List Mgmt. 2019 Trade, Draft, Free Agency UltraThread

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Id rather go for Coniglio as he can be that leader in the midfield. He will only cost us salary cap and we get to keep our picks , all we need to do is get creative with the salary cap which id back us to be able to do so.
Coniglio is the superior player. Been doing it longer, runs both ways and has shown he can perform in finals and in sides so bad they only win 1 or 2 for the year. Geelong fans would cry that it's a knock on Kelly but he simply doesn't have the same experience at AFL level, hence he he was completely tagged out of games by Matt De Boer and didn't know how to fight through it like a 70, 80, 90 gamer would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kane249

New cup, who dis?
Oct 27, 2006
Behind enemy Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Id rather go for Coniglio as he can be that leader in the midfield. He will only cost us salary cap and we get to keep our picks , all we need to do is get creative with the salary cap which id back us to be able to do so.
Coniglio is a restricted free agent, if GWS matches then we are forced to do a trade.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
How does the 1% of the salary cap thing work ?
1% of the salary cap is $125k. That is about all you need to sign one player for one year.

The average value of the contract isn't a factor. If we signed Coniglio for $900k per season over 8 seasons all we need to do is pay him $7.2m in that time period. We don't need to find any more than the $100k ish for 2020.

It's a silly system because it just gives strong teams the ability to borrow from the future. A salary capped competition doesn't want Lynch joining Richmond, Scully and Wingard joining Hawthorn, Beams joining Collingwood and Coniglio/Kelly joining WC. It is supposed to limit movement of players to the good teams that are theoretically paying their players more. Instead of teams saying 'OK everyone take a bit less than you could get on the open market so we keep a core together' a club can just have a great list in 2019 and then add another player or two for 2020 and effectively pay them in 2021, 2022 and beyond. Clever use of the rules but the rules themselves don't help their intended purpose.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
15 min water taxi from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gunners Lakers Scorcher Claremont
Cogs as an unrestricted FA would be free in trade currency but as a restricted FA, GWS wikll be able to and I believe would match any reasonable offer. Unlike St Kilda or Norf who have cap space to burn, I am seeing the players GWS have let go that will allow them to keep the core of what they have left (they may let Paton go cheap to free up space). Therefore an offer or $1 mln pa by us would be matched and I believe we would need 2 first round picks to satisfy GWS.

Cogs is the ducks nuts in my shopping list. He offers inside grunt, clearance ability, is a goal kicking mid, can play as an accountable midfielder and is very handy resting forward. In addition to that, he ticks the "family and friends" columns and is just needing to come to us to tick the flag column.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
GWS are better off just trading with us if Coniglio wants to leave. Depending on what academy bidding they have to do we could accommodate them with some kind of deal better than a single compo pick.

Balls In

Premiership Player
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Here we go - Perth Now running with a story that Gerard Heally has Kelly set for the "biggest payday in history" and Geelong getting two first round draft picks minimum.

Last edited:

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2019-why-tim-kelly-is-set-for-the-greatest-pay-rise-in-afl-history-wherever-he-plays-in-2020-ng-1e97f9fa7261bf8c439f96b7f1dc844f

LOL

“From about $250,000 to somewhere north or south of a million bucks.”

So from a rookie salary to not a rookie salary. Excellent journalism. 5 stars.

"That could mean if Geelong does trade the midfield gun, it could receive multiple first round picks in return."

Or it could mean that they could not.

Sigh, I miss when journalists actually reported on something other than hypotheticals about other people's opinions on hypotheticals.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Who wouldve thought that kelly could be harder to fit into the salary cap than coniglio!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

E92_

Aug 10, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
I wasn't in the country during the trade period so I'm not fully aware of what went down at the trade desk, but what were we offering vs what were they asking? Was it feasible to get him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monocle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Western Suburbs : Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont. New England Patriots.
I wasn't in the country during the trade period so I'm not fully aware of what went down at the trade desk, but what were we offering vs what were they asking? Was it feasible to get him?
We offered our two second rounders and this years second.

Cats wanted this years first and our two second rounders from last draft.

It mattered naught what we offer them last yeas as the Cats had no intention of ever trading him.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Technically speaking we had a first and second rounder last year both in the early 20s.

Makes no difference in terms of order of selection but 23 being Rd 1 and 24 being Rd 2 affects the 2 in 4 years thing.

Eastcoasteagle

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Good thinking and I like that idea :thumbsu: , you can also add Geelong Falcons, Cooper Stephens into the mix as well at that point in the draft.

He is a not getting as much love on draft boards as he should , due to the fact that he has missed the championships as a result of a leg fracture in April.
He is the Falcons Captain and keep an eye on his form in the TAC Cup, in the final stretches of the season as his injury was a 6-8 week out.
Good Colac boy, Luke Hodge and Aaron Finch territory. Good leaders

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cats-get-creative-in-effort-to-keep-kelly-20190612-p51x31.html

Sounds like all the idea we had at trying to keep Judd. One being Judd lives in Melbourne but flys to Perth for home games lol
'Savy Geelong list managers' f#@*ing LOL'D my arse off.

Ok if he doesnt go for five years or one year lets offer him 1 + 1.

Duh! How f#@*ing savy do you need to be to work that one out.

Cats need to offer $200k per year just as an incentive to live away from home, Perth. So that $800k offer is what the WA club will pay.

Pony up $1m a year min for five years with an option for Kelly to be granted a trade to his preferred club for an agreed trade value and Geelong might get their man.

Who wrote that article? The script writers of GOT season 8?

Rowan18

All Australian
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
'Savy Geelong list managers' f#@*ing LOL'D my arse off.

Ok if he doesnt go for five years or one year lets offer him 1 + 1.

Duh! How f#@*ing savy do you need to be to work that one out.

Cats need to offer $200k per year just as an incentive to live away from home, Perth. So that $800k offer is what the WA club will pay.

Pony up $1m a year min for five years with an option for Kelly to be granted a trade to his preferred club for an agreed trade value and Geelong might get their man.

Who wrote that article? The script writers of GOT season 8?
That article basically confirms Kelly is gone. If he doesn't want to be there long term he won't want to be there for another 12 months either.

I can't remember the last time a list manager came out and openly discussed the terms and $ of an offer for a current player. Clearly Wells is starting trade negotiations in the media and is desperately trying to stick to getting 2 first rounders. Good luck considering he is uncontacted.

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
That article basically confirms Kelly is gone. If he doesn't want to be there long term he won't want to be there for another 12 months either.

I can't remember the last time a list manager came out and openly discussed the terms and $ of an offer for a current player. Clearly Wells is starting trade negotiations in the media and is desperately trying to stick to getting 2 first rounders. Good luck considering he is uncontacted.
Astute post👏

WCE_phil

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
so 2 firsts, a second and a player for an uncontracted player with 2 years in the system who is desperate to come home. Crazy. I would find it very, very amusing if we just offer what we did last year. this years 2 second rounders and our second rounder next year.

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
He's coming home I reckon, now that another of his kids has been diagnosed with autism. But I definitely think he's willing to go to Freo if that is a means to come home. They'll have the better first round pick, but we'd have the substantially better second rounder.

Top Bottom