List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the way our year has gone since Brad left (off field anyway) then its understandable that people think we're a shambles off field.

However I think there is a clear direction there. Not just the former North people either. Most of the new off field recruits have had premiership success. At lower levels sure, but Rawlings and Shaw have both been involved in premiership success at AFL level as well - one as a player the other in a footy department. So they have a group of people who have run successful teams and a bit of AFL premiership experience at the leadership level both on and off field.

I genuinely think the people in the footy department now think the list is good enough to win a flag and maybe needs a bit of tweaking but that's it. Or at least think its worth a shot with those players next season to really know where they are at.

Also the trade talent on offer this year isn't great, especially compared to next year.

If we have a very good year next year but identify clear needs then we can tell our trade targets:

"This is what we've got, this is what we did with it, we think you will make a difference here (and perhaps this player will make the difference here as well) and that'll be enough to put us into flag contention."

Possibly that lack of desperation may have influenced other players too. "We'll take you if you want to come here but only for this and we're not chasing you" would put other players off I reckon, but if they aren't what we really want so why bullshit about it.

That is where I think we are at right now so i'm actually pretty happy with the way the trade eon is turning out. I don't think we are really that desperate for those outcomes (Papley and Howard.) More that they were nice if they happened but otherwise bfd.
Yes. And if it takes us a trade period to turn things around and convince people of the strength of the new direction, this is as good a one as any to not be in. Kelly was always going to the Eagles and no one else who seems to be gettable (which includes going after players well in contract) is that exciting.

Correct Jared Rivers is the new defence coach, Rawling mid and main assistant and whitecross forward..... dev have brown with two underlings being Scotland and Adams. So while no list mgr plenty of coaches!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes. And if it takes us a trade period to turn things around and convince people of the strength of the new direction, this is as good a one as any to not be in. Kelly was always going to the Eagles and no one else who seems to be gettable (which includes going after players well in contract) is that exciting.

Exactly.

Maybe - but what I hear is that we had a red hot crack at both Papley and Howard. What we (I) don't know is why did they go somewhere else. Did we not offer enough $$$, did we not present well? Really don't know but I somehow think money would not be the issue.

You worry far far far too much gk. You always seem to be putting a negative slant on what the club is doing behind the scenes and I for one am sick of reading that stuff.

Can we give them weapons? Hedge trimmers for example.

1_EdwardScissorhands.JPG

I think that's a reason for Ahern playing there.
We’ve got a few others in Tarrant, Durdin, Pittard but he has a point and we are in need of a dashing HBF.
I thought Jones would’ve been a good fit and who knows he still could fall to us with all the trading stkilda is trying to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got a few others in Tarrant, Durdin, Pittard but he has a point and we are in need of a dashing HBF.
I thought Jones would’ve been a good fit and who knows he still could fall to us with all the trading stkilda is trying to do.
Sam Murray? Would be cheap and can definitely dash.

Disappointing to miss out on Howard given we flagged our interest.

But, without any inside knowledge, I suspect part of the reason for the St. Kilda preference is that they can offer him some guaranteed game time.
a) He is no walk-up start with Tarrant, Daw, Durdin, McKay back there, and
b) I do not think Rhyce is the kind of bloke to tell players they have a guaranteed AFL spot.

Either way, I am glad we did not overpay. Some (read: most) of the Port supporters on the D&T board were/are expecting the world for a player who ended the season in the SANFL.

Yeah good point, I'd love to see an Andrew McLeod type running out of our backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back