Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I'd be very surprised if Garner is - the ROI would be literally in the negative by so far.

You'd keep a 45-year-old Garner on the list though tbf. Enormous man crush.

(Not that I disagree. He'd be shopped purely to save his salary.)

Wilkinson I fear for because he didn’t really show too much in the VFL at the start of the year and is now injured. Really needs to make every post a winner from here on in.

Red can stay on the Cat B rookie list.
I beg to differ and thought he was really starting to show some class. He kicked several goals on the run from around the 50 prior to being injured and looked classy. Is another that is happy to chase and tackle and would be incredibly unlucky to not get another chance on the rookie list. IMO.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Wilkinson should absolutely be kept.

Good skilled small forward who started life as mid.

At the very least he's a good emergency and adds valuable depth.
With Zurhaar's emergence, Turner being an important cog in the machine, and Garner fit, I suspect it may come down to a direct competition between Wilkinson and Hosie as to who stays and who goes. That's more than enough small/mid forwards imo.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Garner is pure class, his bullocking styling has proven his worth in the limited number of games he has played. He demonstrate a great deal of aggression, brutal at contests and is willing to put body on the line.

Are your over-30s over the hill? Who plays on, who goes - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-10/are-your-over30s-over-the-hill-who-plays-on-who-goes

North Melbourne

The club's youth are receiving more opportunities, and the results are spectacular so far. The midfield and forward line are thriving because of that, but a huge decision awaits on Todd Goldstein. The Roos are skinny in the ruck behind him and would need to recruit a replacement if he goes.

Todd Goldstein
The unrestricted free agent has suitors, including St Kilda, and is a quality ruckman, but turns 32 mid-next year, so it might be mutually beneficial to part ways. GO

There will likely be AFL options for Todd Goldstein if he's let go by the Roos. Picture: AFL Photos
675685_ll.jpg

Shaun Higgins

North's most recent All Australian, who is contracted until the end of 2020, remains a star and may have currency elsewhere, but he still has a big role to play at Arden St. STAY

Robbie Tarrant

Has arguably never played better than this season and is the bedrock of North Melbourne's defence. Contracted for two more years and isn't going anywhere. STAY

Scott Thompson

The oldest Roo at 33 but continues to perform well and his ability to play on smalls and talls adds to his value. A nervous wait ahead. STAY Marc McGowan

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Big future at our club.

I tend to agree.

But room has to be made. If he's out of the question it has to be others.

He's tracking well, but I wouldn't exactly call him safe at this point.

Nielson had a near BOG performance at AFL level and he was cut at the end of his 4th year.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I tend to agree.

But room has to be made. If he's out of the question it has to be others.

He's tracking well, but I wouldn't exactly call him safe at this point.

Nielson had a near BOG performance at AFL level and he was cut at the end of his 4th year.

I call bullshit on Nielson and Hartung's cut, both of these players would have been very handy players. Nielson would take thompson's role and hartung as an explosive burst mid to be rotated off the bench. Brad did some silly things.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey, is there any more news to our interest in Papley from sydney and Brandon Ellis from Tigers? Seems like Ellis has a lot of people interested. It seems like Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon is linked to pretty much each of the possible names mentioned in the rumour files.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I call bulls**t on Nielson and Hartung's cut, both of these players would have been very handy players. Nielson would take thompson's role and hartung as an explosive burst mid to be rotated off the bench. Brad did some silly things.
Nielson was a dour stopper. To say he was capable of playing Thompson's role is well off the mark. Hartung was upgraded to Polec. We also drafted Bailey Scott. Both astute management decisions.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Zurhaar's emergence, Turner being an important cog in the machine, and Garner fit, I suspect it may come down to a direct competition between Wilkinson and Hosie as to who stays and who goes. That's more than enough small/mid forwards imo.

Hosie is not a small forward type, he is a slightly undersized big forward with a great leap and good hands. I would see Hosie playing the 3rd mobile tall role that Mason Wood currently does rather than as a crumbing type forward.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd be very surprised if Garner is - the ROI would be literally in the negative by so far.

