List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good are Cats fans?

From their own D&T thread:

Gonna be a lonnnng year. I admire how disconnected they are from reality when it comes to drafting and trading compared to fans other clubs, it's really something.
So if I have my contracts right
Sheed 2021
Gaff 2023??
Allen 2020/1 signed extension
Duggan 2020/1
Barrass 2021/2
Darling 2022

An OOC player for one of our premiership stars under contract lel.

Ps Geelong I’m also taking the piss xxxx

Can you blame him?

But really, SA is totally fine. I mean they were free-settled remember, kinda like WA, but you know more special or something. And Hahndorf - that's fun, SA is just fiiiiiinnne.

Hahndorf and the Barossa Valley are nice spots. i lived in Adelaide for 2 years - it's a nice place. I really don't understand the shitmixing it gets.

Brissie are the sort of side that if everything clicks they could do a hawks 2008 kind of season. The talent is there, they have talented pillars front and back and a strong experienced ruck.

They'd need a couple of the young guys like Rayner, Berry and McLuggage to step up to top tier level or close to straight away through the middle but the pieces look to be there for rapid improvement.

I think it's more likely they have a strong start to the season before tailing off in the last third. They are a genuinely huge danger game for us round 1.

Yeah Adelaides a nice place. It’s fun to make fun of it here and there but it has its perk. That said I’m a big city person.

What do we think of Jake Patmore as a potential rookie option in the future? I read just now he’s done an ACL, and I remember him being a fairly late pick for port... he’s obviously no guarantee to still be on that list by the time he gets back to footy and they have plenty of midfield options.. WA lad. Worth a look?

Jokes aside with the Gellong faithful and what they expect to receive for Kelly if he in fact comes to us.

They may well find that they missed the boat last year by standing their ground.

I suspect that when we went hard at acquiring Kelly last year we were convinced that Gaff was gone.
Now we all know that didnt eventuate.

A year can be a long time and things could well look dramatically different for us and our trading requirements and priorities.

The way some of the youth are stepping up we may be embarrassed by emerging talent.

If we had to make a choice as to who our priority was and Coniglio is available then I would hope he was top of our list.

Kelly would be a valuable addition but he would not be as much of a need now that Gaff has resisted defection.

We effectively offered the Cats three second rounders for Kelly and they knocked it back wanting a first and two seconds.

Now a Kelly out of contract is worth a lot less than he was with a year left on his contract.

Reality is I can’t see us ponying up much more than Sydney’s second round pick and a fringe player like Nelson.

Geelong won’t like that but that’s the price they pay for being belligerent and vindictive and not trading him out.

Our needs will be different at seasons end and so will be our trading strategy.

Will Kelly ever get to WC ..... time will tell.

But I think in the fullness of time Geelong's refusal to trade Kelly last year may be seen as having bitten then on the arse.

Last edited:
Jokes aside with the Gellong faithful and what they expect to receive for Kelly in he in fact comes to us.

They may well find that they missed the boat last year by standing their ground.

I suspect that when we went hard at acquiring Kelly last year we were convinced that Gaff was gone.

A year can be a long time and things could well look dramatically different for us and our trading requirements and priorities.

The way some of the youth are stepping up we may be embarrassed by emerging talent.

If we had to make a choice as to who our priority was and Conoglio is available then I would hope he was top of our list.

Kelly would be a valuable addition but he would not be as much of a need now that Gaff has resisted defection.

We effectively offered the Cats three second rounders for Kelly and they knocked it back wanting a first and two seconds.

Now a Kelly out of contract is worth a lot less than he was with a year left on his contract.

Reality is I can’t see us ponying up much more than Sydney’s second round pick and a fringe player like Nelson.

Geelong won’t like that but that’s the price they pay for being belligerent and vindictive and not trading him out.

Will Kelly ever get to WC ..... time will tell.

But I think in the fullness of time Gellongs refusal to trade Kelly last year may be seen as having bitten then on the arse.
I don’t reckon we’ll get him

I don’t reckon we’ll get him

And if we don’t get him I am fine with that. We just keep drafting and replenishing from within with new draftees .

Jokes aside with the Gellong faithful and what they expect to receive for Kelly in he in fact comes to us.

If we had to make a choice as to who our priority was and Conoglio is available then I would hope he was top of our list.

Not sure the extra year will change much. We should still be looking to add another readymade midfielder while we're able to challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the extra year will change much. We should still be looking to add another readymade midfielder while we're able to challenge.

Don’t disagree with getting another quality Mid and as I said Cogs should be our number one target not Kelly.

