List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

The dude shouldn’t of been playing as well. Should of got a fine for running on the ground like a crowd member would. :tearsofjoy:
Selecting Daniher for that game (and backing up for Anzac Day, six days later) will go down as one of the biggest backfires in recent history.

I swear North Melbourne players make up 50% of all promotional photos to make other players look better.

I know what you mean, but this was magnified recently by the endless of footage of Daniher kicking that goal on us again and again.

The biggest issue to 'rating' a draft period is what is the measure?

There are many more variables so ultimately it comes down, as it usually does with our media, to a popularity contest, personal grudges and conflict of interests and click bait
I'd appreciate it if you didn't refer to them as 'our media'. The media. They're not my media.

I remember Leigh Matthews fapping off about building a side of 190cm utilities. Wonder if Brad and by extension Bryce sipped from the same philosophy cup?

Fwiw I think Brisbane's success had next to no connection to the above philosophy or Leigh's eye for spotting talent.
I think you're right, Matthews might have said that but Voss (183cm), Black (185cm), Power (180cm), Akermanis (177cm), the Scott brothers (182cm), Hart (175cm), Ashcroft (184cm), Johnson (180cm) were big parts of those sides.

And Pagan' s teams were similar - we had a lot of 183cm players or shorter in '96 - Schwass, Stevens, Rock, Scott, Freeborn, Laidley, Archer, King, Allison and Anderson. That's 10 out of the 21. Really versatile.

Sure the game has changed but not that much - it's not basketball. The ball is still on the ground a lot.

Last edited:
And Pagan' s teams were similar - we had a lot of 183cm players or shorter in '96 - Schwass, Stevens, Rock, Scott, Freeborn, Laidley, Grant, Archer, King, Allison and Anderson. That's 11 out of the 21. Really versatile.
I had to check that. He's 182cms. Quite amazing in light of the fact that he often took and, more often than not beat, the opposition's gun KPF. He gave away 15cms to his all time b*tch, Richo.

So when my wife assures me that size isn't everything, maybe she really means it. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to check that. He's 182cms. Quite amazing in light of the fact that he often took and, more often than not beat, the opposition's gun KPF. He gave away 15cms to his all time b*tch, Richo.

So when my wife assures me that size isn't everything, maybe she really means it. :thumbsu:
Arch loved a bit of arm chop action.

The biggest issue to 'rating' a draft period is what is the measure?

Is it number of deals done? (some 'experts' conveniently disregard the cost of said acquisitions

Is it quality of players brought in? (In which case it would take a year or two to assess their impact)

Is it ability to retain players? (disregarding clubs like Essendon holding clearly disgruntled players that don't want to be there)

Is it landing 'big fish'? (and in the process disregarding the weakening of said club's draft position)

There are many more variables so ultimately it comes down, as it usually does with our media, to a popularity contest, personal grudges and conflict of interests and click bait

North lost no players, picked up a 20yo former No.11 pick, and improved its draft position markedly. Yet some 'experts' will find a negative spin on that.
It’s a combination of gut-feel and the bar room test. I thought everyone knew this

So 10 players under 6 feet/1.83m tall in their GF side. At least 7 in 2017 tho i haven't checked properly.

In 2018 the eagles had 4 players under 6'/1.83m and another 4 at that height in the GF side.

Dunno if it matters based on that.

So 10 players under 6 feet/1.83m tall in their GF side. At least 7 in 2017 tho i haven't checked properly.

In 2018 the eagles had 4 players under 6'/1.83m and another 4 at that height in the GF side.

Dunno if it matters based on that.
Howabout the Dogs? And also how many of the 22 in the last 4 flags were under 180?

That's a slight left turn on the agility discussion but one I agree with you on.

Under Bryce Lewis we generally seemed to avoid drafting:

-sub-180cm players
-Players of Indigenous background
-West Australians

We seemed to follow the size profile you mention which not only gave us several players with higher centres of gravity - we also got stuck with a heap of flankers.

The dogs, tigers and eagles sides of the last 3-4 years all had their share of 'genuine footballer' smaller guys. These blokes usually have a weight distribution that helps them hold their feet.

Worth a look, could really slide. 174cms

Rhai_Arn Cox. Be good to have a Cox out there with Bonar

The 2017 WA U16s State Academy member showed off his flair and offensive tricks in the forward half for the Royals. He collected 14 possessions, recorded two inside 50s and kicked a goal in a solid performance. As a small forward, Cox boasts excellent goal sense and the ability to take strong contested marks – similar to how West Coast star Liam Ryan plays.

1571447901044.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back