List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

its not uncommon for beers originating in tropical areas to contain high percentages of rice hulls and corn maize (dextrose) given that the cost of importing barley and wheat which doesnt grow in these regions is expensive. this is what results in the watery taste of pretty much all south east asian, mexican , japanese and central african beers. there is no excuse for CUB and Lion to be churning out crap such as outback jack and great northern in this country however other than to save money.

Those beers and Corona are okay when its hot, humid and the middle of summer tho. That's why they make watery beer up north.

Is that coz said moderator had literally no mates at that point?

But yes, the bong after eight beers a very poor strategic decision. Arel Steinberg on Ben Brown bad.

Its a great idea.

People should do it more.

I am not sure if it is the drugs talking or not, but if Brown was happy to move then I would consider it. If we are happy to put Wood on the table for a second round pick then Shirley Brown would be expendable for pick 5 and 9. I think if we opened up the forward 50 and kicked it to Wood as often as we kick it to Brown currently, I am not sure we would be that far off. If you can kick 21 goals from fu** all supply, how many more would he kick if we actually bombed it to him all the time. Brown gets a lot of his goals from free kicks, it is not like he is Wayne Carey.

I think the talent pool we have between 19-21 is the strongest concentration of talent we have and that group hasn't been f’ed over by a decade of s**t coaching. I think our squad is good enough to play finals. Is it good enough to win a flag? We haven't played with the consistency required, don't know if Shaw can fix our problems in the short-term but we have lost Thompson and Wright, we have a fairly narrow window with Higgins, Goldy and Tarrant. Is the arse of our team going to fall out of our pants in 2 years time? How much longevity is in our 28ish year old players? If Ziebell and Cunnington don't have much gas left past 30.

I mean, it seems like a stupid scenario on face value, Brown has been kicking a good chunk of goals, he has value to us obviously. However, if we can't address what have been a decade long problem with inconsistency, poor development and lack of opportunity for younger players then let the train of disappointment just chug off towards the next stop.

Nobody saw Larkey or Zurhaar being the players they are today and they got to where they have via mediocre development across the club. What can we do with McKay or Xerri with some good development? We have players like Walker, Taylor and Scott who should be seen as exciting forward prospects.

I think LDU and Thomas will make our midfield very exciting, imagine adding picks 5, 8 and 9 with elite mids and then having all these kids just a handful of years between them, would give us potentially a long period of time to have more than just a one or two year spurt before the team falls apart with retirement.
If the offer was two picks in the top 5, that would an offer worth considering. But never to Essendon.

Things change though. Swans won a flag and contested grand finals with predominately strong bodies, we may need to tailor our approach to our available resources.
Looking at the Sydney premiership side of 2012, they had Hanneberry (181cm), Jack (178cm), Lewis-Jetta (183cm), McVeigh (184cm) , Bolton (181cm), Smith (183cm), Shaw (182cm) , Parker (183cm) and Bird (180cm).

- these guys would all be just about our shortest players.

- most are/were solid for their size but low 80kgs

- Kennedy is/was an outlier.

That Swan's profile was similar to our 90s premiership sides' height and weight profile.

Our side now is literally full of 186cm + players who weigh in at over 85kg plus. Dumont for example is taller and heavier at 186cm, 87kg than all those Sydney players. In fact the whole side apart from Anderson, Simpkin, Williams and Turner are taller and heavier than that Swans side.

Somewhere along the line our recruiters (and some other clubs') just thought taller is better and with that generally heavier.

Big tall mids and footballers generally do not spread as well. They don't win ground balls or move side to side as well - you don't see tall, heavy wicket keepers for the same reason. And people that size generally don't run as well over 10km.

Fyfe, Martin, Cripps and Kennedy are freak exceptions.

No doubt there is a role for 186cm, 85kg plus footballers - we just have way too many on our list.

Looking at the Sydney premiership side of 2012, they had Hanneberry (181cm), Jack (178cm), Lewis-Jetta (183cm), McVeigh (184cm) , Bolton (181cm), Smith (183cm), Shaw (182cm) , Parker (183cm) and Bird (180cm).