We don’t know who is going to blossom this year .
If you told most of us this time last year that in twelve months time Rioli and Flying were starting 22, with Rioli looking like he would take some midfield time..... plus Sheed would arrive as a player and Hutch would become one the leagues best taggers .

We might have believed that Yeo had another level in him.

Who knows how quickly OAllen , Snake , Petch and Brander come on.

Not saying we don’t look at picking up Kelly but we won’t be paying silly draft currency to get him.
I am actually very happy we didn’t cave in to Geelongs demands last year as two seconds for him was enough.

And if we don’t get him I am fine with that. We just keep drafting and replenishing from within with new draftees .
Agree -
hopefully a cluster of second round picks (about x 4) including the first and second pick of day two of the draft would be an interesting scenario.
images (11).jpeg

It's all sarcasm, apparently.

But I'm still not seeing any sensible trade suggestions being proposed.

They dont want to discuss this until later. All too painful for them.

What I found interesting wqs their interest in Brayshaw as a sweetener. Will he get a game this year? We would need some injuries or undeniable form from him in the WAFL for that to occur you would think.

I know it's BigFooty trade week 101 but Kelly can enter the national or pre-season draft. A 25 year old who has played two seasons and only wants to return to Perth won't be picked up in the first round. Sure he might end up at Freo but that still ensures a move back to WA. If a Victorian player walked out of Freo citing homesickness would we burn a first round pick on them? Of course not. Clubs are terrified of first round picks being two year propositions once let alone twice.

Geelong were within their rights to seek an "exceptional deal" last year but that card has been played and we didn't fold.

They dont want to discuss this until later. All too painful for them.

What I found interesting wqs their interest in Brayshaw as a sweetener. Will he get a game this year? We would need some injuries or undeniable form from him in the WAFL for that to occur you would think.

They don't get drafting and trading. Must be something in the water. Every club has nuffy fans but collectively they just have a different understanding of reality to everyone else when it comes to this area. I remember at least 1 or 2 wanting to send Nathan Vardy to the draft rather than give him a token pick trade here. Wat?

Brayshaw was pick 68 in the draft and hasn't played a game. Not sure what the appeal is given Allen/Brander (who aren't for sale) were downgraded in value relative to their draft position last year but each to their own!

TK gets to us with WCE proffering either:
2 x 2nds or
WCE's 1st for Geelong's 2nd and TK

Brady stated in an interview straight after the trade period that Geelong were going to get more if he was traded last year, instead of this year.
Geelong acknowledged that.
WCE acknowledged that Geelong acknowledged that.

I think its 2 x 2nd's which is why we went for Sydney's future 2nd so hard.

Didn't we head hunt him before his contract was up?

If thats true, then thats a masterstroke on our behalf.
Redden and brisbane mutually decided that a trade could happen a year before free agency as long as brisbane got a good deal and redden got to choose his club .

Redden choosing us came out of left field and it was a combination of professional club who just played in a grand final and his mate Yeo's very easy transition to a new team .

Let’s not kid ourselves. If Kelly has an outstanding season, Geelong will not be giving kelly and their second for our first. Especially if that puck starts at say 15 and slides 2-3 places as per usual.

We will offer our first and second. Whilst kelly is out of contract, he isn’t a free agent. Yes we can talk about all the hypotheticals of how he can get to us, that occur very rarely and are still risky themselves. Freo and Geelong have no interest in making it easy for us.

The problem we have with our midfield is that Masten, Shuey and Redden are all in that 29/30 bracket come years end. Shuey has the smarts & skill to play well into his 30's even once his athleticism drops off, but it's not inconceivable that all 3 will decline at the same time.

Getting Kelly is an easy solution to this. And if the young mids we drafted in the last 2 years step up, that much better.

I don't feel we'll screw Geelong over, we'll come to the table with a reasonable offer like we did 2018. Only difference is that this time Geelong will accept (after the obligatory stalling to delude their fans that they negotiated hard).

Yeah Adelaides a nice place. It’s fun to make fun of it here and there but it has its perk. That said I’m a big city person.
Yep adelaide is nowhere near as bad as people say . I have had to go their for work on multiple occasions , the people are friendly there is lots to do , nice beaches, great pubs and the barrossa is outstanding

They don't get drafting and trading. Must be something in the water. Every club has nuffy fans but collectively they just have a different understanding of reality to everyone else when it comes to this area. I remember at least 1 or 2 wanting to send Nathan Vardy to the draft rather than give him a token pick trade here. Wat?

Brayshaw was pick 68 in the draft and hasn't played a game. Not sure what the appeal is given Allen/Brander (who aren't for sale) were downgraded in value relative to their draft position last year but each to their own!

They basically see Angus and Andrew benig decent and then rate Hamish as possibly being as good so worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back