List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not our problem how they choose to manage risk. And no delisted players would ever be picked up if this begged question drove decisions.

People are assuming an extra tall defender takes opportunities from Durdin and McKay, but he could just be handy depth under Shaw (like Campbell has been).
I just don't reckon he's very good. If he was Brisbane would have kept him.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Walker...

Walker...

I'd rather play Goldstein at full-back.

He's actually not that bad mate.

He took 16 marks against Port in round 3 (4 contested), and 12 marks against the filth in round 5 (3 contested).

Stays on the ground for ~90% GT also.

I would rather we had given Thompson another year than pick up Walker.
Pick the best 20-22 year old key defender available. That way we have a mature body, more cover down back and potentially a player who could be apart of our future. That makes more sense to me than wasting a spot for an average footballer who will be nothing more than a stop gap.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the moment Walker is a better player then Durdin and McKay and he is still just 26 years old with experience. Covers our depth and means players need to perform , don’t just gift games because you are young enough.

Actually, I think that is a very reasonable assessment.

Pick the best 20-22 year old key defender available. That way we have a mature body, more cover down back and potentially a player who could be apart of our future. That makes more sense to me than wasting a spot for an average footballer who will be nothing more than a stop gap.

Thompson didn't want another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson didn't want to play on. There were reports on here that he was retiring at the end of the season from early on, maybe before r1. And that was before he busted a nut.

He took 16 marks against Port in round 3 (4 contested), and 12 marks against the filth in round 5 (3 contested).

I agree, he isn't that bad but I think it's the safe option and we know Walker's ceiling.

It's time to throw McKay and Durdin to the wolves. They've had their protection. Time to see what they've got. Still Daw, Tarrant, and EVW.

We need to recruit a tall in the draft but I think Walker is a waste. The type you get if you're collingwood or geelong and pushing for a flag before your window closes.

They're some good numbers.

My questions on him are around why he lost his spot and who took it.

He's only 26 so he's got plenty of footy in him that's not an issue.

Thankfully people smarter than me are making these decisions so if we want him, then fine, get him.

Team balance? I dunno.

I remember at the end of last year (2018) when we played them that he was arguably their best player (23 disposals, 13 marks, 12 x 1%ers)

Thankfully people smarter than me are making these decisions so if we want him, then fine, get him.

Surely the resident doomsayer supercoach posse knows more than them? :D

He's only 26 so he's got plenty of footy in him that's not an issue.

That's what I'm curious about. Brisbane are pressing and effectively only really have Andrews and McAdams. Gardiner is okay but still I would have thought Walker would be sticking around.

Just speaking to my dear old dad (lions fan) who reckons walker is very good, but lacks a little hardness at the ball.

I would be happy to see us pick up Walker, just as I would if we picked up Mitch Brown. Neither of these boys are champions, but they are better than their delisting suggests. Both played with Geelong before moving to Brisbane and *essendon respectively. I watch Geelong more than any other team and in my opinion, both were unlucky to get moved on from what I saw.

The powers that be at both of these clubs are, I think, seeing themselves further advanced than they might actually be. In the case of Brisbane their delisting of Nick Robertson seems a strange move as well and maybe 2020, might not see them faring quite as well as they expect after this year's finish.

As many have said here, Walker (or Brown) will only push out the likes of Durdin and McKay, if those boys don't improve their games next year. Having depth in a list is a very important factor, perhaps more important than many realise. Because lists now are only 40 odd plus a few rookies, some of those on the list will be newly drafted and not yet ready for the big time (and may never be ready), hence experienced depth is crucial should injuries strike.

And in our case I just automatically expect us to be hit with injuries these days.

I also remember the nightmare game against the Eagles in the latter rounds of this year, when Scotty T was out injured and Taz was forced to play almost a lone hand down back. He needs some experienced support. Woe betide if Taz goes down.

I don't know how embed the clip, but he probably should have got mark of the year last year.

I would be happy to see us pick up Walker, just as I would if we picked up Mitch Brown. Neither of these boys are champions, but they are better than their delisting suggests. Both played with Geelong before moving to Brisbane and *essendon respectively. I watch Geelong more than any other team and in my opinion, both were unlucky to get moved on from what I saw.

The powers that be at both of these clubs are, I think, seeing themselves further advanced than they might actually be. In the case of Brisbane their delisting of Nick Robertson seems a strange move as well and maybe 2020, might not see them faring quite as well as they expect after this year's finish.

As many have said here, Walker (or Brown) will only push out the likes of Durdin and McKay, if those boys don't improve their games next year. Having depth in a list is a very important factor, perhaps more important than many realise. Because lists now are only 40 odd plus a few rookies, some of those on the list will be newly drafted and not yet ready for the big time (and may never be ready), hence experienced depth is crucial should injuries strike.

And in our case I just automatically expect us to be hit with injuries these days.

I also remember the nightmare game against the Eagles in the latter rounds of this year, when Scotty T was out injured and Taz was forced to play almost a lone hand down back. He needs some experienced support. Woe betide if Taz goes down.
If we drafted Mitch Brown I would have stopped supporting North until both he and whoever made the decision to draft him left the club.

I really don’t mind the idea of Walker , just as good a player as Marcus Adams imo & gets on the park more often . As said before is only 26 , will probably play more games next season than Durdin if we pick him up and that is totally on Sam’s head ... unfortunately he’s proved zero in terms of an ability to either be an interceptor or play one on one with an opponent also his body isn’t exactly reliable .He desperately needs to pull his finger out or the game will pass him by .

If we drafted Mitch Brown I would have stopped supporting North until both he and whoever made the decision to draft him left the club.

What a truly great decision that would be by you. :rolleyes:

Have a look at the blokes statistics before you make uninformed comments like that. Has played 70 games, averages 13.3 disposals, 5.6 marks and just under a goal a game. Not a champion but a good depth player, just like Walker.

We need tall defensive depth. If that's Walker so be it.

I am normally in the camp of clearing some room for young players to breath and flourish (every few years) ie Larkey but that's contingent on the young player smashing down the VFL to suggest they're ready.

Neither McKay nor Durdin have exactly strung together Tom Mitchell/NEAFL type of careers in the VFL thus far so a bit of friendly competition for their spots should be expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back