List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't we do the same? Because i can certainly picture it.

I mean who's spot does he take? Hutchings is our weakest mid but we're tagging these days so he stays in by default.

Which means Acres does indeed get pushed forward to "fit" him in. If he even makes our B22 at aho's spot dll.

I'd normally be against using a 2nd round pick on midfield depth to sit in the WAFL... but our track record of pulling a young midfielder out of our ass with later picks and developing them in the WAFL ourselves is atrocious. Wouldn't surprise me if we locked Acres in for that fact alone.

Unless it's a top 8 pick, West Coast wet their pants with drafting midfielders.

The argument on whos spot does he take is a somewhat moot point though.

We cant stop drafting or trading in potential good mids because we cant fit them into the current team because everyone is fit and in form.

This week Acres would take Yeo's place for example.

Touch wood we are having a decent run with injuries and the injuries we've had arent mids until now.

There is also rotations and the bench. I could see a fit in form Acres taking Venables spot, Petro or Masten's. He could allow Shuey to spend more time across half forward as he enters his 30's to play the high half forward role and more outside with stints on ball still.

We seem to have good depth everywhere bar the mids. Age wise we also look good and with later 2nd rounders why not use that on midfield depth.

The argument on whos spot does he take is a somewhat moot point though.

We cant stop drafting or trading in potential good mids because we cant fit them into the current team because everyone is fit and in form.

This week Acres would take Yeo's place for example.

Touch wood we are having a decent run with injuries and the injuries we've had arent mids until now.

There is also rotations and the bench. I could see a fit in form Acres taking Venables spot, Petro or Masten's. He could allow Shuey to spend more time across half forward as he enters his 30's to play the high half forward role and more outside with stints on ball still.

We seem to have good depth everywhere bar the mids. Age wise we also look good and with later 2nd rounders why not use that on midfield depth.

So... you're spending a 2nd round pick on a player who gets to cover Yeo for 1 game. Is that correct?

You don't think that's a waste? Why couldn't we get a mature age rookie midfielder (Bolton, Schloithe) to do that rather than spend a 2nd rounder?

I'm putting Acres in the same camp as Sheed. We're targeting him because there is still potential there and he hasn't peaked. He's only going to improve when he plays AFL. No point trading him in just cover everyone, he'll go backwards playing for the Beagles each week.

Basically what i'm saying is if you're after depth only, you should use later picks on it.

Would love it but I don't think Collingwood would entertain trading him. He's a ready made replacement for Pendlebury and Beams.
Likewise I don't think he'd be interested in going from one team where he struggles to get a crack to another where he'll have the same problem.
If he left Collingwood it would be for money and opportunity (Gold Coast?), neither of which we can offer that much of.
He would suit essendon perfectly . They lack big bodies at the coal face with all their small mids .

But wouldn't we do the same? Because i can certainly picture it.

I mean who's spot does he take? Hutchings is our weakest mid but we're tagging these days so he stays in by default.

Which means Acres does indeed get pushed forward to "fit" him in. If he even makes our B22 at all.

I'd normally be against using a 2nd round pick on midfield depth to sit in the WAFL... but our track record of pulling a young midfielder out of our ass with later picks and developing them in the WAFL ourselves is atrocious. Wouldn't surprise me if we locked Acres in for that fact alone.

Unless it's a top 8 pick, West Coast wet their pants with drafting midfielders.
We probably would but I'd have more faith in him running through the midfield than anyone back in the WAFL so I'd be ok with him playing off a HFF for now. I think he's a better option than Venables/Masten/Ah Chee/Smith and we need some younger midfield depth. I'd like us to go head to head in the midfield more often as well when there's no obvious option for Hutchings to play on.

So... you're spending a 2nd round pick on a player who gets to cover Yeo for 1 game. Is that correct?

You don't think that's a waste? Why couldn't we get a mature age rookie midfielder (Bolton, Schloithe) to do that rather than spend a 2nd rounder?

I'm putting Acres in the same camp as Sheed. We're targeting him because there is still potential there and he hasn't peaked. He's only going to improve when he plays AFL. No point trading him in just cover everyone, he'll go backwards playing for the Beagles each week.

Basically what i'm saying is if you're after depth only, you should use later picks on it.

No not just cover for Yeo for 1 game, I expanded on that a fair bit.

Acres could either displace one of 3 or 4 fringe players when fit and in form and / or add to rotations. He could allow Shuey to play more high half forward as he enters his 30's and spread the load. Plus cover injuries.

Basically Acres could be what we hoped Venables would develop into and still may (hopefully). 25 next year so a good age for our group.

Our 2nd could be a pick in the mid 30's after academy picks.

Sure a 3rd would always be better (we dont have one though) and I do like Devon Robertson but he likely will be gone by then.

But we don't need him as depth only, we need someone who's going to step up and be a best 22 midfielder as guys like Shuey and Redden hit their 30's. If we think he can replace them in a couple of years then I think it's worth spending a bit on him, no one back in our WAFL team has really shown that kind of potential imo.

Is that the royal "we"?

Your question received the appropriate response.

The appropriate response is to answer a simple question instead of acting like a child and being a smart arse.

Other "appropriate" responses from you.

"So what?"

"Good luck"

Anyway I know a Gunner Longshanks" style poster when I see one. You related by any chance?

The appropriate response is to answer a simple question instead of acting like a child and being a smart arse.

Other "appropriate" responses from you.

"So what?"

"Good luck"

Anyway I know a Gunner Longshanks" style poster when I see one. You related by any chance?
You are free to ask more intelligent questions.

The rest of your post is just pretty ad hominem, which doesn't interest me.

