems to be tanking a little imo and would be Wce selection if available ..

Eastcoasteagle

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I like Harry Schoenberg uses the ball really well by hand and foot ..He can also step through traffic..
At this stage I would agree ..

On Monocle he will probably go Jeremy Sharp as a guess he seems to be tanking a little imo and would be Wce selection if available ..

I really like Sharp, but reckon he might slide to our next pick so I'd wait.

As Monocle's pick next up, and I can't give anything away. He'll go Cooper Stephens, Vic Country co captain but missed the champs with a broken fibula. Inside mid who was touted to go 14-18 in draft at start of year.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Makes sense to trade Brander for Kelly but damn what a waste. Could’ve just the same result taking Allen and Kelly with our first two picks, as many of the Phantoms predicted.
You have to remember though - many thought that us taking Oscar Allen at 13 would've been a reach (considering our needs). Many on here wanted mids with our first picks, and there were actually a couple melts (if I remember correctly). Personally, I wished we'd taken him with our first, since I knew Kelly wouldn't last past Geelong.

amazingjoshy

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Problem was back then Tim was just a WAFL plodder with poor skills. Literally the exact kind of player that we avoid.
Except if you watched him at all in 2016 & 2017 he was the exact opposite of that. People that did knew that his game would translate well to AFL, maybe not this well however.

eagles rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
I really like Sharp, but reckon he might slide to our next pick so I'd wait.

As Monocle's pick next up, and I can't give anything away. He'll go Cooper Stephens, Vic Country co captain but missed the champs with a broken fibula. Inside mid who was touted to go 14-18 in draft at start of year.
Would drafting a injured Midfielder early put Wce off picking up another injured player in Garcia ??
One although not ideal is acceptable but two injured players would be pushing our luck ..

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Except if you watched him at all in 2016 & 2017 he was the exact opposite of that. People that did knew that his game would translate well to AFL, maybe not this well however.
Stupid for not using a rookie pick on him when we first thought he was a chance to be any good.

amazingjoshy

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not in 2017. Think we got all those picks from GCS specifically for Allen (if he slided), Kelly and Ryan.
I'm certain we did that GC trade with Kelly and Ryan in particular in mind.

Sliding doors and all that, but if Brander (who we rated super highly) wasn't available at 13 we probably would have gone Allen, then when Allen was still available at our next pick we couldn't miss out on him. Then when the Cats jumped on Kelly we probably went earlier than expected to not miss out on Ryan as well.

Who knows how it would've worked out had Brander already been taken, but considering we won the flag I'm pretty happy with it.

Max zero

Premium Platinum
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah and he got drafted at the end of 2017.

His 2016 was nothing special.

Top Bottom