- these guys would all be just about our shortest players.

- most are/were solid for their size but low 80kgs

- Kennedy is/was an outlier.

That Swan's profile was similar to our 90s premiership sides' height and weight profile.

Our side now is literally full of 186cm + players who weigh in at over 85kg plus. Dumont for example is taller and heavier at 186cm, 87kg than all those Sydney players. In fact the whole side apart from Anderson, Simpkin, Williams and Turner are taller and heavier than that Swans side.

Somewhere along the line our recruiters (and some other clubs') just thought taller is better and with that generally heavier.

Big tall mids and footballers generally do not spread as well. They don't win ground balls or move side to side as well - you don't see tall, heavy wicket keepers for the same reason. And people that size generally don't run as well over 10km.

Fyfe, Martin, Cripps and Kennedy are freak exceptions.

No doubt there is a role for 186cm, 85kg plus footballers - we just have way too many on our list.

That's a slight left turn on the agility discussion but one I agree with you on.

Under Bryce Lewis we generally seemed to avoid drafting:

-sub-180cm players
-Players of Indigenous background
-West Australians

We seemed to follow the size profile you mention which not only gave us several players with higher centres of gravity - we also got stuck with a heap of flankers.

The dogs, tigers and eagles sides of the last 3-4 years all had their share of 'genuine footballer' smaller guys. These blokes usually have a weight distribution that helps them hold their feet.

I swear North Melbourne players make up 50% of all promotional photos to make other players look better.

We should charge for it, get a 10% increase in our cap to be paid for by the team that selects the player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a slight left turn on the agility discussion but one I agree with you on.

Under Bryce Lewis we generally seemed to avoid drafting:

-sub-180cm players
-Players of Indigenous background
-West Australians

We seemed to follow the size profile you mention which not only gave us several players with higher centres of gravity - we also got stuck with a heap of flankers.

The dogs, tigers and eagles sides of the last 3-4 years all had their share of 'genuine footballer' smaller guys. These blokes usually have a weight distribution that helps them hold their feet.
By agility I just meant speed of sideways movement, stopping, turning, propping. And obviously Lewis and co felt that taller mids and players in general did not lose agility or it wasn't an issue. The point is they do lose agility and it is an issue.

Aside from playing big, tall, midfielders and often 5 forwards above 189cm, we have McDonald and Atley at 189cm playing on 171cm powerpack small forwards like AMT and Walters at 177cm. It's clear as day that Marley Williams is better equipped to play on those types but he can only play on one of them. He gets injured and we're even more susceptible.

I swear North Melbourne players make up 50% of all promotional photos to make other players look better.

Based on the footage used across the last few weeks Joe Daniher only ever played one good game in his career, against us last year. Surprised he wasn't delisted.

By agility I just meant speed of sideways movement, stopping, turning, propping. And obviously Lewis and co felt that taller mids and players in general did not lose agility or it wasn't an issue. The point is they do lose agility and it is an issue.

Aside from playing big, tall, midfielders and often 5 forwards above 189cm, we have McDonald and Atley at 189cm playing on 171cm powerpack small forwards like AMT and Walters at 177cm. It's clear as day that Marley Williams is better equipped to play on those types but he can only play on one of them. He gets injured and we're even more susceptible.

I remember Leigh Matthews fapping off about building a side of 190cm utilities. Wonder if Brad and by extension Bryce sipped from the same philosophy cup?

Fwiw I think Brisbane's success had next to no connection to the above philosophy or Leigh's eye for spotting talent.

I remember Leigh Matthews fapping off about building a side of 190cm utilities. Wonder if Brad and by extension Bryce sipped from the same philosophy cup?

Fwiw I think Brisbane's success had next to no connection to the above philosophy or Leigh's eye for spotting talent.
I don’t think Leigh could build a side to save his life. He’s no where near the Clarkson level of coach.
but if he was given the GWS list we’d probably be talking of a fifth or sixth straight.

I swear every time I see 186cm next to Froggy, I do a double take. Is it just me or does he just look smaller/shorter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back