List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's hard to know when chook is trolling or not.

If this is true then either a rebuild is in the wind, or there is a mega trade in the works.

Mega trade?

I’d say we will be lucky to get a pick under 30 for Higgins based on history. He’s turning 33 next year.

I think talk of a first rounder is probably unrealistic if you look at what 30+ year olds have gone for over the last 5 years.

The only one of even remote value was Deledio, but I’d consider GWS disposable pick situation as an outlier in this discussion.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The trio of Higgins, Cunnington and Goldstein has to be broken up, it's been three years now and all we've seen is that it's one of the worst groups in the competition. Higgins too easily becomes unaccountable, Goldstein doesn't follow up his ruck work at stoppages and Cunnington is too slow. You can have those players in a side as those traits don't stop them from being good players, but putting them all together is just a recipe for disaster.

It would have made some sense to move Higgins to a new role, but being moved to half-back was one of the main reasons he was unhappy at Footscray. I don't think there would have been the option for him to stay in the midfield next year, as if we're lining up round one 2020 with Goldstein, Cunnington and Higgins in the centre, then it's going to be another long year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Different players to be honest. I think Murphy was recruited as a Tarrant/Thomson type replacement. I think the Tom Wilkinson and Tom Wilkinson are more at risk of delisting than Murph.

No offence there WD but the day Murphy attempts to play either of Tarrant or Thompson's roles is the day we see a key forward break the 20 goal barrier.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The trio of Higgins, Cunnington and Goldstein has to be broken up, it's been three years now and all we've seen is that it's one of the worst groups in the competition. Higgins too easily becomes unaccountable, Goldstein doesn't follow up his ruck work at stoppages and Cunnington is too slow. You can have those players in a side as those traits don't stop them from being good players, but putting them all together is just a recipe for disaster.

It would have made some sense to move Higgins to a new role, but being moved to half-back was one of the main reasons he was unhappy at Footscray. I don't think there would have been the option for him to stay in the midfield next year, as if we're lining up round one 2020 with Goldstein, Cunnington and Higgins in the centre, then it's going to be another long year.
Agreed with everything you put forward here and I've been of the same opinion for a long while and said as much.

Individually, they are all good to very good players, but as a collective are predictable, unaccountable and pensioner slow. A recipe for disaster. Realistically we need another 3/4 rotations on top of what we already have and those rotations all need to be able to run both ways.

Personally I'm looking forward to what a new mid coach/head coach combo can come up with in regards to structural personnel and tactics in the centre square particularly.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I was starting to think that Seriously! was bringing some good stuff to the table in recent times, but this Crocker tirade is just bizarre. You're wrong on this one mate, absolutely 100% wrong.

Sounds more and more like that Ziebell dude
No idea

It's hard to know when chook is trolling or not.

If this is true then either a rebuild is in the wind, or there is a mega trade in the works.

He’s a stirrer for sure but we only trade him for a good deal.
Higgo has probably only 2 years max of high quality footy in him and if we can trade him for a 10yr player it’d be a win

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
IMO I see no merit in trading our only All Australian unless its for a first round pick or equivalent quality established player...getting a couple of speculative second or third round draft picks to simply top up our list of mid range players is a waste of time.

Well not really, it’s actually the complete inverse theory.

It’s actually all based on the amount of picks you have and probability.

On average over the last 16 years it takes 9 or 17 picks in the 21 to 30 or 31 to 50 range to pluck an All Australian.

The more picks we have in the range, theoretically the sooner we get an AA.

If we take one pick to the draft each year in this range, we may not get another AA out of that range until the mid 2030’s.

You rely on picking a needle out of a haystack. Obviously some recruiters are better than others, but probability and volume rules above all else.

