List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been said for almost 10 years that Geelong were going to fall off a cliff, they just don't. Having a strong culture like they do will always keep them in the mix.

They were in a downfall though before they lucked out and Dangerfield decided to come home which propped them back up.
Stanley 29
Touhy 30
Ablett 35
Taylor 33
Smith 29
J.Selwood 31
S.Selwood 29
Duncan 28
Rohan 28
Henderson 30
Hawkins 31
Dangerfield 29

Majority of the above is there core players, unless they luck out and have a top 3 player in the comp move to them again in the next few years they are in for some pain.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
10th is not bottoming out.

3 years of poo (2008-2010) and a spoon was bottoming out.

Getting good kids, picks etc and few years in the system they deliver a flag.

Its a long process but if we dont win another flag in the next 3-4 years history says we will be closer to another bottoming out than a rise.

Ive said before in my lifetime we are averaging a flag every 8 years. I think most clubs would take that.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you want to? He sucks.

He has one weapon, similar to Petch, and that is outpace his opponent running back towards goal. That's it. Other than that one trick, he's not AFL standard.

No disrespect meant to Petch either. He's only in his second year, compared to Pickett who's failed to add anything else to his arsenal after 5 seasons.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Why would you want to? He sucks.

He has one weapon, similar to Petch, and that is outpace his opponent running back towards goal. That's it. Other than that one trick, he's not AFL standard.

No disrespect meant to Petch either. He's only in his second year, compared to Pickett who's failed to add anything else to his arsenal after 5 seasons.
I agree,thought he was drafted way too high,he'd have to put in a couple of good seasons in the wafl to be considered again

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
We’d want to hope O’Neil, Foley or Williams turn out to be more than role players.. I think that’s the most disappointing thing about the whole saga for me. Yes we might have stood our ground.. but did we actually get anything useful doing it? Yes we kept the picks but it’s all worthless if we go and blow them anyway. Looking like we’re going to have to give up our first and second at minimum this year for Kelly. So they get the pick they wanted in the deal last year anyway, the other picks we kept have more than likely just given us a couple of role players.. and that all would have netted us a top 10 player in the league in our position of greatest need..

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
We’d want to hope O’Neil, Foley or Williams turn out to be more than role players.. I think that’s the most disappointing thing about the whole saga for me. Yes we might have stood our ground.. but did we actually get anything useful doing it? Yes we kept the picks but it’s all worthless if we go and blow them anyway. Looking like we’re going to have to give up our first and second at minimum this year for Kelly. So they get the pick they wanted in the deal last year anyway, the other picks we kept have more than likely just given us a couple of role players.. and that all would have netted us a top 10 player in the league in our position of greatest need..
And paying him 300k per year more.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

We had 22 and 23 and ended up using 28, 31, 35 and gaining an extra second round pick this year that looks like being in the 20s.

It's not a terrible result and no one actually knows whether 22 + 23 + 2019 1st + 2019 2nd + Simmo's first born child would've made any difference anyway. A lot of speculation being reported but I don't think they had any actual intention of trading for what we had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
We had 22 and 23 and ended up using 28, 31, 35 and gaining an extra second round pick this year that looks like being in the 20s.

It's not a terrible result and no one actually knows whether 22 + 23 + 2019 1st + 2019 2nd + Simmo's first born child would've made any difference anyway. A lot of speculation being reported but I don't think they had any actual intention of trading for what we had.
Yeah that was part of my point. We did all the fancy dealing but it looks like we’re going to have to give up that Sydney second and our first, at minimum, anyway. At best, from standing our ground, the only profit we have made is getting that extra pick for Williams. The entire desicion basically hangs on at least 2 of our 2018 second round draftees becoming above average players. I do agree, it’s speculative whether they would’ve traded him anyway.. but that was their counteroffer, surely they aren’t declining their own offer.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Much easier to say after a loss, but I kind of agree.

There’s no way Geelong would be top of the ladder right now without Kelly IMO, and it’s difficult to imagine us not being a much stronger prospect.

As it stands right now, the decision for Kelly to stay at Geelong in 2019 is set to have a significant bearing on the result of the season.

Their ageing side knows this is the best opportunity they have for a flag and that’s driving them with the same irresistible momentum that drove 2016 WB and 2018 Melbourne (until we broke them).

If we managed to pry out Kelly, assuming that was a possibility, I reckon Geelong doesn’t perform close to this level. Long term those picks/players traded would have benefitted them. But by then Ablett would be maxy

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't mistake Geelong FC for their fans. Geelong are usually reasonable to deal with, their fans are nuffies who don't get how trading works.

Not trading Kelly for a year has worked out well for them so far but if he wants out this year and doesn't want Freo their fans won't get their two top 10 picks nonsense.
2 top 10 picks ? Wtf

By the end of the year we will be throwing in andrew gaff aswell

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
William's looks like he's been playing well and Foley has been ok. Those two I think will work out to be handy players for us. I'm not sure on Exxon yet.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Tom Green is a gws academy prospect likely to go top 3. So we could trade gws our two second round picks this year for one of their first rounders (got one off bombers). Then use that first round and our first round pick for Kelly.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah that was part of my point. We did all the fancy dealing but it looks like we’re going to have to give up that Sydney second and our first, at minimum, anyway. At best, from standing our ground, the only profit we have made is getting that extra pick for Williams. The entire desicion basically hangs on at least 2 of our 2018 second round draftees becoming above average players. I do agree, it’s speculative whether they would’ve traded him anyway.. but that was their counteroffer, surely they aren’t declining their own offer.

What ground did we stand? All of the reported offers are unconfirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back