List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets say we manage to free up a rookie spot before the midseason draft, who do we go for?
I like mitch hibberd or corey gregson.both would fill a need
Otherwise i think oliver eastland or ajang ajang if your looking for a developing ruckman

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I’ve seen a bit of Oliver Eastland and he deserves to be in the conversation to draft - but not for us. He is undersized to AFL ruck and would be ideal for a team looking to play a KPP who has a spell in the ruck. St Kilda would be a suitable club.

For me - our cupboard is pretty bare for inside mids ready to impact at AFL. Marlion Pickett would be a candidate. Given it is a 3 month free hit, I’d go Jye Bolton but there must be something about him that is stopping 18 clubs from going for it.

I’ve seen a bit of Oliver Eastland and he deserves to be in the conversation to draft - but not for us. He is undersized to AFL ruck and would be ideal for a team looking to play a KPP who has a spell in the ruck. St Kilda would be a suitable club.

For me - our cupboard is pretty bare for inside mids ready to impact at AFL. Marlion Pickett would be a candidate. Given it is a 3 month free hit, I’d go Jye Bolton but there must be something about him that is stopping 18 clubs from going for it.

Pickett would add good depth in both defense and midfield.

Would go a fair way to ensuring we secure Kelly as well I would suggest them being good mates.

Six month contract but no guarantees.

I really don't like the idea that players could be pushed into retirement for mid season draft picks.

I'd limit the selections to LTIs only or players who've retired preseason.
Can see it happening a lot. Guys like Frase given an extra year as security, fail to crack a spot in the first half of the season so are pushed out, and then spend the rest of the year trying to find a suitor for next year.

I really don't like the idea that players could be pushed into retirement for mid season draft picks.

Whilst I somewhat agree with what you are saying, teams/players knew the mid-season draft was coming so they may well have been upfront with some players and it isn't much different to what happens at the end of every season. Pure speculation (and if they didn't on this occasion, they sure should in the future), say to a fringe player or servant of the club, they get one more year but we may ask you to retire mid-season if you haven't made the team/we have the need for a player. If players know where they stand, I don't see an issue with it, particularly for someone like Frase or an older player that has been kept on a one year contract purely for depth. It would be harder to motivate for younger players of course.

Frase could have been de-listed anytime after his first couple of years and has been a great servant, but he must know he isn't breaking into the team, at least not on any long term basis and knows he is likely to not get a renewal at the end of this year.

What is the difference in retiring now versus at the end of the season, 16 weeks later?

If the club is sure a player won't be retained why wait? The only benefit is the feel good factor and the Hawks have shown every team what its view on that.

Been thinking it would be almost negligent to ignore this mid season draft as in reality after seeing someone improve in current season playing state league you potentially could snap up a Tim Kelly for the cost of a rookie pick. Plus address a potential area of need.

Its a six month free hit to take a punt versus keeping a player for another 16 weeks who knows his papers have been stamped.

Club needs to be practical and also proactive in this but also remain sensitive to all players welfare.

Because you are really really concerned or because we don’t have anyone we can push into retirement?

I’m more concerned about the latter!

What is the difference in retiring now versus at the end of the season, 16 weeks later?

If the club is sure a player won't be retained why wait? The only benefit is the feel good factor and the Hawks have shown every team what its view on that.

Been thinking it would be almost negligent to ignore this mid season draft as in reality after seeing someone improve in current season playing state league you potentially could snap up a Tim Kelly for the cost of a rookie pick. Plus address a potential area of need.

Its a six month free hit to take a punt versus keeping a player for another 16 weeks who knows his papers have been stamped.

Club needs to be practical and also proactive in this but also remain sensitive to all players welfare.

Adding further to your points a AFL team could trial a particular player that they were interested in and get 6 months training into them for the following year ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fraser McInnes is a meme.

He's been on our list since the 2011 draft and has played 14 games over 4 seasons out of 8.

Since he's been on the list we've brought in: Giles, Hickey, Vardy, Sinclair, Petrie, Allen, Brander, Brooksby. A mixture of rucks, ruck/forwards and forwards. When we knew we would be without Naitanui and Lycett for a year and Sinclair had already gone bit Frase played... *drum roll* 2 games.

Right now he would be probably be 5th choice key forward and 4th choice ruck. Seems like a ripper bloke and all the players love him but we are actually taking the piss. I usually have no interest in players outside of watching them play but I would love to sit down with him one day over a beer and here about his time at WC. If it was basketball he'd be one of those guys that is 12th on the roster and gets token minutes when the team is up by 35.

Is pickett injured?
Anyway i forgot about my personal favorite
Luke meadows!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fraser McInnes is a meme.

He's been on our list since the 2011 draft and has played 14 games over 4 seasons out of 8.

Since he's been on the list we've brought in: Giles, Hickey, Vardy, Sinclair, Petrie, Allen, Brander, Brooksby. A mixture of rucks, ruck/forwards and forwards. When we knew we would be without Naitanui and Lycett for a year and Sinclair had already gone bit Frase played... *drum roll* 2 games.

Right now he would be probably be 5th choice key forward and 4th choice ruck. Seems like a ripper bloke and all the players love him but we are actually taking the piss. I usually have no interest in players outside of watching them play but I would love to sit down with him one day over a beer and here about his time at WC. If it was basketball he'd be one of those guys that is 12th on the roster and gets token minutes when the team is up by 35.
He's got more footy trophies in his cabinet than the Cockburners FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back