List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's get some cheap gems, someone like harley bennell is as close to a superstar we will ever get. Him and hall can support each other and before you know we get 2 jets running around in our mid. 2019 is the bottoming out year we needed in the new 6-6-6 era, we simply haven't adapted very well. We do however need to turn the list over a bit. Not so much as to cut how many but redefine the players' roles and address our weakness. We are not going to overcome our traditional weakness by getting player xyz but by restructuring the mid. For instance, shaun higgins going is not necessarily a bad idea. We are consistently falling into a pit where we rely on 1 running mid and gets enveloped by the good teams. This model goes back to the days of daniel wells and brent harvey before that because this worked during our premiership era. Today this model will not work. We need to restructure the entire mid and be creative in that the players we should have at the center bounce might not the mid yet. For instance ziebell, cunnington, higgin center clearance is a sure way to fail as Ziebell and Cunnington are complete liabilities when the ball is in the hand of the opposition. Also ziebell's disposal is C- at best, his method of disposal is a hack kick forward when it lobs up and drops into a clustered defense. Cunnington has really s**t disposal skill by foot as well. Higgin is the sole clean player and he can be easily enveloped. When the opposition gets the ball, Z and B do very little. We need the more nippy players in the square during the bounce where they do need to be very physically strong but they need to be leech like in tenacity and pressure to ensure the ball does not get moved too quickly out when we don't get our hands on it. We need to be imaginative with the player development, i can already see the vision forward in that Zurhaar, Garner will need to go into the midfield and preferably centre square and we will gain 2 explosive mids. LDU as a fulltime mid is no suprise and neither is Thomas' eventual elevation to mid.

The ace in the spade for our mid evolution will be Atley, as i have said many times, he is getting too comfortable with his 20+ pos on a half back line where he runs a bit, kicks it around do some hand-balling. He needs to be right in the center square where the action is at, Atley is the type of player that gets worse the more time he has to think. He needs to be running and running all the time. His main assets is his running skill and that can be trained into his defensive weapon so he is a no brainer in the mid. Unfortunately thus far, our high development department hasn't been able to get the best out of him hence half back would be require the least amount of maintenance. Atley's decision making skill is B- at best and not really good at locking people down in 1-v-1 situations. In the midfield however, there is much less 1-v-1 but more many-v-many hence his pace would be more effective in ushering and herding the opposition. Along with a few other things to go right, Atley move will deliver us the flag. I know this to be true, my instincts are never wrong. I called the Daw to defense right back in 2014, i even emailed the club. Got a run of the mill reply from the reception about 'doing everything it takes to improve the club'.

This leaves the big question over Ziebell and Cunnington, in someways they are obsolete because the game has gone past them. Cunnington is a bit like Diesel Williams but his type is not really that useful for modern game. These two will require imagination from the coach to get the most out of as they can still be valuable but not allowed to be used in a conventional way. Ziebell and Cunnington need to be given new roles in 2020 as medium marking forwards as our aim is to get them to be matched against the opposition's small/medium defender. We should try to isolate them to be in 1-v-1 situation. Brown is actually the mobile forward where Ziebell and Cunnington to be the 'power' forwards as they are immensely strong for their size. So why not use their physical strength to advantage. Also at ground level, they can still do their things as they are half decent midfielders. The opp's defensive 50 is much more congested then the middle hence a lack of pace will not be as expose which is something that is greatly lacking in Z and B. Does this mean Z and B can no longer be in the midfield, no, ziebell should be used sparingly to enter the midfield fray as a form of enforcer to spike up the aggression or smash open a contest. Cunnington is more useful at stoppages during general play as he could use his superior strength and handball skills when the congestion is higher.

I agree snake, where do you see our gaps? For mine we still lack run, poise and ability to hit a target from the back half.

Ahern & EVW will give us that skill down back. McDonald and EVW are two currently unavailable that we see as valuable contributors. Daw we're banking on coming back.

Zurhaar will spend time in the guts in 2020. Will Walker is another we expect to be a permanent fixture, I'm unsure where he best fits? tbh.

hall was a bust in 2019 but that doesn't mean 2020 will be the same, is what we need. Bailey Scott is a hard runner both ways. Curtis Taylor and Hosie (may play next week).

Where do 'we' ( BF posters) see the likes of LDU fitting in? One of the few we have that has value. We need a quality small fwd x2 would be awesome.

Xerri- what's the plan? Is looking mighty fine imo.

I’m certainly hoping that we see LDU fitting in right in the guts bursting from packs feeding BBB and Larks lace out. And spending a little time deep forward trying to complete his mark of the year bid.

Walker looks pretty adaptable. HB, HF, Mid. Could slot in anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting a gig on that show is a pretty cool experience tbf, especially if he doesn't think he'll make it at AFL level or doesn't have the drive for it.
Apparently wasn’t enjoying it anymore and knew he wasn’t getting a new contract. Admitted it was harder than he expected and really looked up to the boys that made it.
Good on him, no hard feelings and well done to him for even getting drafted.

Help me out where I said that?
Everyone agrees he is 2 years in the making.
My question is why isn’t he a rookie?
If everyone agrees he is two years in the making and the rules now allow rookies to play at any time, what difference does it make whether he’s senior listed or rookie listed? Not preventing anyone from getting a game.

Fact or fiction?

His stocks are so low. Would be a great get.
Reckon North would be sniffing around a lot of good players but wouldn’t read anymore into it.
Saying that...would be good, but speculative talk will keep increasing as the season closes.
Reckon Dangerfield, Ablett and Kelly will all be linked to North by season end.😂

North are sniffing around Ollie Wines.
2 months ago I would have said "not another inside mid" but our midfield needs a total overhaul. Plus we'd be buying low with him. I dunno. As long as we keep our first rounder, must hit the draft hard.

2 months ago I would have said "not another inside mid" but our midfield needs a total overhaul. Plus we'd be buying low with him. I dunno. As long as we keep our first rounder, must hit the draft hard.
I guess with Ollie you know what you’re getting. Draft is always a risk.

Apparently wasn’t enjoying it anymore and knew he wasn’t getting a new contract. Admitted it was harder than he expected and really looked up to the boys that made it.
Good on him, no hard feelings and well done to him for even getting drafted.

Why didn’t you break the news earlier if you “apparently” knew he wasn’t getting another contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back