List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you'd probably be the only recruiter in Australia.

De Goey on his own is worth more than Brown and Vlaustin was unlucky not to be an AA this year. They are 23 and 25 yrs old.

I agree with all the others, but as a matter of being impartial, every club, including North would do De Goey & Vlaustin for Brown.

De Goey OR Vlaustin for Brown

Fwiw respectfully disagree.

Papley is the only player left that I am genuinely interested in for this trade period (other than the likes of Hill, who obviously isn't coming to North). Not sure what the hold up is with the Papley to Carlton deal, so I wonder if there is an opportunity to make a late play for him.

Agree with others that we should look to trade our 2020 1st pick, in particular to a club like Sydney which has academy players next year as the 2020 pick is effectively worth 20% more to them.

What about our 2020 1st pick to Sydney for Papley and pick 44? Sydney seem to want more, but I think that is very reasonable value for Papley and if time is running out they might become more reasonable. Could come down to whether Sydney are genuine in wanting to help Papley get home, or if they would rather keep him and will only let him go for overs.

We would then have picks 8, 27, 44, 47 and 73, but only have 3 list spots available, so could then do a further trade like:

Send picks 47 & 73 to West Coast (which currently has picks 46 & 91 as it's first two picks) for their 2020 2nd pick. Would get us a pick back in 2020 and we go to the draft with picks 8, 27 & 44.

Alternatively, send picks 27 & 44 to Gold Coast for pick 20 and their 2020 4th rounder. We would then go to the draft with picks 8, 20 & 47, with the pick 20 to give us a much greater chance to get Gould or Jackson. But not sure that Gold Coast would go for this. It gives them a 3rd rounder which they currently don't have, but they have brought in a few players already and might not have the list spots available.

While the media say it’s not... personally I reckon it is linked to Daniher deal. Syd don’t want to lose a key player but will relent if they get a key back in another deal....prob don’t see a first rounder as an immediate replacement

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine wanting to trade your star forward because you don't agree with his social beliefs.

Imagine being offended that a supporter(28 year member fwiw) wants to win a premiership rather being lauded for community standards.

I want to trade him because I want 3 top 10 picks which I feel is our best shot of putting together a group of young players with enough talent to compete at a point in the future, certainly not because of his beliefs.

Fwiw, 5 + 9 + 2020 R1 for Browny and 27 would be a great deal for us. Certainly trading with the enemy of a lifetime wouldn't be at the top of the list, but they are the ones with the picks and the need.

Trading Ben Brown?

If you have a good key forward you leave that spot alone. Be happy you found one without needing a top 5 pick to get them in the first place. Walk away from any deal.

The fact it's a player with great involvement with the club and is hands down the most marketable bloke on the list? Slam dunk. Not even the #1 pick would coax me into a trading discussion.

If Brown was 22 and was likely to be in his prime when the group of talented youngsters we already have come through together, then of course, but in 5 years, when Thomas and co are hitting their peak we are going to need to find another FF anyway.

Carey, McKernan, Martyn, Picket and Bell all played in the 99 premiership. Perhaps you could remind us how many more premierships we've won since they were "traded." And then explain again why trading your A graders for two lottery tickets improves the team.

You have to seperate the strategy from the execution.

We could have chosen Bartel, Kelly and Sam Mitchell in 2001, then what?

In any case, I'm coming from the point of view that we are ****ed anyway, so why not?

Call it faux impartiality bordering on dispassionate or whatever you want, I personally don't think we can lose from the proposed trade.

From the Fox Footy Trade Chat .......

Q: ( More a statement really) North massive losers this trade period, all the clubs around them are improving through trades yet north doing absolutely nothing
less

A: Strange time of year to not have a list manager

If Brown was 22 and was likely to be in his prime when the group of talented youngsters we already have come through together, then of course, but in 5 years, when Thomas and co are hitting their peak we are going to need to find another FF anyway.

He's 26. He'll hit 2020 1 year younger than Jack Riewoldt was in 2017. Imagine if Richmond had applied the same logic to him?

We only need to get our house in order once in the next X seasons Ben Brown plays for us for it to work. Some mythical mark in 5 years when everything comes together is just that - mythology.

Successful retoolings or rebuilds are usually apparent inside 3-4 seasons.

Q: ( More a statement really) North massive losers this trade period, all the clubs around them are improving through trades yet north doing absolutely nothing
less

Do we get the #1 pick for losing trade week?

less

Who has significantly improved? West Coast and that’s it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it?

Picks 5 & 9 2012-2016.
  • Setterfield, Brodie
  • Parish, Weideman
  • De Goey, Cockatoo (pick 10 as pick 9-Moore was a father-son)
  • K.Kolodjashnij, Salem
  • Stringer, Vlastuin
Yeh-nah. I wouldn’t swap Brown for any of those pairings.

De Goey and Vlastin would make me take notice but I still wouldn’t swap Brown for either as (putting aside his own inarguable quality) it would leave us exposed in a key position.

I wouldn’t trade them for brown either, that’s not the point I was making. The point is the group of players above is a lot better than the 20 year old group you put forward earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

less

Who has significantly improved? West Coast and that’s it.

They always seem to forget internal player development - one of the things that have made Richmond so good.

I seriously think that after last year's s**t storm, a quiet trade period is exactly what we need. (Obviously minus Pittard and Polec. I'm talking about the addition of four- five new players in our round one team. Half of which looked likely to not play in our team again)

I wouldn’t either, that’s not the point I was making. The point is the players you have named there are a million times better than the 20 year old names you put forward.

You claimed drafting precision is way higher now. I've argued it's not necessarily so.

The principles of trading haven't changed as much as you claim in those 20 years because you still have fixed list sizes, mandated yearly list changes and the national draft still being the main avenue to list the best national talent.

You also have 2x additional teams scanning the landscape and the use of academies to offset any supposed increase in recruiting smarts across the league.

It was a crapshoot then and it's a crapshoot now.

So.... Ben Brown was clearly not up to it for AA (apparently) but when it comes to attempting a destabilising rumour, he's the best target?

Why wasn't the article about * making a play for the mighty Assist King TM Tom Hawkins?

Or Buddy Franklin? Or Harry ****ing McKay?

No, a bit like the International Rules series - when it suits an agenda our players are suddenly highly rated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back