In economics, you would call that the sunk cost fallacy. You should never look at an investment decision through a lense of what you have spent in the past, only what the future return on the decision in front of you is. It doesn't really matter what draft pick we used on Garner, how long we have spent getting him fit etc. The only equation we should consider is will we be a better team by keeping him or moving him on given choice available in front of us.

In economics, you would call that the sunk cost fallacy. You should never look at an investment decision through a lense of what you have spent in the past, only what the future return on the decision in front of you is. It doesn't really matter what draft pick we used on Garner, how long we have spent getting him fit etc. The only equation we should consider is will we be a better team by keeping him or moving him on given choice available in front of us.

Yes, but economics is largely a fraud pursuit.

Garner stays on list until out of contract, if he's playing well, re-sign

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, but economics is largely a fraud pursuit.

Garner stays on list until out of contract, if he's playing well, re-sign

Absolutely untrue about economics. I am not advocating we get rid of Garner, I am just saying we should only make decisions with a forward-looking perspective. You can't get sunk costs back.

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are your over-30s over the hill? Who plays on, who goes - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-10/are-your-over30s-over-the-hill-who-plays-on-who-goes

North Melbourne

The club's youth are receiving more opportunities, and the results are spectacular so far. The midfield and forward line are thriving because of that, but a huge decision awaits on Todd Goldstein. The Roos are skinny in the ruck behind him and would need to recruit a replacement if he goes.

Todd Goldstein
The unrestricted free agent has suitors, including St Kilda, and is a quality ruckman, but turns 32 mid-next year, so it might be mutually beneficial to part ways. GO

There will likely be AFL options for Todd Goldstein if he's let go by the Roos. Picture: AFL Photos
675685_ll.jpg

Shaun Higgins

North's most recent All Australian, who is contracted until the end of 2020, remains a star and may have currency elsewhere, but he still has a big role to play at Arden St. STAY

Robbie Tarrant

Has arguably never played better than this season and is the bedrock of North Melbourne's defence. Contracted for two more years and isn't going anywhere. STAY

Scott Thompson

The oldest Roo at 33 but continues to perform well and his ability to play on smalls and talls adds to his value. A nervous wait ahead. STAY Marc McGowan
The Roos are skinny in the ruck and would need a replacement, but it might be beneficial to part ways. Marc McGowan you are a smart man

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hypotheticals:

1. The AFL decides to assist the Gold Coast by giving them an additional pick at the beginning of the draft with the condition they must on trade it for a senior player or players. What package of players could and should North put together to trade for that pick?

2. The same question but the draft pick is end of first round?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hey, is there any more news to our interest in Papley from sydney and Brandon Ellis from Tigers? Seems like Ellis has a lot of people interested. It seems like Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon is linked to pretty much each of the possible names mentioned in the rumour files.

Papley will be far too expensive for us to consider IMO, wage and trade wise. Revise if Longmire comes. I think he stays put this year unless somebody comes in with overs.

Remember the rumour last year Ellis was seen at Arden St during trade week? Maybe the deal was done then. I'm kidding but there's no smoke without fire.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nielson was a dour stopper. To say he was capable of playing Thompson's role is well off the mark. Hartung was upgraded to Polec. We also drafted Bailey Scott. Both astute management decisions.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well the Thompson of today is certain a class above but Thompson did start off exactly like Nielsen, as a stopper by in 2007, it took him until 2013=to start playing this counter attacking and intercepting role that once belonged to Hansen.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hypotheticals:

1. The AFL decides to assist the Gold Coast by giving them an additional pick at the beginning of the draft with the condition they must on trade it for a senior player or players. What package of players could and should North put together to trade for that pick?

2. The same question but the draft pick is end of first round?
1. to obtain the number 1 pick in the draft? It would need to be a 3 player package including a first 18 player - say Wood - then two of McMillan, Garner and Tyson. Getting those guys to agree to go to the Gold Coast would take some hefty contracts from the Gold Coast.
2. end of first round - pick 19 or so - 2 of the last 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back