List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Draft order published on afl.com.au and eagles don't have a pick.
Cue Pickett tearing it up for a Vic club and us having to trade 2 first round picks to get him across in a year's time.
FML. Aren't they able to gain a pick if a spot on their list opens up before the deadline? I think its like 27 May or something...

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
What's the depth of quality like in this years pool? Would we be better off keeping 3 picks in the top 30 or look to trade 21 & 30 for an earlier pick (points wise, they're worth pick 9. So lets say trade up for pick 10-12).

We already have Brander, Waterman, Foley, Neill, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, O'Neill, Williams, MAllen, Cameron and Edwards who are all <21 years old.
And with our premiership window open, we're probably in the "quality over quantity" boat right now.
Interesting question on depth. I was on record that last year was s strong year and people disagreed. I still believe it had 20 to 30 really good picks and lots of most things. I think pundits get enamoured as to the top 10 and think that defines it. Let’s face it, McCartin, Boyd, Weitering have not lived up to their hype.

First thing - the season is early, boys are still growing and growing into their enlarged bodies, private schools are holding some players out and the U18 carnival hasn’t even started. Still lots to learn about. Patrick Cripps is a classic showcase.

As of now, if we want a real gun midfielder, then we need to get picks 1 or 2. I do see some really good midfield options at the 10 to 25 range. There are a bunch of 3rd tall forwards and defenders and some good outside mids.

I am not seeing large numbers of f/s or academy options likely to muck around the order greatly and can’t see anyone but GWS needing points (Green is likely to go early)

Trading. Assuming we do not trade our picks away, I think 3 picks from 15 to 30ish would be great.

Depending where we finish obviously, I would like to be sitting with a pick at the early teen range. If we finish at the pointy end, that might mean giving away our second rounder to go in with an early teens and then a Sydney early 20 range. Nothing then until later would be ok.

As I say, that view is likely to change. It is also highly likely that inside mids jump up the board (ie Brayshaw in 2017) as they are always highly desired. There will be a load of players playing out of position in the carnival so I often chuckle at the crap from some saying “only a flanker”. Example - Berry played attacking half back and screamed to me inside mid. Venables played hff and screamed to me hff or at best outside mid.

We have a good hand and I’d give up our first 3 for Cogs but I’d be reluctant to do so for Kelly.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
What's the depth of quality like in this years pool? Would we be better off keeping 3 picks in the top 30 or look to trade 21 & 30 for an earlier pick (points wise, they're worth pick 9. So lets say trade up for pick 10-12).

We already have Brander, Waterman, Foley, Neill, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, O'Neill, Williams, MAllen, Cameron and Edwards who are all <21 years old.
And with our premiership window open, we're probably in the "quality over quantity" boat right now.
We also have Oallen venables and petracelle under 21 and waterman 21 last week .
Matt allen is already 21 as is rotham

So 16 players 21years or younger .

At the end of the day we still need to take 3 national draft picks maybe upgrade edwards as one .

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I know that- but there’s plenty that want him to retire so we can get into the draft.

Which was my point, actually. We’d be losing depth for only a chance that player becomes more than depth. Unless a player had a career ending injury I don’t think it’s worth getting involved in.

You dont want a free hit at the next Tim Kelly or Willie Rioli who had been over looked for years?

You get it right and its another quality player who has replaced a fringe player.

Take the emotion out of the issue and its a no brainer. But would like the player involved must be 100% ok with it.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
You dont want a free hit at the next Tim Kelly or Willie Rioli who had been over looked for years?

You get it right and its another quality player who has replaced a fringe player.

Take the emotion out of the issue and its a no brainer. But would like the player involved must be 100% ok with it.
I get that- but for every Tim Kelly and Willie Rioli there’s 20-30 guys who just end up being in that awkward 25-35 bracket. (which is where Fraser sits, as an example.)

I don’t have an issue with us trying to explore it and coming to an arrangement with a player that won’t be on the list next year. I suspect a few clubs will have one or two. Footys a tough business.

My worry is that we could do all that work, and not end up with the player we want. It’s a gamble & I’m just not convinced that the next Tim Kelly is waiting in this bunch.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/23aff5b552a4c6428a358deacb3127f8

Chris Scott’s head was on the pillow in a Cambridge, Massachusetts bedroom but his mind was spinning at a million miles an hour.
In that lonely pre-dawn hour the Geelong premiership coach was getting his head around life after Tim Kelly.

Scott was completing a Harvard University study course, but back home master recruiter Stephen Wells was completing a trade deal for Kelly that Scott had officially endorsed.

All West Coast needed was to pull the trigger and hand over picks 20, 22 and their 2019 second-rounder in exchange for Kelly and the Cats’ 2019 third-rounder.

Geelong had just handed the reigning premiers the most electrifying young midfield talent to enter the game that season.

Then Scott’s phone beeped again.

“It was about 4.30am US time and I was in Harvard so I had a little bit on my mind over and above the Tim Kelly thing, which was clearly the most important thing on my mind,” Scott revealed to the Herald Sun this week.

“So then the text message came through 15 minutes later. It’s always Wellsy, he takes responsibility for it. The text just said NO DEAL.

“I could not have been happier.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/23aff5b552a4c6428a358deacb3127f8

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Tim Kelly is exactly what our midfield needs. Our mids were shown up by dee speed tonight.

And you think one player can just fix the whole team? Would help but we have issues deeper than that.

yeo and shuey are plying well but then that’s it in midfield. Redden was asleep entire night. Sheed was good but inconsistent. Gaff is a finisher. When team is under pressure he is a bit of a liability. But that’s the nature of the light wingers

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
And you think one player can just fix the whole team? Would help but we have issues deeper than that.

yeo and shuey are plying well but then that’s it in midfield. Redden was asleep entire night. Sheed was good but inconsistent. Gaff is a finisher. When team is under pressure he is a bit of a liability. But that’s the nature of the light wingers

We just won a flag and are sitting 3rd on the ladder right now.
What deep issues do we have? Or do you think we should be flogging teams by 10 goals every week?

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Tim Kelly is exactly what our midfield needs. Our mids were shown up by dee speed tonight.

lol. Dees mids are slow, laziness defensively and Gawn made them look quick.

Kelly won’t fix contested ball and ground ball efforts across the board necessarily but he’ll add to the inside/ outside mix.

If we don’t finish top four I’m easy on Kelly and Coniglio. Draft looks more attractive the longer we play this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
We just won a flag and are sitting 3rd on the ladder right now.
What deep issues do we have? Or do you think we should be flogging teams by 10 goals every week?

Once in nine games would suffice.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
lol. Dees mids are slow, laziness and Gawn made them look quick.

Kelly won’t fix contested ball and ground ball efforts across the board necessarily but he’ll add to the inside/ outside mix.

We should add a ruckman with an athletic leap and aggressive ground level game...

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
We should add a ruckman with an athletic leap and aggressive ground level game...

Williams does ok.

Naitanui’s output over 22 rounds is isn’t something to bet the future of the club to on exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back