I see both your points.

But this whole, "Acres will free up Shuey or Redden to play HFF" isn't something that turns me on.

We've just sorted out our midfield balance by playing the correct number of forwards. It sounds to me you're both advocating that we "squeeze" Acres into the lineup by either playing him off the HFF, or have another one of our mids play off the HFF instead. Amounts to the same thing.

You're justifying squeezing another midfielder into the team. Who says any of these campaigners can even play HFF? Goal kicking mid Shuey is the most likely, but that's a stretch. We've proven before that carrying too many midfielders is bad for our scoring and rectified that last year with Rioli, Ryan and Cripps. We've also rectified it recently pissing off Marsden.

As far as displacing another fringe player, who? Waterman? Allen? Petch? All forwards, all young, all should be playing.

It's like you're having Acres replace Marsden, either throwing our midfield balance out, or living in the WAFL.

I'm aware the pick we'll cough up will be in the 30's, i don't hate the idea, given i suggested it in the first place, but i'm not completely sold on it either :shrug:

Can I be honest and say WTF is with the insane amount of posts in this thread?

We are 4th on the ladder ffs. We have much bigger fish to fry then November 2019 guys.

All this talk feels a bit loserish. We are not some botton dwelling flogclub whose sole purpose is to look at the draft and be like "In 6 years time we will be awesome, we got the pick 1 with pick 14 i reckon, awesome"

We are above this kind of talk at this time of the year. Lets come back to this thread in October when we can begin planning the threepeat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are 4th on the ladder ffs. We have much bigger fish to fry then November 2019 guys.

All this talk feels a bit loserish. We are not some botton dwelling flogclub whose sole purpose is to look at the draft and be like "In 6 years time we will be awesome, we got the pick 1 with pick 14 i reckon, awesome"

We are above this kind of talk at this time of the year. Lets come back to this thread in October when we can begin planning the threepeat
I guess list management is something people find endlessly fascinating. I must admit, the season-long discussions about certain players, with no new information, can get silly. Like Gaff last year and Kelly this year. Nothing happens until October/November. It's like two hours of previews for a 10-minute film.

I see both your points.

But this whole, "Acres will free up Shuey or Redden to play HFF" isn't something that turns me on.

We've just sorted out our midfield balance by playing the correct number of forwards. It sounds to me you're both advocating that we "squeeze" Acres into the lineup by either playing him off the HFF, or have another one of our mids play off the HFF instead. Amounts to the same thing.

You're justifying squeezing another midfielder into the team. Who says any of these campaigners can even play HFF? Goal kicking mid Shuey is the most likely, but that's a stretch. We've proven before that carrying too many midfielders is bad for our scoring and rectified that last year with Rioli, Ryan and Cripps. We've also rectified it recently pissing off Marsden.

As far as displacing another fringe player, who? Waterman? Allen? Petch? All forwards, all young, all should be playing.

It's like you're having Acres replace Marsden, either throwing our midfield balance out, or living in the WAFL.

I'm aware the pick we'll cough up will be in the 30's, i don't hate the idea, given i suggested it in the first place, but i'm not completely sold on it either :shrug:
Yeah fair point, there's no immediate spot for him in the midfield. I just don't trust us to pick someone who can play in the midfield with our second rounder so why not use it on someone who likely can? We need a succession plan for the midfield and ruck and I think we should focus on that this off-season given we seem to have more than enough key position youth coming through for the next 12 years.

I guess list management is something people find endlessly fascinating. I must admit, the season-long discussions about certain players, with no new information, can get silly. Like Gaff last year and Kelly this year. Nothing happens until October/November. It's like two hours of previews for a 10-minute film.

Loser clubs find it endlessly fascinating because they have nothing on the ground that can fascinate them. We do, so what gives?

We are the only board on this website with such a absurd thread thats actually doing well. Rest of the loser clubs have these threads pumping though and with good reason

I see both your points.

Is Acres even a legit inside midfielder? Doesn't seem to get volume. I'd still take him if the price is right.

Just don't read the thread?
I don't really see how it's an issue, people can focus on more than will we/won't we win this week and whether we should drop Masten.

It's the Robbie Gray, Gary Ablett, Michael Walters (flog) type of HFF who gets 20 touches and 1-2 goals we're all wanting.

The type we hoped/hoping Venables would be.

Can Shuey move into that role soon? Possibly, but he's also our best clearance midfielder.

Candiru Acres is pretty much Sheed before Gaffs suspension. Less productive. In and out of the team, not consistent enough.

Needs a defined role and a good run at it. IF we don't have a defined role for him, he'll be the same player he is at the Saints IMO.

Granted I haven't seen him play more than a handful of times but it seems like when he's fit and gets time on the ball he can rack up the touches.
Strange that he's not a more regular fixture in the Saints midfield. It's not like it's star-studded.

Candiru Acres is pretty much Sheed before Gaffs suspension. Less productive. In and out of the team, not consistent enough.

Needs a defined role and a good run at it. IF we don't have a defined role for him, he'll be the same player he is at the Saints IMO.
By defined role, presumably you mean full-time midfielder?

I guess list management is something people find endlessly fascinating. I must admit, the season-long discussions about certain players, with no new information, can get silly. Like Gaff last year and Kelly this year.
Could not agree more. The Kelly saga has been done and then done some more. At this stage it is an irrelevant discussion as he is firmly entrenched in the Geelong push for finals and nobody knows where he is at. He is certainly not opening up and for all we know he could be firmly into a discussion about staying at Geelong. Until he says the words "I want to got to WC" all discussion is just fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back