List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I dont like the idea of getting an extra player in the mid season draft for a few reasons .

We have enough depth in our list already

We have young talented players needing game time at afl level .

Whoever we pick probably wont even get a game this year .

We need to keep all the $ we have for end of year targets in coniglio or kelly .

If we take a wafl player from another team just to play them in the beagles it will rock the boat unnecessarily when we are trying to do the opposite

Depends on if you are looking to target a mature age player that could cost a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the up and coming draft like Tim Kelly did. Or a kid who was rated highly but missed due to injury and has now come good.

You get it right you land a 2nd rounder using a rookie pick.

If you get it wrong it is only a six month commitment.

Regarding a WAFL player it has akrewdy been agreed they stay with their current club for the remainder of the year. They train with us but if they dont play AFL they play with their current EAFL club.

As to the other players on our list if they are good enough and work hard enough reward follows. That isnt a reason to ignor a free hit.

Last edited:
Id imagine there would be an independent assessment of injuries by the AFL before being placed on the LTI.

Otherwise more sides would just Game the system to get a mid year draft pick, it can’t be that simple surely.
This is the AFL we're talking about right? They make the rules up as they go, they probably haven't even decided how the draft is going to run yet

This is the AFL we're talking about right? They make the rules up as they go, they probably haven't even decided how the draft is going to run yet

They pick and choose things to follow through on, so much inconsistency

Id imagine there would be an independent assessment of injuries by the AFL before being placed on the LTI.

Otherwise more sides would just Game the system to get a mid year draft pick, it can’t be that simple surely.

I wouldn’t have thought so. Keep in mind all these players have already been passed over multiple times - I’m sure most clubs would rather develop their kids they picked but aren’t close to the AFL team yet, over adding someone they’d already passed just in case they’re a surprise packet.

Updated thoughts on Tim Kelly:
1.) We need Free to actually win and play finals, the better they finish the close their first round pick is closer to ours and makes it harder to Geelong to trade him there
2.) He's probably going to finish top 3 in Brownlow which raises value even more
3.) We need to play venables for the rest of the year and bump his trade value

Updated thoughts on Tim Kelly:
1.) We need Free to actually win and play finals, the better they finish the close their first round pick is closer to ours and makes it harder to Geelong to trade him there
2.) He's probably going to finish top 3 in Brownlow which raises value even more
3.) We need to play venables for the rest of the year and bump his trade value

Let Freo over pay if they want.

Kelly is good, but he's not as good as Yeo/Shuey the last two weeks. Angus Brayshaw came third in the Brownlow last year, how's he going?

We just need to keep building and try to go back to back. That's the best bargaining position we can be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let Freo over pay if they want.

Kelly is good, but he's not as good as Yeo/Shuey the last two weeks. Angus Brayshaw came third in the Brownlow last year, how's he going?

We just need to keep building and try to go back to back. That's the best bargaining position we can be in.

I don’t think the equation is whether he’s better than Yeo or Shuey though.

The equation is whether he is better than whatever we’d get with let’s say pick 12 this year and 10 next year. At his best, yes, you’d absolutely say odds are he’d be better than either of those players ever turn out to be.

The next question then - is seven years of Kelly worth a potential 20 years combined from those two players? They both might be busts and be done in six years total. They both might have great careers and play for ten years each. That’s a tougher one, comes down to how well you think the club drafts, but Kelly not being as good as Player X that we have now isn’t really relevant in my mind.

We don’t need to self impose a cap on how much talent is on our list just because we won with it as is.

The equation is whether he is better than whatever we’d get with let’s say pick 12 this year and 10 next year. At his best, yes, you’d absolutely say odds are he’d be better than either of those players ever turn out to be.

The next question then - is seven years of Kelly worth a potential 20 years combined from those two players? They both might be busts and be done in six years total. They both might have great careers and play for ten years each. That’s a tougher one, comes down to how well you think the club drafts, but Kelly not being as good as Player X that we have now isn’t really relevant in my mind.

We don’t need to self impose a cap on how much talent is on our list just because we won with it as is.

Also depends on how he fits into the team and if we then with another premiership with him in the side. As of right now if geelong asked for venables and our first rounder i'd be seeing venables off at the airport myself.

We want to go to trade week as premiers, not as a team with a missing piece. We want to have pick 18 (pre devaluation), Sydney's 2nd and our 2nd (~40) as currency this year.

If Freo miss finals and have a better pick good for them. They got Hogan and Lobb let year but gave up Neale. We're not giving up Yeo who is our equivalent, that's silly. We want Coniglio, Kelly, Martin, whoever wants to join us not not at any cost.

Pickett selected by Richmond. Surprising move given he is out of action for 8-10 weeks and they already have injured players.

Richmond have read the tea leaves - Martin is going to the Baldivis Brumbies and Pickett will be his replacement. Richmond shoring up a leaking boat in 2020.

Pickett selected by Richmond. Surprising move given he is out of action for 8-10 weeks and they already have injured players.

Pickett and Stack the two most talented WA players who went undrafted last year. Richmond seem to be making it work for Stack; hope they can do the same for Pickett. But it’s a big call to draft an injured player with a young family to move interstate. Good luck to player, club and family...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know the kelly family, mum, dad and brothers, Tims miserable as is his partner, Lovely people, has a younger brother who only started playing this year who will be a gun
Incredible how he can still seperate his footy with his personal life. Most times you see a drop off in form when players are not happy outside of footy.

Kelly acquisition might prolong Shuey's career. On the weekend Shuey was playing HFF at stoppages and making a serious impact (he started that Allen goal) and that could be a position for him going forward. He's just incredible around the big sticks and should have way more impact when used in burst.

In fact Kelly/Yeo/Shuey can rotate through the forward line and have an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back