Picks 1-5 - 2.8 picks needed to get an AA
Picks 6-10 - 6.2 picks needed to get an AA
Picks 11-20 - 5.9 picks needed to get an AA

WD Roo

All Australian
Dec 18, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No offence there WD but the day Murphy attempts to play either of Tarrant or Thompson's roles is the day we see a key forward break the 20 goal barrier.
Thinking more the intercept mark player rather than the KPD. Still a kid and has growing/filling out to do.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Higgo kicked 40 goals off the forward flank in his first year with us.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This one cleared the shark by 150 feet.

Do you really believe based on what you've seen over the past three seasons that those three can be the core of an effective midfield? They're a terrible fit together and exacerbate each others weaknesses. They also have three years of bad form to look back at if you need proof that the group doesn't work.

There's more to building a competitive side then just bringing in as much talent as possible. Our midfield has been routinely dominated by the better sides these past three seasons and I don't see how there's any other solution then limiting how often we run the Higgins/Goldstein/Cunnington combination. We're probably only above the Gold Coast as far as the worst midfield over the last three years, so the plan has to be a little more ambitious then trying the exact same s**t for another year.

Higgo kicked 40 goals off the forward flank in his first year with us.

He may be open to returning to that role, but this wouldn't be the first time he has left a club in order to play his preferred position. If we're going to play him in a position that he sees as a step down, then who's to say he wouldn't rather join a contender if that's already an option he is considering.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Do you really believe based on what you've seen over the past three seasons that those three can be the core of an effective midfield?

Yes.

Their lack of support is the issue.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well not really, it’s actually the complete inverse theory.

It’s actually all based on the amount of picks you have and probability.

On average over the last 16 years it takes 9 or 17 picks in the 21 to 30 or 31 to 50 range to pluck an All Australian.

The more picks we have in the range, theoretically the sooner we get an AA.

If we take one pick to the draft each year in this range, we may not get another AA out of that range until the mid 2030’s.

You rely on picking a needle out of a haystack. Obviously some recruiters are better than others, but probability and volume rules above all else.

Picks 1-5 - 2.8 picks needed to get an AA
Picks 6-10 - 6.2 picks needed to get an AA
Picks 11-20 - 5.9 picks needed to get an AA

This is good data, but the AA has lost significant integrity in recent years.

It's not that there's bad players in the AA, but I would argue that there's equally good ones outside of it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
At the centre clearances, where there's only one other player to support them, they have been abysmal. Unless we're bringing in Patrick Cripps as support I don't think there's much hope for that group ever succeeding in that area.

Pair a quality outside burst runner with Higgins in there and all of a sudden the focus goes off Cunnington, who is elite at the scrimmage.

Goldy can then properly direct the traffic.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Pair a quality outside burst runner with Higgins in there and all of a sudden the focus goes off Cunnington, who is elite at the scrimmage.

Goldy can then properly direct the traffic.

I'd have imagined that Polec's playing style and footskills were meant to approximate that need.

Seriously!

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is good data, but the AA has lost significant integrity in recent years.

It's not that there's bad players in the AA, but I would argue that there's equally good ones outside of it.
You should definitely let the AFL selection committee know who should or shouldn’t be in AA team. With your years of experience on BF I’m surprised they don’t ask you.

Seriously!

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
‘Their’? Don’t you mean ‘our’ 🤔
No I seperate the supporter group into 2 groups.
The supporters that turn up every game to back their team whether they win or lose.

Then there’s those heroes on BF that throw the toys out of the cot when the team loses and constantly threaten to hand in their $50 membership as if it really matters to the Club. Pretend they know football yet have never played at that level and genuinely believe their advice on BF should be taken into consideration by the Club.

You pick which group you’re in.🤔

No I seperate the supporter group into 2 groups.
The supporters that turn up every game to back their team whether they win or lose.

Then there’s those heroes on BF that throw the toys out of the cot when the team loses and constantly threaten to hand in their $50 membership as if it really matters to the Club. Pretend they know football yet have never played at that level and genuinely believe their advice on BF should be taken into consideration by the Club.

You pick which group you’re in.🤔

One of the more ironic posts on BF for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back