List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear for Masto beyond the short term.

First it was drop Masten. Now it's de-list Masten. By the end of the season he could be a flayed man hanging from the walls of House Hungrytiger.

Next progression/regression is actually trading Masten to Fremantle.

Next progression/regression is actually trading Masten to Fremantle.

It’s the only way freo can get premiership players on their list

I'm fixated, and adamant on picking up marlion pickett now. FFS fraser, get off our list.
Draft order published on afl.com.au and eagles don't have a pick.
Cue Pickett tearing it up for a Vic club and us having to trade 2 first round picks to get him across in a year's time.

We have a good injury list with no season ending injuries and a premiership winning list almost . Why would we need mature agers ?

We have so many young guys we need to pump games into .

If i was going to use the preseason draft it would be for over agers that were unlucky to miss out the year before. Eg ainsworth

Draft order published on afl.com.au and eagles don't have a pick.
Cue Pickett tearing it up for a Vic club and us having to trade 2 first round picks to get him across in a year's time.

I still don’t understand why we saw Smith as a better rookie option over Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that. Don't think he'll ever make an impact for us at AFL level and he'll probably be delisted at the end of the year. Don't mind the Edwards selection though.
It looks to me as if Smith and Foley were drafted to aim for Masten’s position. That’s not working out too flash so far but it’s early days for Foley.

McInnes seems like the kind of guy a bottom team would pick up in a mid season draft. I suspect some good players will get a shot, but the majority will be role players at best.

Frase has proven to be above the WAFL level but not quite good enough for AFL. A bottom side that needed a key tall/ruck cover could do worse than him to be honest. Heck, even the bombers could use him given their ruck stocks. If Zac Clarke can get a game there, so would Fraser.

McInnes seems like the kind of guy a bottom team would pick up in a mid season draft. I suspect some good players will get a shot, but the majority will be role players at best.

Frase has proven to be above the WAFL level but not quite good enough for AFL. A bottom side that needed a key tall/ruck cover could do worse than him to be honest. Heck, even the bombers could use him given their ruck stocks. If Zac Clarke can get a game there, so would Fraser.
Frase is still on the senior list. He ain't going anywhere.

Frase is still on the senior list. He ain't going anywhere.
I know that- but there’s plenty that want him to retire so we can get into the draft.

Which was my point, actually. We’d be losing depth for only a chance that player becomes more than depth. Unless a player had a career ending injury I don’t think it’s worth getting involved in.

So here is the outline for the U18 Carnival
View attachment 673660
I am not going to speculate about Coniglio or Kelly, it's a good time to see what we might get with what are essentially 3 good earlish picks with picks 12, 21 and 30. I can see that GWS have a prospect in Green who is tipped to go early but not seeing much on other academy prospects or F/S that would significantly disrupt the first 30 picks.

Last November, I was not overly happy with either Foley (we got the wrong Luke Rohan) or Skinny X but we will back in the system and assume they are two developing outside mids. I am not see enough yet from Brayshaw or Ainsworth to believe we have great prospects coming up so I am wanting to get right into re-stocking with some quality inside/balanced midfielders.

With the carnival and possible colts games, here are some names to consider that I think will be around the 10 to 25 mark.

SA - Stephens and Mead
WA - Sharp and Robertson (nephew of D Glass)
Tas - O'Neill
VC - Serong, Stephens and Rantall

I caught up with Monocle at the Claremont v EF game and Sharp played wing. Some have him as a defender, some as outside midfielder. I saw enough of a 17 year old playing against the Tigers seniors to believe he will move this year to midfield and I would call him a balanced midfielder. He will also be a possible wing and or Whitfield type attacking HBF.

Anyway, there are names that I will be hoping we look at. I think the asking price for either Kelly or Cogs will be 2 first rounders, assuming we can land the deals.
Chad Warner looks good at one of those second rounders, got a bit of Sloane about him.

It looks to me as if Smith and Foley were drafted to aim for Masten’s position. That’s not working out too flash so far but it’s early days for Foley.
That's what I thought. Smith is a running machine who doesn't stick tackles or have great game impact. Someone who can run all day, provide a link option from minute 1 to minute 120. Sort of like Masten.

Love him or hate him, Masten's career is approaching an age/time ending and if we want someone doing that specific role, then we had to plan for it. And (again, if we want like for like) then Smith or Foley may be the man.

If we want a different style of wingman, then Petrucelle on one wing, Gaff on the other is an option. Or Gaff/MAllen.

Can players retire and then nominate for the mid season draft? Ie a McInness essentially leaving us for Richmond?
Was thinking something like this. Are we going to see clubs let a few players know early that they’re not required and they then go and “retire” before coming out of retirement at the conclusion of the season to potentially be picked up by someone else? I’m sure there’s rules about this somewhere but who knows being the AFL.

We have a good injury list with no season ending injuries and a premiership winning list almost . Why would we need mature agers ?

We have so many young guys we need to pump games into .

If i was going to use the preseason draft it would be for over agers that were unlucky to miss out the year before. Eg ainsworth
You'd like us to draft Ainsworth again?

I fear for Masto beyond the short term.

First it was drop Masten. Now it's de-list Masten. By the end of the season he could be a flayed man hanging from the walls of House Hungrytiger.
Gulp...you don't mean down in that dark...gimp room? (no-one deserves that)

It’s the only way freo can get premiership players on their list
Plenty of open space to patrol there!!...miles and miles, years and years!
Roaming the vast empty wastelands of Freo's unsuccessful history!
But does Masto deserve that? Freo certainly do!

So here is the outline for the U18 Carnival

I am not going to speculate about Coniglio or Kelly, it's a good time to see what we might get with what are essentially 3 good earlish picks with picks 12, 21 and 30. I can see that GWS have a prospect in Green who is tipped to go early but not seeing much on other academy prospects or F/S that would significantly disrupt the first 30 picks.

What's the depth of quality like in this years pool? Would we be better off keeping 3 picks in the top 30 or look to trade 21 & 30 for an earlier pick (points wise, they're worth pick 9. So lets say trade up for pick 10-12).

We already have Brander, Waterman, Foley, Neill, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, O'Neill, Williams, MAllen, Cameron and Edwards who are all <21 years old.
And with our premiership window open, we're probably in the "quality over quantity" boat right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back