List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Green is a gws academy prospect likely to go top 3. So we could trade gws our two second round picks this year for one of their first rounders (got one off bombers). Then use that first round and our first round pick for Kelly.

3 draft picks used to get a out of contract Kelly surely Geelong will need to give ,
Wce their 2nd Rd Pick plus a player possibly Narkle back
or
the Geelong’s 1st rd Pick back ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does any one know if WA v SA will be on FoxFooty on Saturday or have fox stopped broadcasting the games? Can’t seem to find it on the FoxFooty guide.

Does any one know if WA v SA will be on FoxFooty on Saturday or have fox stopped broadcasting the games? Can’t seem to find it on the FoxFooty guide.

They usually have the coverage if the U18 games are on midweek so maybe the last few weeks when in Melbourne ..

No to narkle for me . Didnt rate him in his draft year and i still dont . We have plenty of small forwards.

Narkle is more of a midfielder and that shadow guy said if we got Kelly than Narkle could possibly be packaged into the deal ....

Narkle is played out position most of the time. If he was sent over with Kelly i wouldn't be to dissapointed.

Kelly would make our midfield A++ if he keeps his current form into next year. But i worry that trading out two first rounders will deny us a chance to draft any decent mids for the future with our core group not getting any younger.

Narkle is played out position most of the time. If he was sent over with Kelly i wouldn't be to dissapointed.

Kelly would make our midfield A++ if he keeps his current form into next year. But i worry that trading out two first rounders will deny us a chance to draft any decent mids for the future with our core group not getting any younger.

Use the Swans 2nd 2019 plus our 2019 2nd to get a mid to late 1st and grab Robertson. A pure high production inside mid.

Job done.

Last edited:
Use the Swans 2nd 2019 plus our 2019 2nd to ger a mid to late 1st and grab Robertson. A pure high production inside mid.

Job done.

Good thinking and I like that idea :thumbsu: , you can also add Geelong Falcons, Cooper Stephens into the mix as well at that point in the draft.

He is a not getting as much love on draft boards as he should , due to the fact that he has missed the championships as a result of a leg fracture in April.
He is the Falcons Captain and keep an eye on his form in the TAC Cup, in the final stretches of the season as his injury was a 6-8 week out.

I would have liked us to give him a block of games at least but it’s pretty clear he doesn’t endear himself to match committees

I agree with your sentiments about AhChee and Jetta for example got a good run of games before they finally knew what to do with him admittedly his best at Sydney was very good..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume that FoxFooty only show the Melbourne games. That has been my experience. The board can probably tell you how to get the Youtube feed.

Would we have enough in the salary cap if a miracle happened and we landed Kelly and Cogs ?

No, but you don't need to. You need less than 1% of the salary cap to contract one player. If a player is interested in joining then creative accounting will look after the rest. The salary cap in its present form is a bit of a joke.

As good as those guys are, adding players is no guarantee of success. Essendon played finals in 2017 and have since added Devon Smith, Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Dylan Shiel. They finished 12-10 again last year (not enough to make the 8 in 2018) and are currently 5-6. Excepting that Stringer is a dickhead I'd take all of those guys at WC no worries at all.

No, but you don't need to. You need less than 1% of the salary cap to contract one player. If a player is interested in joining then creative accounting will look after the rest. The salary cap in its present form is a bit of a joke.

As good as those guys are, adding players is no guarantee of success. Essendon played finals in 2017 and have since added Devon Smith, Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Dylan Shiel. They finished 12-10 again last year (not enough to make the 8 in 2018) and are currently 5-6. Excepting that Stringer is a dickhead I'd take all of those guys at WC no worries at all.

How does the 1% of the salary cap thing work ?

Id rather go for Coniglio as he can be that leader in the midfield. He will only cost us salary cap and we get to keep our picks , all we need to do is get creative with the salary cap which id back us to be able to do so.

Coniglio is the superior player. Been doing it longer, runs both ways and has shown he can perform in finals and in sides so bad they only win 1 or 2 for the year. Geelong fans would cry that it's a knock on Kelly but he simply doesn't have the same experience at AFL level, hence he he was completely tagged out of games by Matt De Boer and didn't know how to fight through it like a 70, 80, 90 gamer would.

Id rather go for Coniglio as he can be that leader in the midfield. He will only cost us salary cap and we get to keep our picks , all we need to do is get creative with the salary cap which id back us to be able to do so.

Coniglio is a restricted free agent, if GWS matches then we are forced to do a trade.

How does the 1% of the salary cap thing work ?

1% of the salary cap is $125k. That is about all you need to sign one player for one year.

The average value of the contract isn't a factor. If we signed Coniglio for $900k per season over 8 seasons all we need to do is pay him $7.2m in that time period. We don't need to find any more than the $100k ish for 2020.

It's a silly system because it just gives strong teams the ability to borrow from the future. A salary capped competition doesn't want Lynch joining Richmond, Scully and Wingard joining Hawthorn, Beams joining Collingwood and Coniglio/Kelly joining WC. It is supposed to limit movement of players to the good teams that are theoretically paying their players more. Instead of teams saying 'OK everyone take a bit less than you could get on the open market so we keep a core together' a club can just have a great list in 2019 and then add another player or two for 2020 and effectively pay them in 2021, 2022 and beyond. Clever use of the rules but the rules themselves don't help their intended purpose.

Cogs as an unrestricted FA would be free in trade currency but as a restricted FA, GWS wikll be able to and I believe would match any reasonable offer. Unlike St Kilda or Norf who have cap space to burn, I am seeing the players GWS have let go that will allow them to keep the core of what they have left (they may let Paton go cheap to free up space). Therefore an offer or $1 mln pa by us would be matched and I believe we would need 2 first round picks to satisfy GWS.

Cogs is the ducks nuts in my shopping list. He offers inside grunt, clearance ability, is a goal kicking mid, can play as an accountable midfielder and is very handy resting forward. In addition to that, he ticks the "family and friends" columns and is just needing to come to us to tick the flag column.

Here we go - Perth Now running with a story that Gerard Heally has Kelly set for the "biggest payday in history" and Geelong getting two first round draft picks minimum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back