List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

People are being a bit narrow minded with B-Mac.

He missed opportunities due to Thommo & Tazz doing so well, then Majak got in and finally got going, then when Maj got injured he got his shot this year under an absolutely idiotic game plan that made the entire backline look bad, before succumbing to pneumonia resulting in a long layoff. Then when he got back, Durdin had grabbed the spot.

As for whether he "want to be an afl FOOTBALLER", the bloke has done non club related off season training every year mate. There's nothing wrong with his application or his ability. He just needs to sharpen up his smarts (experience) and get a chance for a game in the seniors.

From 4/9/2018:

View attachment 773843

From 28/11/2018:

View attachment 773844

From 12/2/2019:

View attachment 773845

From 15/3/2019:

View attachment 773846

This is spot on!

Also, a quick look at the tail end of last year after his pneumonia show that he was in the bests 3 of the last 6 games including the last two matches and and BOG in round 14.

Give the block a chance.

Also - tell me having twin at Carlton getting matches isn’t eating him alive to bust his arse!!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I know what he's said on paper and you're right he has trained hard. I don't know if he is doing what he knows is expected vs. what he truly wants to do.

I completely agree people have written him off early and he did have a tough year - I've definitely factored in those variables when posters have thrown him under the bus throughout the year and during the trade period. I just worry mentally because if he has that switched on I don't think anything will hold him back.

I get that people are getting impatient with his arrival, but he is KPD, had injury issues and a gun defensive combination to crack.

I would again remind people to analyse him against Taz at the same age:

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that people are getting impatient with his arrival, but he is KPD, had injury issues and a gun defensive combination to crack.

I would again remind people to analyse him against Taz at the same age:

I do think Taz is the perfect example of why patience is required. Multiple serious injuries, moved around the ground, a career-threatening injury, and arguably the best defender over the past 5 seasons.

My take is question marks around McKay's want to be an AFL footballer. I've said it since the start after hearing about his mindset during his draft year. I think it's what is holding him back and will ultimately lead to his undoing. IMO he will leave the game early.

I hope I'm wrong because he has the athletic ability to be a really good player.

You've been saying that for a while (and aren't the only one.)

I had a look at the Brions board this morning to see what they thought of Walker. Less knocks on him than I've seen on Durds and Mackay here. Possibly questions about consistency and urgency/intensity. FWIW.

Certainly wasn't considered a spud and the general consensus was he deserved to be on a list somewhere but wasn't able to stay in the Lions backline. Some posters had really high opinions of some of his games, especially in 2018.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
And there were plenty happy to express opinions that it would be more than 12 months to recover from his catastrophic injuries. If he's playing seniors in the first half of the year it's pure bonus.

I'll put my hand up, as I thought he was stuffed.

When I got early reports of serious leg injuries combined with him being in a life threatening state, I assumed he had attained an "open book" pelvic fracture and almost bled out as a result. These sort of injuries typically result from serious trauma (car/bike collisions), and can have very complicated rehabs.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Talk of Majak maybe not making it back is so ******* sad to me. Would be a massive tragedy if he doesn't get back for at least one more game.

I don't think anyone knows that this is the case.

Talk of Majak maybe not making it back is so ******* sad to me. Would be a massive tragedy if he doesn't get back for at least one more game.
I was at the game where he did his hammy and it looked a whole lot worse to me. It might just have been the gravity of the situation. He had been looking really good up to that point.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Reckon a few people are being too harsh on Durdin. Still played fewer than 20 games, not sure what people expect at this stage.

That said, happy to pick up Walker. At worst, he can come in and do a decent job to cover injuries, while putting pressure on McKay and Durdin to perform. Or he may just be the really solid key defender we need to replace Thompson, all at a bargain price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather we had given Thompson another year than pick up Walker.
Pick the best 20-22 year old key defender available. That way we have a mature body, more cover down back and potentially a player who could be apart of our future. That makes more sense to me than wasting a spot for an average footballer who will be nothing more than a stop gap.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thompson didn't want to play another year. I would rather pick up Walker who has shown what he is capable of if McKay and Durdin aren't up to it yet/at all. I also pray nothing happens to Robbie.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry. I'm dumb. Where are we at with draft picks? Off the senior list is Thompson, Hrovat, Wright and Watson but Bonar and Zurhaar go on. So does that leave us with just 2 live picks?

I think we had one extra spot

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I posted previously in this thread that I liked the look of a kid named Coughlan for Werribee. You can't tell me there isn't someone in the state leagues worth a go. After all, it was Thompson's pathway and Spud'S too IIRC.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I think we had one extra spot

So we take Walker as a DFA and that's the extra spot. And we go to the draft with #26 and #27 but pass on #47 and #50 even though we traded in #50 from Melbourne?

I honestly really don't get a lot of the draft stuff at the end of the year so don't hold this against me. I swear, I'm asking honest questions. But assuming I'm on track here, then getting Walker as a DFA looks really irresponsible. Nothing against Walker - I reckon he would be handy depth as a rookie pick. But missing the finals 3 years on the trot, finishing 13th and investing only two picks in any national draft doesn't add up.

1572766744298.png

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we take Walker as a DFA and that's the extra spot. And we go to the draft with #26 and #27 but pass on #47 and #50 even though we traded in #50 from Melbourne?

I honestly really don't get a lot of the draft stuff at the end of the year so don't hold this against me. I swear, I'm asking honest questions. But assuming I'm on track here, then getting Walker as a DFA looks really irresponsible. Nothing against Walker - I reckon he would be handy depth as a rookie pick. But missing the finals 3 years on the trot, finishing 13th and investing only two picks in any national draft doesn't add up.

View attachment 773980

It tells me we have something planned for 26 and 27, or that we will wait till rookie draft

guapo

All Australian
Aug 24, 2005
fitzroy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Apologies if I'm labouring the issue ... I was attempting to make the point that had Waitey played on, Larkey may well have been on the periphery or playing for Old Trinity now. Even following Waite's retirement, Brad was reluctant to play Larks in a forward line with Brown.

Spot on RB, totally agree

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which is what The acurate one has been saying, and I'm of the same view.

Some people actively want Majak to not get up. And never have wanted him to get up.

Yep, but I will say and no doubt you're the same. I hope Ben can turn it around. Ben needs to listen to his coaches.

On Majak , the hammy wasn't serious , they figured he'd done more than expected and deserved a rest.

Will add though he is nervous about whether he can get back to where he was. Understandable of course.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Sorry. I'm dumb. Where are we at with draft picks? Off the senior list is Thompson, Hrovat, Wright and Watson but Bonar and Zurhaar go on. So does that leave us with just 2 live picks?
If Marstermind thinks he's dumb, the rest of us are completely ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back